Improve Your Mind: Contest Details!

Hello Everyone! The much awaited contest details for the Theory11 Improve Your Mind Forum Contest!

Before we get into the actual details of what you are writing about I wanted to take the time to officially recap some important things about this contest.

Please take your time to review this post completely, and understand each part of it. Following directions correctly will be a major part in your participation of this event.

This contest is about who can write the best essay on the given subject below. The essay must have 5 paragraphs minimum, and contain no less than 700 words. Anything failing to meet those two requirements or failing to be on theme with the subject will be subject to disqualification.

After the event's completion your essays will be posted in a follow up thread to be shared with the community.

All participants will have until Friday October 16th by Midnight Eastern Standard time to submit their entry. Please email your entries directly to me at waynedwizard@yahoo.com Any essays received after 12 midnight on Friday the 16th of October will be disqualified. There will be no exceptions!

Please have your essays in .doc or .txt format and attached to your email in the form of an attachment. Please do not post your essays directly into the body of your mail message!

Please include in your essay at either the start or closure of it you're Theory11 Forum user name. That will make things easier to grade. -Thank you Sinful for pointing this oversight out!

Your Essays will be reviewed by a panel of 4 judges, who will be grading them upon a set list of criteria that includes but is not limited to Grammar, Spelling, Originality, and the ability to write convincingly on the given subject, make and defend your points. Since we will have over 40 essays to collectively grade between Monday (today) and Friday at the cut off, we ask for your patience while we work as quickly as we can to declare a winner.

Our winner will be announced (provided we won't need any additional time for tie breakers or the like) in this thread on Monday October 19th.

Your judges for this event will be:

William Draven (Event Organizer)
Reverhart (School Teacher & Soon to be Admin)
Sinful (Theory11 Moderator)
Morgician (Respected Intellectual Contributor to the Forums, and author of many T11 Essays)

The Prize Pool For The Winner Will Include:

A Full, Free, And Complete download of EVERYTHING Dee Christopher that is available on his website. (This does not relate to any third party products.) Complements of Dee Christopher himself.

A Full, Free, And Complete download of Shane Black's new E-Book "Conceptions of Mystery", courtesy of Mr. Shane Black.

AND.... Not to be out done or over looked Mr. Jon Raiker and the rest of the Theory11 staff have also added in this little gem. A prize pack containing a single deck of Brown Wynns and a single deck of White Centurions, courtesy of Theory11.

As a disclaimer the rules of this contest are subject to change with or without notification at the sole discretion of the contest organizer. This contest is officially supported by Theory11 However NO submission reflects the beliefs of Theory11, its staff, or its sponsors in anyway shape or form. Any similarity, is so by coincidence.

The current list of participants expected to contribute to this event are as follows:

1) Tally-Ho
2) Nino
3) Demon5Magic
4) Simon Magic
5) Toby
6) wZEnigma
7) TeeDee
8) Luka
9) MagicMan6(sic)6
10) Vega
11) KeokeSilverfang
12) Althor
13) Inferno Kaiser
14) Huruey
15) Chaseman27
16) Calledcrazy
17) Romeo Sierra
18) Praetoritevong
19) Supermanalone
20) Sherlock
21) Jackson4
22) Shane Black
23) Jtmorris
24) Magyk11
25) Shooting_Rubber
26) Cedric Taylor
27) Randomwrath
28) Wordsmith
29) J+S
30) Brehaut
31) NJIllusionist3
32) Doctor Magic
33) Kingkid
34) Chicken
35) Drop
36) Dleerium
37) Mr. Zsasz
38) Foolzsight
39) Ineski
40) Ashrei
41) Cardtecuk
42) NiwT
43) Blaireau
44) Danylo
45) Sorax
46) Mr.Madman

And without further adue, the Secret Subject.

The art of magic is, and has always been about inspiration, creation, mystery, and amazement. Of course, when done properly all these wonderful things can be summed up into a simple word: Entertainment. We have many tools available to us from amazing books and DVD's authored by our peers, to cardistry moves that rival that of juggling. Not to mention more tricks than you can shake a stick at. We are expected to use these tools, tricks, and "secret moves" to entertain our audiences, but the real question is "What is entertainment to you?" The secret subject for this essay contest is "Entertainment, and What It Means To You."

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Right then... I'll get started on it. I'm kinda glad it's something that I've been questioning about for a long time. Maybe this will clear up some thoughts for me.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Right. I'm going to be thinking about this all day, and hopefully have a bunch of ideas to come home and start typing with tonight.

Good luck to all involved :D

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I'm wondering about the same thing as TeeDee - what exactly is a 5 paragraph theme?

Yeah, I don't understand that part either.

And also, since you are taking grammar and spelling to be important for the contest, will you take into consideration us who are not from the English talking countries? aka. not go so hard on us because of the English grammar...

Sep 2, 2007
London
Yeah, I don't understand that part either.

And also, since you are taking grammar and spelling to be important for the contest, will you take into consideration us who are not from the English talking countries? aka. not go so hard on us because of the English grammar...

He can't be that hard on us given there's five or six grammatical and spelling errors in his original post. :D

No offence intended Mr Draven....don't want to prejudice my chances :).

The five-paragraph essay is a form of written argument. It is a common requisite in assignments in middle school, high school, university, and sometimes elementary school. The format requires an essay to have five paragraphs: one introductory paragraph, three body paragraphs with support and development, and one concluding paragraph. Because of this structure, it is also known as a hamburger essay or a three tier essay.

The Rest of this post has been edited out as it does not reflect the current requirements of the contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
Well, you learn something every day. I somehow managed to go through my schooling, a degree in Philosophy and Politics, and a writing course without ever coming across this term. To be fair to myself though, I think it might be something that's emphasised more in US teaching methods, so it's not surprising that we foreigners didn't get it.

Thanks for the explanation Mr Draven.

Well, you learn something every day. I somehow managed to go through my schooling, a degree in Philosophy and Politics, and a writing course without ever coming across this term. To be fair to myself though, I think it might be something that's emphasised more in US teaching methods, so it's not surprising that we foreigners didn't get it.

Thanks for the explanation Mr Draven.

More than likely, but I have a feeling you'll have a good time with this anyways.

Good Luck!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I believe the cut off of participants has taken place. Draven will have the final say in this matter, but I'm willing to bet all entries are closed.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to for this event.

HOWEVER! Since the run away success of this style competition, I can only imagine there will be others like it that will follow in the future.

You'll just have to keep a weathered eye out on the forum and jump in the next time something like this shows up.

Sep 24, 2007
Entertainment. Fantastic topic...

... though I was hoping for something like "explain the immune system of a chicken"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results