Hypnosis help

Apr 3, 2013
hey guys.
i have been wanting to learn a bit about hypnosis for a while now and i was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction. i have never done any hypnosis before so i was wondering. what are some good hypnosis books or courses that are not too expensive but are really in depth.

it would really mean a lot to me if you helped me out!

Mitchell

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
The thing about a lot of hypnosis material (at least the quality stuff) is that it ends up being kinda pricey. however, if you can afford it, I highly recommend picking up Ormond McGill's Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism. I just did a quick google search, it appears you can find it on amazon for as low as 40 bucks at the moment. It's considered a must read for performance hypnosis.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
The thing about a lot of hypnosis material (at least the quality stuff) is that it ends up being kinda pricey. however, if you can afford it, I highly recommend picking up Ormond McGill's Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism. I just did a quick google search, it appears you can find it on amazon for as low as 40 bucks at the moment. It's considered a must read for performance hypnosis.
I agree with you, but I wouldn't take it as a starting material as it is considered outdated by many people. I've been doing hypnosis close-up and on stage for 3 years now, and I started with "Trilby Connection" DVD set. It is excellent starting point, but you should move on to other sources as soon as you get that down.

Dec 29, 2011
Ive dabbled a bit in it, never professionally though.

My main sources were Derren Brown's Trick of the Mind podcast style audiobook things, theres one on magic, memory and hypnosis. The hypnosis one isnt so much aimed to get you started doing hypnosis performances, but it does provide you with a very nice and adequately detailed description of just a quite basic relaxation style sequence, without typical stage or performance styled suggestions, but just imaginative stuff that is a great gateway to get you going; then he goes through and explains some of the phrasing and what makes certain things work and a few standard hypnosis concepts that go together generally to make most hypnosis work. After listening to it a few times, and properly studying what he says you will be able to hypnotise a person, but you wont turn it into an entertaining show, nor do it very fast without additional sources.
He also approaches it very sensibly and with a manner that I've tried to reflect in my own hypnosis, being very respectful of the practise, style and technique. Which as a result, I now much prefer over stereotypical 'comedy' hypnotism routines that tend to be very crude and potentially dangerous, I hope more people can start hypnosis like that, and help steer the whole perception away from that kind of performance.
Aside from mentioning taste in performance and technique, he also clears up common misconceptions and safety concerns very well; with a few included anecdotes including an experience that he had that almost potentially ended his career.
Finally, there is a brief section on his thoughts and ideas about what it is and what it means, which is also quite helpful and very interesting. So you get get quite a bit packed into the 30-40 minutes it takes to get through the whole thing.
So it gets 10/10 from me as a starting point, with that being said I'm not sure about how you would go about getting it any more, as I c ant really remember. It may have been some kind of podcast from his site, but I'm not sure; nor can I remember how much it cost. But if you can get it, its very highly recommended from me.

Aside from that I've spent a lot of time studying the book Reality is Plastic, which is fairly short, and written by Anthony Jacquin, who has released the Trilby Connection, and The Manchurian Approach, which have good reviews just about everywhere. There is also a RIP DVD, which is said to accompany the book that I have, but I've never seen it. Its got very good content, and goes into detail some areas that Derren doesn't in his thing. Its marketed towards beginners, but I feel it still expands upon what I learned from Derren's teaching, and the vast majority of the book contains more advanced material than the other source I mentioned, as it has a lot of actual specific routining, with timing and given lines and performance suggestion ideas and things. It has has very detailed descriptions of some of the more powerful and totally impromptu routines that Anthony has done on the streets with step by step instructions on how he did them.
The whole thing focuses a lot on 'street' style hypnosis, so he has described most of everything in a style where you would eventually take only a second or two after meeting a stranger to have them hypnotised. Its all meant to be totally impromptu stuff, sometimes performed on unsuspecting people.
I've read it through a few times, and gone over specific areas many times, taking notes and summarising and all that stuff, and it was all very beneficial, also recommended.
Downfalls: After listening to Derren, I feel like it misses out on a few little things, but if you were to perform totally in Anthony's style, I feel you wouldn't really need those things anyway.
You are very much paying for the content of the book, if you can call it a book, its really just a spiral bound short story in comparison to some hypnosis books. Its printed on glossy and fairly unpleasant paper, with no covers or spine; its also only 99 pages long, so depending on how much you read, thats not really very much at all. I love to read and collect books, so this kind of stuff may be a little more important to me than to some, but considering the price you pay, what you physically get is not really worth it. Considering the many years of his experiences and knowledge, and the production of the actual book, it feels like he just released for the sake of releasing it or something, I don't know much about what his other stuff is like, as I don't have any of it.
After unloading that a little bit, it was given to me as a gift from someone I care about dearly, so you know, what can I say about the value.
Anyway, still very helpful.

So in summary, Derren's bit, very highly recommended (And all of his other stuff too, I might add, hypnosis or otherwise). Anthony's, also good, very helpful, but I could quite easily see the potential for a better hypnosis source.

If you made it through all that, I'd say both of the sources I mentioned would give you more than enough to complete a very successful career in performing hypnosis, as really, once you learn what you need, you should start developing your own styles and performances and things, and all of the hypnosis that you do will be the result of mostly your effort and practise, rather than the quality of the source; but don't just learn it for free from the internet either.

I hope that I've said something that you can draw something valuable from.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Reality is Plastic is a decent primer but the McGill book is a must!

Anything by Jerry Valley, Ormond, Orville Meyer or Arnold Furst will give you the real dirt, though it's all dated by today's standards.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I started with Reality is Plastic. That book will teach you how to hypnotize, but it is somewhat brief. Kind of a "If you do this, the person will probably be hypnotized" script. It doesn't go very in depth to the process behind the scenes, so to speak.

The Manchurian Approach is basically Reality is Plastic on video - it covers largely the same material, but it goes more in depth. I thought The Trilby Connection was a better set, personally, as it is Anthony teaching someone how to hypnotize from the ground up - which is what you are doing, in theory. It also shows the student going out and messing up and getting better, and that's very encouraging for someone who might be nervous about trying hypnosis for the first time (as I was). Lastly - it has various performances from other hypnotists, some of them not going so well, some of them doing decently. Again - it's nice to see it in the real world, by people who aren't necessarily doing perfectly with it.

I will somewhat agree with Wyatt in that Reality is Plastic is fairly small and not the most beautiful thing out there. But I believe it contains everything one needs to try hypnosis.

I'm still new with this whole thing, so I just recommend Anthony's material and then finding some subjects and doing it. Avoid anything that could be thought of therapy when you first start, though. You don't want to push any boundaries with the law and depending on where you are the consequences could be bad.

Jun 13, 2013
I really like Reality is plastic by Anthony Jacquin and I would also recommend the Manchurian approach by Mr Jacquin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results