Status
Not open for further replies.

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Greetings & welcome back! First off I'd like to apologize for missing last months Cerca Trova. After finally getting Dangerous done and out the door, I headed out for a much needed break. But... back to the magic.

This month's Cerca Trova comes from foolzsight. Check out his suggestion below:

After seeing a post in the general discussion I think a Cerca Trova should deal with the term 'purist'.

What is a purist?
Is it someone who doesn't use gimmicks at all?
Is it a state of mind, an approach to magic?
Is it an ego-driven approach?
Though harder, is it better to be able to do everything, anything impromptu? (I remember reading a thread in the card magic forum about a guy who did a haunted deck, and when approached to do it again didn't have any loops...didn't know a way to do it otherwise...it ended up hurting him and letting down a spectator that had been raving about him)

My Roundtable discussion a few weeks ago sparked an interesting discussion on the definition of a "purist" and the pros / cons to being one. As Foolzsight suggests, there certainly is a lot more that can be discussed regarding this.

So... why don't we start at the beginning and work our way through - What is a purist? What do you guys think?

And - to my fellow Americans - Happy 4th of July!

Nov 24, 2007
Hermosillo Sonora
I think using gimmicks doesn't take the magic out, for a spectator is the same if they caught you using a gimmick or doing a sleight.
The only bad think about gimmick effect is that they need set up and you might not be able to do it again if they bring up a friend, so just get sure they are alone or everybody is watching ;D
I love Panic do xD

So i think purist its a guy that doesn't use gimmicks or duplicates. It ends being a term used by the magic community only. Layman would not care about it.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
My understanding of a purist is someone especially in close up magic is someone who uses pure skill over any from of gimmick. Doing a two card transposition is made so much easier with the use of a duplicate card but, however when I have used a duplicate I do not feel anywhere near as satisfied with my self after the effect. But at the end of the day I am not going to split hairs over it because as Luke Jermay said in one of his books (3510 maybe?) it is not our reality that matters but the spectators. This Couldn't be more true in my opinion as we are all entertainers and to be successful you must entertain the audience first.

My views on purity of effects is simple I try to achieve what Luke Jermay calls a "prop less" performance. I have no problem using any form of prop or gimmick if it is within the context of the piece. So in the two card transposition the duplicate card is well within context. Nobody is going to sit there and count the number of cards, nor are they going to be looking for a duplicate of one of the cards. But with that being said I will constantly try and remove "props" if I can, or at least try to make them feel more natural.

David

A purist is someone who sticks to tradition, and revolved into magic would be someone who performs magic in a traditional manner. Everyone is saying they don't use gimmicks, which is probably true since I don't think 'back in the day' they had M5s and such. Gimmicks (maybe not gimmicks in general but more modern ones) weren't invented back then and they did just fine without them. Also, as far as I know they didn't do street performances and freaky magic like twisting your arm around 5 times and making your arm redden into words, so a purist would not do these newer things and keep to what went on before. It's not as broad as only doing original and old sleights and such, but more specific as the newer types of things going on in magic, such like I have presented.

~PaCo

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
To me, a purist an individual who follows strictly to tradition; someone who does everything in their power to ensure an object or some "thing" remain true to it's essence and free from change.

In my opinion, a purist in magic is either one of 2 things:

1. Someone who learns, practices, and performs a magic trick the EXACT same way they were taught. Everything is the same, from the basic effect, the patter, the type of objects used, etc.

2. Someone who learns, practices, and performs the original effects that inspired other artists to create (or re-create) the tricks we know today.

Anyways, that what I think. I look forward to see what you guys come up with.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
To me, a purist an individual who follows strictly to tradition; someone who does everything in their power to ensure an object or some "thing" remain true to it's essence and free from change.

In my opinion, a purist in magic is either one of 2 things:

1. Someone who learns, practices, and performs a magic trick the EXACT same way they were taught. Everything is the same, from the basic effect, the patter, the type of objects used, etc.

2. Someone who learns, practices, and performs the original effects that inspired other artists to create (or re-create) the tricks we know today.

Anyways, that what I think. I look forward to see what you guys come up with.

Itwasluck, I disagree with you on the first point. In my opinion, a purist will make his/her own patter to suit his/her own style. He/she will not stick to the original script and may even do a routine in a different order from which it was taught.

A purist is one who uses no gimmicks whatsoever. They, however, do not shy away from minor set-ups. They stay away from full (or more than a quarter) deck stacks. For example, a poker demonstration hand or two set up is acceptable. However, if given a brand new deck, a purist will use the full deck "stack" to it's utmost advantage. Carrying a small item to aid in an effect where you know you are going to perform is also acceptable - for example, Wayne Houchin's "Indecent" effect.

