Invisible Deck Question

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Then, you show them that the card is reversed in the deck, be it at the 2nd or last position. I don't see any problem here. It doesn't have to be in the middle all of the time.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm not sure why you don't want to cut the deck. As you spread through any deck it's a natural movement (after you go through about half the deck) to cut the cards you've already gone past to the bottom of the deck. If you say something to the spectator as you cut the cards to the bottom (even just mentioning the name of their card) nothing will seem out of the ordinary.

Jun 10, 2010
If you present it properly, the fact that it's face down at all doesn't get noticed AT ALL. Even if they pretend it's in the center and the 2nd card is theirs, the astonishment of it being face down amidst a deck of face up cards is what holds true and in most cases, guarantees they won't be suspicious about it. Don't cut the deck, just play it off.
I tell them to do an overhand shuffle invisibly after turning it face down so technically the card can be anywhere, including last, 2nd to last, and 2nd.

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
I'm not sure why you don't want to cut the deck. As you spread through any deck it's a natural movement (after you go through about half the deck) to cut the cards you've already gone past to the bottom of the deck. If you say something to the spectator as you cut the cards to the bottom (even just mentioning the name of their card) nothing will seem out of the ordinary.

Yes, I understand your point because that's what I used to do when the spectator called the second or the last card but I want to know if there are other ways to do it, for me the magic of this trick is that you don't do nothing just spread the deck and the card appear face-down I know that if I cut the card no one will notice but I like to make the spectators follow all my moves since I open the box to convince them I don't do any funny move I don't know if you understand me.. (also I did this thread 'cause I don't like the idea of having their card on the button or in second place for me it seems weird maybe not to you but that's just my opinion, sorry about my english)

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
If you present it properly, the fact that it's face down at all doesn't get noticed AT ALL. Even if they pretend it's in the center and the 2nd card is theirs, the astonishment of it being face down amidst a deck of face up cards is what holds true and in most cases, guarantees they won't be suspicious about it. Don't cut the deck, just play it off.
I tell them to do an overhand shuffle invisibly after turning it face down so technically the card can be anywhere, including last, 2nd to last, and 2nd.

I like the idea of having them shuffle the invisible deck after they put the card, that's kinda smart, thanks man.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You can have them do the invisible shuffle as mentioned, you can cut the deck, or you can arrange your cards so that the most called upon are always in the center. For example: I always get 7 of spades, 2 of hearts, as the card called. I make sure that when I tell them NOT to pick a face card because that is too obvious of a choice...that my face cards are mostly towards the top and bottom of the invisible deck.

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
You can have them do the invisible shuffle as mentioned, you can cut the deck, or you can arrange your cards so that the most called upon are always in the center. For example: I always get 7 of spades, 2 of hearts, as the card called. I make sure that when I tell them NOT to pick a face card because that is too obvious of a choice...that my face cards are mostly towards the top and bottom of the invisible deck.

Good idea, also when I perform the trick to some women 50% pick the queen of hearts, thanks for the help.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You could also just go through the whole deck, pointing out that all the cards are face up. Then do a magical gesture, spread the first few cards, or spread through the whole deck, and show the newly overturned card. Of course, this requires that you know which cards are near the top and bottom.

I just show the card wherever it is.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Good idea, also when I perform the trick to some women 50% pick the queen of hearts, thanks for the help.
You can use that to your advantage. Ask the spectator "You're not thinking of the Queen of Hearts or Ace of Spades are you?" If they say yes, you've just read their mind. Then go to a second spectator and have them pick a different card.

If you know the top card in your invisible deck, after they name their card, you can say "Before I left my house today, I've reversed the second card in this deck." That way you've elevated the effect by telling them the location of the card.

Aug 20, 2017
Piping in seven years late, but just joined. Great forum BTW.
I find cutting the deck from time to time if not frequently, is not only good for keeping the trick fresh, but also for keeping the cards fresh. I realized soon after practicing this trick a good number of times that by NOT cutting the deck from time to time that the top cards always get the majority of the wear from your fingers and might begin to look like a gimmicked deck. And by cutting the deck, you're not messing with the integrity of the setup.

Jul 26, 2016
I just do like Christopher and show the card wherever it is. I think Saborfang17's technique of having them pantomime doing an overhand shuffle invisibly after replacing their "card" is very good. It not only sets up the idea that the card could be anywhere in the deck, but also increases audience participation and enhances the entertainment value of the routine. In fact, it might be a good idea to say to them after they do that shuffle, "Now your card could be anywhere in the deck."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results