I have a question for ya'll.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
What is it with everybody wanting a differently designed card back. Every so often I see somebody post about this or that back design and it just confuses me on WHY they would want one. I don't see the purpose of having a deck with a different back than the standard stuff. I mean go look and see what most spectators use for cards and they'll pretty much have a old deck they bought 25 years ago from CVS or Wal-mart. This is the other thing that sort of annoys me about magicians. Why do they care if you are using bikes or whatevers. I know most will say that "People will think if they aren't bikes, they must be gimmicks". But thinks about this way. People can walk into magic shops and see gimmicked cards made for red/blue bikes. But they DON'T see gimmicked cards made for cheap CVS or Wal-mart or grocery store cards. That's something to think about.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
What is it with everybody wanting a differently designed card back. Every so often I see somebody post about this or that back design and it just confuses me on WHY they would want one. I don't see the purpose of having a deck with a different back than the standard stuff. I mean go look and see what most spectators use for cards and they'll pretty much have a old deck they bought 25 years ago from CVS or Wal-mart. This is the other thing that sort of annoys me about magicians. Why do they care if you are using bikes or whatevers. I know most will say that "People will think if they aren't bikes, they must be gimmicks". But thinks about this way. People can walk into magic shops and see gimmicked cards made for red/blue bikes. But they DON'T see gimmicked cards made for cheap CVS or Wal-mart or grocery store cards. That's something to think about.

To answer your question, they want there own cards because they are cocky and want to full-fill there egos. That's why I did it lol. But I know now that I was really stupid back then.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
I don't really know if you're talking about the average person who does magic or the well known ones such as Dan and Dave.

I can tell you that Dan and Dave wanted their own cards that everybody would know "these cards are the bucks". They also made them specifically with an Aristocrat finish which is they're opinion of the best finish.

As for the average magician, it's always fun to have a deck of cards that no one else has. That's basically the only reason I would get one... or I would get a custom deck with a back design that is not made any more (jerries).

Also, while people may ask if my cards are real or made for what I do, I just tell them straight up that it's a regular deck of cards with backs that "just make them look pretty". They believe me every time and I've never had a problem other than that question.

Just like the Smoke and Mirrors use the Aristocrat finish, decks use different finishes such as Cambric, UV-500, or Linoid. They also have different stocks (how thick the cards are). These two attributes make each deck unique in its own way. We all have our own opinions on which deck we would prefer.

This is why magicians don't want to just use bikes. Besides, most 'cardists' think that bikes are poorly built with rough edges and wear out too easily. While I like bikes and uses them, these are just a few reasons why magicians do not use bikes with all their tricks

Hope I helped,

ZG

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
No I mean why is every so into having things like Guardians or whatever's and not just being content with having a deck of cards that look common place. Like the cheap ones I mentioned from Wal-mart or CVS.

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
It sounds like like you have a problem with artistic back decks. To be honest, I use both; it's kind of nice to pull out a stylish, black centurion deck here and there. It adds a little flare to what you're doing. Think about your deck of cards as if they were your personal business card, Randy. You want your business card to stand out, to catch people's attention. Someone with an ordinary business card may still get hired and perform just as well, but the person with that flashy, stylistic business card will be remembered, they had this ora about them. Not to say that using artistic backed decks are better all the time. Using Bikes or other brands have their advantages as well, like setting up an atmosphere of normalcy before the extraordinary happens.

Plus, I would wager 80% of laymen have never even been to a magic shop, and the ones that have probably don't remember what they saw due to the fact they were 5 years old and their ice cream was melting too quick because it was really hot on that day back in 94". Just a thought :)

Zack

Sep 1, 2007
I like the different designs, plus I collect. Why NOT buy different designed backs on decks? What's the big deal? I don't get it. I will buy any deck that is aritocrat stock. I love my Bee Stingers. Plus, it's a form of art. Just like magic, xcm, and flourishing. Do you have a problem with different styles of double lifts too?

Jan 13, 2008
Why do people drive different types of vehicles, instead of the most economical, cost efficient one? Because everyone has different needs, and really, I think it's just because we can.

I'm guessing that in order to have magic as a part of our lives, most here aren't in the lowest two SocioEconomic Status (SES) brackets...thus, we tend to be a bit more loose with our money and have the option of buying different types of cards, whatever tickles our fancy, really, even if they're a bit more expensive (or a lot more expensive, in some cases).

Personally, I buy them to collect them, and also to give myself (yes, myself) a little bit of variety when practicing, and sometimes performing (although, I tend to prefer Bikes for performing). :)

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
People don't have egos, just because they want cooler looking cards. They use the cards they like. You don't choose to wear clothes you hate. You wear the clothes you like, that doesn't mean you have an ego. It means you have personality. The cards are a way for the magcian express himself.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I buy custom decks for 2 main reasons.

1. Eye candy
2. Better quality then the cards you will find at walmart and CVS.

Though the better quality may mean little when it comes to Magic - it makes a difference in flourishing which is what I put most of my time towards.

I buy custom decks for 2 main reasons.

1. Eye candy
2. Better quality then the cards you will find at walmart and CVS.

Though the better quality may mean little when it comes to Magic - it makes a difference in flourishing which is what I put most of my time towards.
I think he ment, someones own design, that they are getting printed like you. Not custom mass-produced decks.

J.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I think he ment, someones own design, that they are getting printed like you. Not custom mass-produced decks.

J.

Perhaps.

If that's the case. The reason I intend on printing my own deck is because I want something unique and original that I created. I feel the artwork put into the deck design is something to be appreciated and it is a wonderful way to express yourself. I think having this art on a deck is a wonderful way to go about it because it's something I'll always have with me and when I flourish it's like telling everyone around me "this is who I am and it's a passion".

I don't do it for ego as I have no intentions on selling or marketing my custom deck. I just like the idea of creating something useful that is solely yours.

Jan 13, 2008

J.

Randy (the topic creator) has already clarified that he's referring to mass-produced decks (including, but not limited to, Guardians, and the like):

Randy said:
No I mean why is every so into having things like Guardians or whatever's and not just being content with having a deck of cards that look common place.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results