Is this wrong?

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
That's actually how it works. Andrei Jikh mentions this and several other people have said it.

If you're right handed you hold the deck and handle most everything in your left hand.

If you're left handed, you hold the deck and handle most everything in your right hand. Strange, but that's how it's suppose to be.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
That's actually how it works. Andrei Jikh mentions this and several other people have said it.

If you're right handed you hold the deck and handle most everything in your left hand.

If you're left handed, you hold the deck and handle most everything in your right hand. Strange, but that's how it's suppose to be.

John Carney addresses this.
He is right handed, but he handles cards like a left hander. His reasoning is that the base hand does a lot more work. In a pass, if you're base hand is the left hand, the left hand does 90% of the work, the right hand just lifted. If you're doing a non strike bottom deal, again, the right hand just takes the card, the left hand does all the work. In flourishing, if the left hand is the base hand, it usually does all the one handed cuts.

If you're right handed, it actually doesn't make sense. Your stronger hand should be doing the work.

That's Carney's view, which I actually agree with.

But, there are no rights and wrongs in hand dominance.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
John Carney addresses this.
He is right handed, but he handles cards like a left hander. His reasoning is that the base hand does a lot more work. In a pass, if you're base hand is the left hand, the left hand does 90% of the work, the right hand just lifted. If you're doing a non strike bottom deal, again, the right hand just takes the card, the left hand does all the work. In flourishing, if the left hand is the base hand, it usually does all the one handed cuts.

If you're right handed, it actually doesn't make sense. Your stronger hand should be doing the work.

That's Carney's view, which I actually agree with.

But, there are no rights and wrongs in hand dominance.
Actually, if you're doing a pass correctly, the top hand should be doing most of the work.
And also, whilst it's true that the base hand does most of the work most of the time, this is a good reason to hold the deck with your weaker hand. Surely, as a magician, the base hand shouldn't be doing anything other than holding the deck (from an audience's view) so why would you hold it with your dominant hand?

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Actually, if you're doing a pass correctly, the top hand should be doing most of the work.
And also, whilst it's true that the base hand does most of the work most of the time, this is a good reason to hold the deck with your weaker hand. Surely, as a magician, the base hand shouldn't be doing anything other than holding the deck (from an audience's view) so why would you hold it with your dominant hand?

What pass method do you use.

Anyway, if you really the audience would suspect, let alone detect you doing anything due to what hand you're using, I would really like to see how you construct your routines.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
What pass method do you use.

Anyway, if you really the audience would suspect, let alone detect you doing anything due to what hand you're using, I would really like to see how you construct your routines.

Aaron Fisher posted an article, or a podcast (I forget which) on the classic pass a while ago, in which he said that the base hand merely supports the deck, whereas the top hand does all the work. After trying it as such, my pass got notably better.

And yes, whilst the audience shouldn't suspect anything, if somebody does, for whatever reason, think you're using sleight of hand, the biddling hand is the hand they'd suspect. I'm not saying it's a problem I face with any degree of regularity, I was just offering a suggestion as to why the hands might be as so.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Aaron Fisher posted an article, or a podcast (I forget which) on the classic pass a while ago, in which he said that the base hand merely supports the deck, whereas the top hand does all the work. After trying it as such, my pass got notably better.

And yes, whilst the audience shouldn't suspect anything, if somebody does, for whatever reason, think you're using sleight of hand, the biddling hand is the hand they'd suspect. I'm not saying it's a problem I face with any degree of regularity, I was just offering a suggestion as to why the hands might be as so.

If you break down the pass, while the top hand does a lot more than people initially think, the base hand still does a majority of the work. The main thing I got from that podcast is that the pass should be "seen and not heard". From that, my confidence with the pass skyrocketed.

They suspect both hands equally, unless you have horrible "tells" with one of your hands. Anyway, if the audience suspects anything, you've already messed up.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
If you break down the pass, while the top hand does a lot more than people initially think, the base hand still does a majority of the work. The main thing I got from that podcast is that the pass should be "seen and not heard". From that, my confidence with the pass skyrocketed.
Hmm, maybe I should revisit that podcast :rolleyes:
Still, when I do the pass, my right hand does most of the work. That's what works for me, and therefore that's what I do.
They suspect both hands equally, unless you have horrible "tells" with one of your hands. Anyway, if the audience suspects anything, you've already messed up.
Hmm, well as I said, I was merely offering a suggestion as to why the handling of a deck is the way it is. I wasn't saying that that is exactly what the audience thinks, I was merely throwing ideas out there.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Hmm, maybe I should revisit that podcast :rolleyes:
Still, when I do the pass, my right hand does most of the work. That's what works for me, and therefore that's what I do.

Hmm, well as I said, I was merely offering a suggestion as to why the handling of a deck is the way it is. I wasn't saying that that is exactly what the audience thinks, I was merely throwing ideas out there.

It's so hard to think like a layman once you've been exposed to magic.

Ideas are good. This is a very strange topic, I don't think once a person starts magic, they actively think, "now which hand will I use as to not arouse suspicion?"
Even most right handed laymen favor the left hand as the base hand, and most left handed laymen favor the right hand as the base hand for some reason.
I have a few lay right hander friends who use their right hand as the base hand, which I have subtly questioned them about, and they say it feels comfortable. So which ever feels right.
Though I really do like John Carney's view. I've been trying to learn the pass and the clipshift with my other hand. That's a challenge.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results