I Need Help

Aug 31, 2007
I am totally allowed to use them in high school, but in Middle School, I wasn't.

I just told my teachers, "Look, it is a nervous habit. I have to be doing something with my hands and the cards are at least productive, so I suppose I could tap on a desk or something..."

But I say it in a REALLY careful way. Say it in a way as if you are just considering it as another option that doesn't come off as condiscending or smartaleky.

Hmm did they approve of performing magic or just playing with a deck?

Jul 7, 2008
I am totally allowed to use them in high school, but in Middle School, I wasn't.

I just told my teachers, "Look, it is a nervous habit. I have to be doing something with my hands and the cards are at least productive, so I suppose I could tap on a desk or something..."

But I say it in a REALLY careful way. Say it in a way as if you are just considering it as another option that doesn't come off as condiscending or smartaleky.

well im kind of trying to stay away from those types of reasons behind y i have cards. It just seems a little too risky for me.

if you need magic to make friends, then idk. you are using it as a crutch. i would stop doing magic all together. because if you build relationships on magic, what kind of strong foundation is that?
why not use your personality as your foundation.
Yea magic is good for an ice breaker or w/e but you cant use it to make friends. go to someone and say hey whats up? im the new kid how are you. start a conversation, and im sure magic will come up. then you can do a quick trick.

Dec 4, 2008
I would just take cards, if they ask you to put them away then do it. I really don't think you will have a problem though. Also only do it at lunch, between classes, or during free time. I never had a problem. I think the only person who had a problem was my principal, but there wasn't much he could do to stop me. One of the best things I ever did in high school though was during my senior year. I did Saw by Sean Fields in fronts of about 200 or so students during lunch. I had the entire cafeteria yelling and screaming. The dean of students and some teachers were there and they didn't care. But I do highly reccommend that you use bikes to start out 'til you know what you can get away with.

Mar 2, 2008
I don't how strick your school is, or if it private or public but i got told the same thing.

Well turned out no teacher cared at all. I only got stoped at the beiging of the year by staff thats all.

Plus i don't peform cards as much as i did last year as i do now.

Jul 7, 2008
if you need magic to make friends, then idk. you are using it as a crutch. i would stop doing magic all together. because if you build relationships on magic, what kind of strong foundation is that?
why not use your personality as your foundation.
Yea magic is good for an ice breaker or w/e but you cant use it to make friends. go to someone and say hey whats up? im the new kid how are you. start a conversation, and im sure magic will come up. then you can do a quick trick.

well i never did say im using it JUST to make friends. It just helps when u have something like that on your side. Magic doesnt just help me make new friends, but meet new people and become involved in new experiences. Another thing tho is that i put my personality into my work. Its just a different way of expressing it to other people. I can make friends just find without my magic. Im just saying that it helps when you want to approach someone and talk to them. Its not as easy going up to people and saying "Hey, do you want to be my friend?" whereas with magic, you can go up to someone and say "Hey, can i show you something real quick?". I have many other reasons why i do magic, but meeting new people and experiences is one of the bigger ones.

Like what the people here said, do magic without using deck of cards.

Loops, coins, or even mentalism, the possibilities are are endless.

scare them with cold reading if you want.

Your education is worth more than a deck of cards. Graduate, then do all the magic you want.

Jul 14, 2008
well i never did say im using it JUST to make friends. It just helps when u have something like that on your side. Magic doesnt just help me make new friends, but meet new people and become involved in new experiences. Another thing tho is that i put my personality into my work. Its just a different way of expressing it to other people. I can make friends just find without my magic. Im just saying that it helps when you want to approach someone and talk to them. Its not as easy going up to people and saying "Hey, do you want to be my friend?" whereas with magic, you can go up to someone and say "Hey, can i show you something real quick?". I have many other reasons why i do magic, but meeting new people and experiences is one of the bigger ones.

I would like to speak from experience when using magic to get friends. I believe two years ago, I was a freshman in high school and basically, the word spread out in the entire high school that I do magic. Everyday, people want to see more and more. I was very happy and accomplished into the work (credits goes to the creators of the tricks, of course). One time, I was sitting with the popular kids and here what they said, "Get off our table unless you are performing magic". All I am just saying that you want people to define you as a human being first, not a magician who is looking to gain popularity. I am not to argue, but I would like to show you my experience.

