Illusions: Magic Bar and Lounge

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
Has anyone heard of or been to the magic bar called Illusions in Baltimore, Maryland?

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I will be totally honest...
I went there a long time ago and have had some friends who have gone as well...and none of us had a very positive experience. I need not go into details, but I will say that there are not always shows going on there. And even during the hours when they were "dark"...heaven forbid you break out a pack of cards to do any magic...
I wish them continued success, but I will never go back into that place again...

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
Ummmmm nobody. If you are not Spencer, you don't perform there.

That is the way it used to be. We have had other performers besides Spencer. We didn't build the place to host amateur hour. Just very selective as to who performs there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the way it used to be. We have had other performers besides Spencer. We didn't build the place to host amateur hour. Just very selective as to who performs there.

So then it's invite only? I see... Frankly, and I may stand alone on this subject, but I have my own set of opinions on such statements as above. But that very well may be a rant for another thread.

Honestly, what would be so wrong about booking amateur talent for a night out of the month, or week? Use a sliding pay scale, to corresponding with credits, and experience. Provide set notes to how they can improve themselves, and you know.... actually help the community grow a bit.

Show business is a hard industry to break into with any success. I say give a kid a break, providing he can pass an audition or prove he's got something to contribute. Hell you run a club, you should know what it's like to be a starving artist. We all had to get our start somewhere. How far must we have come to forget about the people who gave us our chance?

Just my two cents. Then again, what do I know right?

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
What you said makes sense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with booking amateur talent. However, that is not the point of this place. We built the venue for only one reason; the performance home for one entertainer. ANYONE is welcome to build their own place if they would like a place for all of their magician friends to perform at. At the same time, I have not seen any local magicians show any support for our place. Is that because they found out they cannot perform there? I don't know. Also, people come week after week expecting to see our house entertainer and we have tried doing a sort of open mic night with stand up comedy which did not really draw the crowds that we wanted

Sep 1, 2007
Since we are 100% fullfilling our only goal, which is creating a home for only one performer, I couldn't care less that no local magicians come by. But, I'm curious of your thoughts anyway. :)

Personally speaking, I've met Spencer. I don't think he's a bad guy, but he can be... difficult to get along with sometimes. The magic community can be very political and I think he's burned a few bridges. Making the venue a showcase for him might feel alienating to some as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you how to do your job. But... from one who knows, it's best to get an outsider's perspective now and again on who you're pissing off and why.

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
If we are pissing people off, it is of someone who we don't really care about. We didn't build the place with anyone in the magic community or the magic community itself, in mind. I do agree with you, that it's good to get an outsiders perspective, which you're giving, so thank you. If possible, please PM me. I'm curious as to why you think Spencer was difficult to get along with.

Aug 17, 2010
We built the venue for only one reason; the performance home for one entertainer. ANYONE is welcome to build their own place if they would like a place for all of their magician friends to perform at. At the same time, I have not seen any local magicians show any support for our place.

Since we are 100% fullfilling our only goal, which is creating a home for only one performer, I couldn't care less that no local magicians come by.

If we are pissing people off, it is of someone who we don't really care about. We didn't build the place with anyone in the magic community or the magic community itself, in mind.

Worst public relations ever.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results