Ideas For Creativity

Hi guys, its me Cedric. When doing magic some of us sometimes like to come up with our own effects and really don't know where to start. Well i'm here to talk about creativity. While its not an easy thing. Its also not as hard as a lot of us think.

The keys to creativity starts with taste. We, as magicians should start thinking about what type of magic we like. We can't have a Lee Asher style and try to pull of Houdini escapes, that just don't work. Its all about artistry. Its all about orginality.

When you character is involved , the effect must say that this is my effect, done by me, performed like me. After that is solved then comes the actual effect in which a lot of us get lost. The way to being creative is kinda being like a kid, when you are in your imaginary land, possibilities are endless. Lets say if your effect is to walk through walls. The best way to come up with that effect to realize and picture the way the scene, look, and moment is captured when your are already on the other side of the wall. Then think backwards.

Never think in sequence. You are bound to be lost. Think of the end result and burn a picture in your head. Next, think of a way to get to the end result whether its magical or not. The last thing is concealment. Worry about making it magical last. What's an answer without a question?

If you guys are still puzzled on the idea of creativity, since on this site revealing is prohibited, lets take the Balducci for example. Whats the end result??? levitation. How do you give the illusion of levitation??? We all know. What makes the Balducci magical is concealment. So that whole effect was broken down just like that. The end result, the method, and the concealment. If you guys put this thought process to a lot of your effects. Creativity becomes a bit more easy. and with a little creative juices even more magical. So get out there, use your imagination, and lets not stay as just magicians. Lets all become artists.

Thanks for taking the time to read what i had to say...

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2008
Hi Cedric,

Very nice post. While I agree on you ideas on character, in that we should all have one that suits us, I don't believe your steps to creativity would for everyone. I'm sure it would work for some, but not all. Inspiration strikes us all in very different ways.

Hi Cedric,

Very nice post. While I agree on you ideas on character, in that we should all have one that suits us, I don't believe your steps to creativity would for everyone. I'm sure it would work for some, but not all. Inspiration strikes us all in very different ways.
i've been asked a lot about creativity....so thats why i posted for those...we all have different ways of creating..but thats just mine.....i hope this kinds of points them in the right direction...

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
A friend of mine gave me a tip. He said, take magazines and look through them...then cut out pictures of things that look like magic to you, and put them in an envalope. and then later on when u have a ton of them...look through them and it can be helpful finding you in magic.

May 25, 2009
Creativity

My favorate subject simply due to the fact that i'm a creater. A creative process is indeed different with every one. But the one that helps me most of the time is first imagining an effect...

You can get lost from the very beginneg fantisizing about the magical aspect of it.

1. First you must realize that you cannot acomplish this magical effect with magic.

2. Now you ask your self, how can I make it look like I infact used real magic!

Jul 2, 2008
I do not agree with you L33Z3RO. I mean, if its not your character to do real magic, then why always make it seem as if it IS done by magic. Some people decide to show card moves, gamblig cheats, portray the quickness of the hand.

Cedric, liked your post. I myself am a creator, and sometimes find it hard to come up with new ideas. Your steps are great, but don't always suit me. I usually think of a movement of the cards or a certain position then come up with a routine. It sounds weird, but it works!

Sep 1, 2007
Never think in sequence. You are bound to be lost. Think of the end result and burn a picture in your head. Next, think of a way to get to the end result whether its magical or not. The last thing is concealment. Worry about making it magical last. What's an answer without a question?

That is a sequence.

So get out there, use your imagination, and lets not stay as just magicians. Lets all become artists.

Artists, eh...

In our rush to invent new crap we often forget to create something interesting.

I do not agree with you L33Z3RO. I mean, if its not your character to do real magic, then why always make it seem as if it IS done by magic. Some people decide to show card moves, gamblig cheats, portray the quickness of the hand.

Cedric, liked your post. I myself am a creator, and sometimes find it hard to come up with new ideas. Your steps are great, but don't always suit me. I usually think of a movement of the cards or a certain position then come up with a routine. It sounds weird, but it works!
Mr. Gazer, thanks...yes u r all right my methods isn't the way for everyone...i totally agree...i was just tryign to help out those who are lost at point A without a mapguide of seeing point B....and yeah if it works for you...then problem solved.....

That is a sequence.

Artists, eh...

In our rush to invent new crap we often forget to create something interesting.
Alex c'mon, thats a bit nitpicking on the sequence comment...but point taken....also pretty funny.....

yeah some of us do come up with subpar effects...but at least its what makes us...but i think its because the superior artists raises the bar so high, we forget to aprreciate the smaller things....W:H's Thread is not gonna always be equaled nor surpassed......we, as magicians tend to overthink the smaller effects by expecting so....when all we have to do is go out there and perform what fits us....i have never met a spectator that criticize different pro magician's work like we do....why??? whats for them can't hurt them....

its a lot like Criss Angel's performances.....a lot of people on here kinda dislike him. What they dislike about him, is the same reason he's loved by laymen, and sometimes we as magicians should have a spectators edge about us as well..... enjoy it...if we don't like it, or have a problem with that...go out and perform it in a different way. At the end of the day, its about what i said it was. Artistry....doing what hasn't been done and recreating or improving the previous....

So on that aspect of it, we tend to overthink a lot of performances....there's nothing perfect. If we aren't doing it, then its a probability that we are gonna dislike something about a performance. I've been doing magic for a bit of a time now, and i've also done music. Based on my knowledge, As a whole(not everyone) magicians are just like rappers. What we like, we uphold and respect. What we hate, we downplay, shatter, and discredit. I'll end this with a piece of rhetoric, Are we any different from them(rappers and singers)???

Sep 1, 2007
yeah some of us do come up with subpar effects...but at least its what makes us...but i think its because the superior artists raises the bar so high, we forget to aprreciate the smaller things....W:H's Thread is not gonna always be equaled nor surpassed......we, as magicians tend to overthink the smaller effects by expecting so....when all we have to do is go out there and perform what fits us....i have never met a spectator that criticize different pro magician's work like we do....why??? whats for them can't hurt them....

Not my point.

We have people who come here now and again to post their new card trick or flourish. But I gave up on watching them a long time ago. Methodically, most of them are pretty sound. There's another problem.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results