Jul 13, 2009

Highschool is your social mecca join a few clubs go to some hobby interest groups there are many opportunities to meet new people. Now with that said try some coin tricks like vanishing a coin and pulling it from an ear. It isn't worth bringing your cards and getting on the bad side of teachers or principles or AP's.

Furthermore I highly suggest you put the cards down and walkaway from the performing aspects of magic your freshmen year. The reason for this is simple, your freshmen year forms the foundation that you must stand on for the rest of your life in education. If you have a weak foundation everything above it may topple and crash ie you want to go to college? they don't except you because you have had a shaky start in a new environment. But hey I am not your mother do what you want I am just giving my two cents.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Magicfreak667-

I have come to a very accurate conclusion over the last week looking at your posts that you, are an extremly arrogant, un-educated, full of yourself, little human-being who can only offer cinicism to people who actually know what they are talking about (which I am sure you will do to this post as well).

Anyone who believes they know what they are talking about when they tell someone to, "ignore your school rules and do what you please," is a truly misguided soul. If the school doesn't allow cards, than abide by those rules. Why put up the front that you are someone who goes against the rules. School is for LEARNING. For developing your brain, learning how to think, learning how to FOLLOW RULES, not for you to disrespect authority. Yes it is ok to sometimes question the rules that govern you, but in an educated way. It is NOT ok for you to disrespect the people and institution that is in charge of your education.

It is ok that you want to believe this crap, but when you tell people these misguided opinions, you could be putting their futures in jeapordy. Put down the cards, go to class, stop trying to tell people to be like you, because we don't need anymore McDonalds night managers.

Now for real advice to the OP. Hone your card skills at home. Perform for your family until your routines are flawless (well, close-to at least), and perform your card routines at school fucntions (games etc... off campus). While at school carry around some money. Keep a 50cent piece in classic palm for an entire class. Keep it palmed in your writing hand and see if you can take notes while still palming. Work on your retention vanish etc...

Think of this as a blessing. One of the biggest mistakes school magicians make, is that they show TOO much magic, ignoring the most important thing a performer should keep in mind to "always leave your audience wanting more." You will have a higher success rate of this if you do a lot less magic, and make the magic you do perform, more hard-hitting. Which of course means, more practice, less random performances.

Jul 25, 2009
sneak it man, thats what i do. Just sneak it. I also perform for the teahcers so theyre like its cool if you do that stuff sometimes.

agree 100%. my old middle school didnt allow cards but this one guy who is a wanna-be magician and me snuck cards in all the time. The wanna-be allways sat with us and he got caught but werent doing magic...we were playing black jack (me the dealer) I saw one of the lunch moderators comming I quickly set up the deck to deal 21 to all 4 players and she stopped and said "NO CARD GAMES!" then i said it aint a card game (deals 2 card to each player) snappes fingers then i said "know look everyone has 21!"...she didnt buy it...got a detension...:mad: know Im gonna be a freshman, you think what I just said is gonna stop me?...I think not! (plays heroic music)

Jul 13, 2009
I am just pointing this out does anyone else see the divide in this debate? I mean the older ones with experience are giving excellent reason why not to break the rules while the younger ones are saying go for it.
I guess it is true, "Youth is wasted on the young" oh well do what you want it won't effect me. Just make sure not to make a separate thread if you get into any trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2009
I think it depends on how passionite you are about card magic. If it is your life and you want to keep pursuing it, take the cards. You know the risk. If it is just a hobby and will always be a hobby, leave the cards at home. What I have learned over the years, is that people are successful when they are passionate about something, take chances and are focused. If that is how you feel about cards, you should take them with you (understanding the risk). A good example is Howard Stern. Whether you like him or not, he broke the rules when he started as a dj and was told he would fail if he did not play by the rules. He did what he thought was right, and now makes 100 million a year. In a somewhat silly example is the couple that just got married and danced down the aisle. I am sure some people BEFORE they did it would say --"don't do that, you will make fools of yourself". They did what they wanted to do and now their wedding is one of the most talked about weddings ever! In other words, if you feel strongly about card magic, you will know what to do.

