Impromptu Sit Down Magic?

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Aha. I wonder what the suggestions are when the requirements are "I'm not prepared to do anything and I have no cards, no money, and no props. I don't live in the forest, and walking into a shop and buying a pack of cards is not an option." Narrows the options down a bit, doesn't it?

Control
Arm twisting
Balducci levitation
Pulling your thumb off
Think of a number between 1-50 (37) or 1-10 (7)
Think of your favourite flower

And the best of the bunch

Stealing someones nose and not giving it back!

Matt

Jul 13, 2009
Ive been the one stressing that since before you were here.

God here is your cookie now get off your pedestal.

To your question,if im going to perform and I 'lose' my props.(my ice box,loops,bent coin,LIFE set-up,and a few other items) then I cant perform can I? At a gig,its just not possible.

*buzzer sound* it is completely possible to entertain at a gig without your own props. I can think of several routines to do with borrowed objects at the gig.
  • Steal a roll of toilet
  • Paper balls over head
  • 2 in my hand and 1 in my pocket
  • Grab a newspaper/magazine
  • Torn and restored newspaper
  • A picture prediction using Third eye

I think you get my point, now I really feel you are trying to give out your opinion but while you are doing it you are showing the dense nature of your skin. You keep proposing that you need props gigs or otherwise, Randy, Dee, and I have all given sound advice and examples which you are brushing aside and pushing your own opinion.

Everyone on the forum should not put themselves higher then others on this forum, no one knows who everyone is and could be. Personally I think arguing over the internet is stupid my point is here and everyone can use it or not its your choice. You could use selective choice and listen to members who have been here longer or the old wise talking members that are starting to become few and far between.

"Arguing on the internet is like racing in the special Olympics, even if you win your still a tard."
Bizzaro

All of my reply is in blue.

Nov 8, 2007
My favorite piece of impromptu magic specifically designed for being seated at a table is Karrell Fox's Napkin Vanish.

It's super visual and just plain brilliant. This is the one Tom Mullica has performed and taught in a few places.

Sep 24, 2007
Aha, everyone is taking this way too seriously. I was merely thinking along the lines of things you would do, like "PK touches" or "Progressive Anagrams." Wasn't trying to start a debate about palm readers... when they set up a little shop on the street, with a little sign and an attractive phone number. You walk in to the shop, and the mysterious old lady says "hold out your hand... and ..."

Getting ahead of myself there...

Jul 10, 2009
living room magic

I like sit down type magic (close up)
I would recommend you check out
Gypsy Thread in 1-1
and
The Dancy Revelation also in 1-1
Check them out both are easy to learn and you could have them both perfected soon.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Emotional Reaction
Twisting the Aces
The Maxi twist
Invisible Palm Aces
Card to Pocket
Card to wallet
ACR
Shadow Coins
Paper Balls over the head
The Hoy Book test
The Brook Test
Billet switches
Perfected Center Tear

But lets say you don't have anything on you. Well. Gregory Wilson has the perfect DVD just for you. I think it's called On The Spot or Off the Cuff.

Look into it and you'll be fine when it comes to impromptu sit down performances.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
All of my reply is in blue.

But why on earth should I have to perform effects that I have no interest in or dont fit with my style and act?
Seems to much like half-assing a show.

I never brushed Dee's advice aside. I backed it up so I have no idea what your talking about. I didnt so much advise against learning mentalism,I advised against the way randy was saying that in Palm reading you need no acting skills or presentation. Meaning to use it as a 'quicky' throwaway trick used because cards/props arent available. Which things of that nature shouldnt be seen as.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
hey guys,
i was wondering if you guys could suggest some strong sit down, (like living room Type) magic that is impromptu. I guess street magic but sitting down. I want some strong ones that require no setup or i could setup easily in front of them. Tricks that could be used when put on the spot, mainly card magic.

Thanks.
O, and i was wondering if the brick of cards sold at sams club or kostco are good, i heard that they are like bad runoffs, misprinted in some ways.

If you want improv card tricks,its not that hard to find.
Card Fictions
Brilliant book on card magic by Pit Hartling. I love this one.

For various types of magic I recommend
Organic by dan and dave(gets your brain jogging on making your own organic magic)
Life Savers by Michael Weber
Now You See It, Now You Don't Bill Tarr (all time fave)
Power Plays - High Voltage Magic

Just a few at the top of my head.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
On The Spot and Off the Cuff by Gregory Wilson. Don't want to carry around coins? Borrow acouple pennies or nickles and do his open palmed coins across. Paper balls over the head with borrowed napkins as well as Sponge ball stuff with borrowed napkins. Also he teaches a few watch steals as well.

There you go. Impromptu "sit down" magic.

Scarne's Aces
Winged Silver (Bobo's FTW!!!)
Shadow Coins
Out of this World
Phoenix Match (Joshua Jay's Complete Course)
Do as I Do
Coins and Cards into Coin Matrix (Bobo's FTW again!!!!)

Those are off the top of my head that I perform.

All the best,
-Chase

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results