"I know how you did that!" - Oh really?

Apr 28, 2008
With regard to the:
"I saw how you did that!"
"[Insert filler] then you can show us all how!" approach, I've tried that approach, but has anyone ever had it work? All (I think) that does is give them the chance to ruin any "magic" you have your audience believing because he will most likely respond with, "Well, I haven't practiced, but I'm sure you've put in a lot of time. (Or something of the sort)"

I feel like this just prompts a response with a comment about sleight of hand. While everyone "knows" that there is some secret, it's great if they relinquish beliefs for a little bit. Comments?

SG

I think this is the absolute worst thing you can do. What are going to achieve by challenging to do it themselves? If they can't do it you haven't gained anything, you just look very insecure and immature.

Can you imagine a well respected magician such as David Blaine, Wayne Houchin, Chris Kenner etc saying 'I bet you can't do it, go on try it.. LOL you suck you can't do it.

Mar 2, 2008
Yea i sometimes get this. I was doing the slop shuffle and my friend thinks he knows everything but anyways i do it to him. This is what he said.

"Thats good it took some practice probly to flip the card when i wasnt looking. while you were spreading threw the cards."

so he thought i fliped the card while spreading threw the deck?

But if a random person says they know while im in a crowd i basicly talk above them make them shy so they don't talk and waste my time.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I don't know how common this is with other magicians but I seem to get this a lot.

The best way to explain this is by example.

For instance, I performed an ACR for someone at work. Spread the cards, put the spectator's card in the center of the deck, riffle the cards and the card appears on top.

Simple basic ACR.

My co-worker says "I know how you did that. You had your thumb on my card when I put it in the deck, and when you riffle the cards, you pull it out with your thumb and put it on top!" And then leaves completely sure of her explanation, unimpressed with the trick.

Now we all know that this is completely not it. I can't even see how it would be possible to pull a card from the center while riffling the deck, putting it on top of the deck in one fluid motion all just using your thumb.....

But I get this quite a lot, not only with ACR's but with other tricks as well. You won't believe the explanations I got from people when I use an Invisible Deck! It makes my jaw drop.

One person was so sure he was right when he was so off base it wasn't even funny, he actually said to me "I saw what you did, and Frank, you are not a good magician!" I was completely amused by that. I even laughed.

Am I the only one who gets this? If not, I'd love to hear what you've experienced and how you react.

Personally, my reaction is more "huh?" than anything....

dude I know exactly how you feel. I got this one guy that was just cussing me out saying that I sucked SOOOOO badly. I was performing Saw by Sean Fields and the guy said that I had another piece of thread behind my neck. And I just yelled out "WHAT!!!??" That doesn't even make scense!! How does having another thread behind my neck make it look like it's going in and out?? Especially out????!! So dude, you're not alone.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Yea i sometimes get this. I was doing the slop shuffle and my friend thinks he knows everything but anyways i do it to him. This is what he said.

"Thats good it took some practice probly to flip the card when i wasnt working while you were spreading threw the cards."

so he thought i fliped the card while spreading threw the deck?

But if a random person says they know while im in a crowd i basicly talk above them make them shy so they don't talk and waste my time.

I had the same situation with invisible deck. Guy told me that i spoted the card while going trough the deck, and that i turn it fast enough that he couldn't see it.

Ummm, even Bruce Lee couldnt do that...but Chuck Norris maybe...

Jun 18, 2008
USA
Hah, don't worry about it; this happens to me quite often too.

This is totally normal for laymen to do- more so, it's people that you have done magic for several (maybe too many!) times before.

Some of the "outs" that I use include:

- Playing it off and agreeing "wholeheartedly" with the spectator; often times this will cause them to feel insecure about their first self-explanation, and realize that they're a bit stupid. Note: Often times, the spectators that say "oh, I saw that, you're a terrible magician, etc" and then proceed to walk away do this out of jealousy. They didn't see the move, they're terribly confused, and want to make you feel bad/put you down so as to seem cooler to the other spectators.

- Saying "no, that's not quite right, watch again", and then doing the trick again, with a different ending (Card to pocket is really good- act like you messed up, then withdraw it from your pocket; this usually gets a really good reaction.) More often than not, this won't work on the spectator who's trying to make you look bad.

- Jump right into another trick, don't give them much time to respond. Wait for the reaction, then have a card selected right away by the first spectator who's ready.

- Do some fancy flourishes and productions and they'll forget all about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results