Jul 14, 2008
This is becoming a good post. School is only for learning, nothing more than that. If you care about card magic a lot, you may want to focus on education first.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I think it depends on how passionite you are about card magic. If it is your life and you want to keep pursuing it, take the cards. You know the risk. If it is just a hobby and will always be a hobby, leave the cards at home. What I have learned over the years, is that people are successful when they are passionate about something, take chances and are focused. If that is how you feel about cards, you should take them with you (understanding the risk). A good example is Howard Stern. Whether you like him or not, he broke the rules when he started as a dj and was told he would fail if he did not play by the rules. He did what he thought was right, and now makes 100 million a year. In a somewhat silly example is the couple that just got married and danced down the aisle. I am sure some people BEFORE they did it would say --"don't do that, you will make fools of yourself". They did what they wanted to do and now their wedding is one of the most talked about weddings ever! In other words, if you feel strongly about card magic, you will know what to do.

Again.... wow, Seriously people, step outside the box, step outside your little world and think about things for a minute. By your same logic, if I am passionate about gorwing up to be a sharp shooter for the US army, I should carry a gun around with me wherever I go, even though the law says I shouldn't?

Just because you are passionate about something (maybe more than a hobby), it doesn't mean you should start breaking rules (even if they dont seem reasonable to you). It is good magic is a passion, but your education should and must come first. Not just your education, your ability to follow rules and capability to see past things you might not understand, is vital for growing up. If you get into the habbit of challening and breaking rules now, it will be easier for you to do the same after entering a company, or even in society, which can lead you to be fired, and if not worse, break the law.

GROW UP KIDS.

Jul 7, 2008
ok im glad this thread has gone as far as it has. im really glad u guys are helpin me out with this.
i think wut ive decided im going to do is
im going to bring the cards, but not take them out unless it is ok with a teacher if sumone asks to see a trick.
ill only bring them out at the afterschool activities like the football games and pep rallys
jus thought that would kind of even everything out

Aug 31, 2007
I am just pointing this out does anyone else see the divide in this debate? I mean the older ones with experience are giving excelt reason why not to break the rules while the younger ones are saying go for it.
I guess it is true, "Youth is wasted on the young" oh well do what you want it won't effect me. Just make sure not to make a separate thread if you get into any trouble.

Strongly agree.

look what elders have done to this country though? Just because they are older, does NOT mean they are right. You will probably disagree, but ive seen too many "professional adults" act like childern just to give them respect because of their age and the fact that theyve been "entertaining" people with magic for longer than i have. Give me a reason to respect them, and i will, but until then, im going to stick to my own guns.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I am just pointing this out does anyone else see the divide in this debate? I mean the older ones with experience are giving excellent reason why not to break the rules while the younger ones are saying go for it.

Quoted for truth.

Magicfreak - what you say is probably true. I have to say - I thought the same when I was new to magic, and I now realise I was wrong to think so. Nonetheless, as keoke as correctly pointed out, there's a lot of good, experienced advice in this thread. I've been around the forums for quite a while and their advice has been good.

I'd also add my voice to those saying simply, if your school doesn't allow it, then don't. There is some leeway with this. If it's a serious school policy, then don't. If you find however that it's one of those things that's just been there since 1643 then by all means, but know what you're getting yourself into. It's not worth detentions, etc.

Besides, you really can't find chances to perform? Well how about next time you go to someone's birthday? Or the next time you meet up with friends. Or invite people over to your place. There are lots of opportunities to perform outside of school. I know personally for me that, growing up in high school, there was a semi-friend of mine who already performed magic, and out of respect for him and his status as the magician of the year, I almost never performed in school. And I got plenty of performances in, no problems.

Nonetheless. However strongly you feel about magic, or not, education is more important still. Which is not to say don't perform. There will be far worse injustices dealt to you in life, than a rule banning cards. It's hardly something you should be losing sleep over. If you do feel strongly about your magic, you will find that it manifests itself in other ways - you'll find times and places to perform. Don't be fooled into what other people think is "cool" (probably the worst thing you could do in that department is try to be cool. If you do something because you think it's cool, chances are, it's not going to be, precisely because you're trying too hard and you're missing the point - a general observation).

Ooh. I've just read your post. I really need to read this thread more carefully -.-

I'm glad you've made that decision, honestly speaking. Good luck with everything :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
look what elders have done to this country though? Just because they are older, does NOT mean they are right. You will probably disagree, but ive seen too many "professional adults" act like childern just to give them respect because of their age and the fact that theyve been "entertaining" people with magic for longer than i have. Give me a reason to respect them, and i will, but until then, im going to stick to my own guns.

Hmm what did they do to this country because I missed that. :[

So what your telling me is that you don't respect a single elder magician? You are right those older magicians have performed more than you have. They have dealt with the mistakes. All they are trying to do is help by not making the same mistakes they made. :]

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results