Interesting experiences

May 8, 2008
England
Hey guys, first off, I'm new to this forum and it looks great. I've been practising card magic very hard since I started recently and I think that this site will really help me, and others, to progress. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community :)

Anyway, to the thread.

So what interesting, amusing or embarrassing experiences have you had while performing?

The only one I have worth mentioning is when I did the trick (sorry unsure of the name) where the spectator has seen two black aces and believes that they are holding them when in reality they are the red aces. I had someone turn the cards over and tell me they didn't understand, they were still holding the two aces, I tried to explain that they were a different colour, but it really didn't work. Needless to say, that trick flopped :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 23, 2007
NC
Welcome.
I believe your talking about 2 card monte. Maybe try two different red cards than the aces, like two red jacks so they dont have any confusion that the cards changed.

Also, there are some great sources to learn that from, Youtube not being one of them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, that trick is called 2 card monte. And maybe you should use two black aces and 2 jokers as to avoid confusion. I use my ghost deck and that end I ask where the ace of clubs is. They say top or bottom thn I reveal they are holding the jokers. I the show that the ace of clubs isn' entirley gone because the joker is standing on it.

And my most emmbarassing moment was when I screwed up a card through window effect. It was similar to celebracadabras mishap. I threw it and it was the wrong card on the window. Luckily I had an invisible deck and saved myself.

Oct 8, 2007
If you do not have Royal Road to Card Magic, you should get it. It's around, like $5? It has loads of sleights and stuff. It may be a little hard to understand from text, but they also have lots of pictures.

Welcome to the forums,

Just to throw it out there, has anyone done a back changing 2CM, it would work and I just got the idea for it.

Well, an embarassing moment was a bit ago when I was new to cardistry (still am) and whenever I dropped a card laughter ensued.

An amusing moment would be that I did a simple transposition and they all flipped out and a friend of mind has that embedded in her mind and she brings it up all the time. I rarely perform that since it may deter her amazement of it, but at one point if I get distortion I'll let her as she asked "see it happen". She may faint but it'll be the greatest reaction ever :D

Well for advice on the 2CM, use unsimilar cards to switch and heck try the back change idea (just remember its a reverse sort of deal...cards are face up). If you need help PM me.

~PaCo

Mar 30, 2008
DC
I was performing my Deck Shell Routine once and I asked my spectator to point at a deck, but instead this guy takes the deck. I saw it as an accident and I realized I shouldn't have held the decks in an open palm.

Needless to say the entire routine was a flop. ^.^

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I think that SPADES was talking about Dr. Daleys last trick, because he is talking about the 4 aces and their color..

It happene to me once the same thing with trey sheik, and I emphasised before doing the ''transpo'' which cards were under his hand, and he misunderstood it :(

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
tsarothpaco

i have often used an odd backed face up variation on two card monte. I use it after i use black and read ace too jokers then i use the same red and black ace's too odd backed face up and that really messes with people.

May 8, 2008
England
I think that SPADES was talking about Dr. Daleys last trick, because he is talking about the 4 aces and their color..

It happene to me once the same thing with trey sheik, and I emphasised before doing the ''transpo'' which cards were under his hand, and he misunderstood it :(

Yeah, the way I do two card monte is giving them a red king, showing them the second red king, using a triple lift, putting an ace in their hand etc.......

The trick I meant was a triple lift showng a black ace, give them the top card a red ace, another triple with a black ace and giving them the second red ace...
Sorry if my previous post was unclear... :S

At least you all seem able to recover from mishaps.... :p

Oct 8, 2007
And my most emmbarassing moment was when I screwed up a card through window effect. It was similar to celebracadabras mishap. I threw it and it was the wrong card on the window. Luckily I had an invisible deck and saved myself.

What a coincidence, I was thinking of a similar experience of my own and this is the first one I came across. Mine went worse though. I threw the cards at the window but no card was left stuck on it. :p
The people, 15 or so, were confused as to what was supposed to happen and I felt so bad as I picked up the cards on the floor.
Now, imagine how that looked. The trick flops, the room is silenced and the magician is on the floor, picking up cards scattered all over, with everyone else looking down on him. Even worse, I had no invisible deck to save the act.
The only good part was that I did another trick afterwards and hopefully that took their mind off the whole mishap.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
"snap your fingers with a thumb tip on its a great convincer", I launched a thumb tip over the heads of a small crowed into a busy street with a torn hundred dollar bill in it. It was a great convincer, it convinced me not to do that again.

Forget about the snap.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I find that some of the most embarassing moments are ones in which I forget to properly setup for a trick. There have been several times where I haven't been properly ready for a trick and ended up looking stupid in front of people. Not my favorite feeling...

TDA

May 8, 2008
England
I find that some of the most embarassing moments are ones in which I forget to properly setup for a trick. There have been several times where I haven't been properly ready for a trick and ended up looking stupid in front of people. Not my favorite feeling...

And as you see the ace of... oh...

It's all worth it :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results