I am a purist. I will not do the effect the exact same way that it was taught. That is not my patter. That is not my personality. That is not my flare. If an effect requires a gimmick such as a duplicate card, I will do my best to modify the effect to achieve the desired result without one. Sure, it requires a lot more sleight of hand, but in the end, it gives me the most satisfaction. Knowing that I have entertained with mere skill tells me that my efforts have paid off. I do not despise those who do use gimmicks. I simply prefer not to use them.

Call me what you will, I am a purist in my terms.

Cheers,
Shanku

PS. I don't do much magic now. I do more "cardistry" (or whatever you want to call it)... I guess I should practice a few of my tricks. Tally ho!

PPS. Don't I sound really sophisticated in that response?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Canada
In my personal opinion i think purist is when someone takes the time and pride to correct or perfect something or someone. This can also fall into magic. I believe a magician with purist is a true magician who takes pride and cares about how they preform. I think that they would do whatever it takes to perfect an effect with practise. I think that some magicians starting out, are lacking that. It doesn't matter if a magician uses a gimmick or does an effect impromptu. The spectator will not know the difference. Magic to me is to amaze and entertain people BUT also having fun while preforming and do whatever it takes. When i know that im preforming an effect that uses a gimmick, I don't hesitate to preform it just because its not impromptu. You have to let the spectators know that your in charge and you sometimes have to be firm about it. I don't think differently or change my preformance style if im using a gimmick or not. I just be myself and preform. I have to admit when i was starting magic i didn't practise the effects that i bought and i just preformed them 2 or 3 times then i would move on to another effect and start preforming that. I now know what i did was wrong and I started to practise and take pride in my practising which i believe is purist. I am not always perfect i made mistakes a couple of times during my preformances like dropping a ''Double'' on the floor and loseing a thumb break in the deck to preform a ''Double Undercut'' I used to shake while i was prefrorming and not be myself. I started to learn and correct my mistakes i made.:)

Apr 7, 2008
I think there are two ways to define 'purist'. The first is someone who performs his/her effects in the tradition of the great magicians of the past--keeping in mind that many of the great magicians used gimmicks, gaffs, props, confederates and the technology of the day to achieve their goals.

The second is someone who approaches magic with a desire to execute effects with simplicity and austerity (i.e. without gimmicks, gaffs, props, confederates or an undue reliance on technology), keeping in mind that this approach may deviate significantly from the traditional and in fact may utilize sleights and handlings that have only just been developed.

I'm not sure that a 'purist' by either definition is a better magician than one who employs a more relaxed approach. As has been said many times, the best effect is the one that astonishes the spectator. While I don't particularly like to have a different deck or gaff or device for each effect, because of the clutter if for no other reason, having a regular deck in one pocket and a prepared deck or a gaffed deck or some other specific effect in another pocket ensures that you'll be able to confuse a spectator who thinks he has your work "all figured out".

Yeah, I'm a purist. I guess I do it to prove something to myself, and to feel like I deserve the reactions I get. Although there are upsides, there are also downsides. My magic is fairly limited, so I stick to simple stuff, which is the best magic in my opinion. So, being a purist forces me to stick to the best magic I guess.
PS. Did that make sense?

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
A purist is someone who uses pure sleight of hand instead of gimmicks and duplicate cards

Pros
The whole deck of cards can be examined by the spectators before and after the trick.
There is no need to palm the gaff or duplicate away.

Cons
There are some effects that can only be done with gimmicks such as distortion.

Sep 1, 2007
A purist to me (as far as a close-up card worker is concerned) is someone who does not use extra gimmicks or gaffs. However, in my opinion, a duplicate card would be acceptable, mainly because it doesn't have anything strange in its appearance. A card with a trap door, for example, would be pretty obvious when examined. So yeah, that's what I think about the term "purist."

Feb 28, 2008
I think a purist is sort of a bad thing. Someone who is purist makes me think of someone who wants an art to stay as true to what it was at its infancy instead of seeing it evolve.

The definition of a purist is "someone who insists on great precision and correctness" and I feel that if someone feels that everything they do is correct, there is no room left for them to evolve or see a different POV.

We all seem to view it as someone who works very clean (ie pure) and I guess that is to mean to bring the art down to it's essentials - no gimmicks or gaffs.

Sep 1, 2007
Florida.
A purist to me (as far as a close-up card worker is concerned) is someone who does not use extra gimmicks or gaffs. However, in my opinion, a duplicate card would be acceptable, mainly because it doesn't have anything strange in its appearance. A card with a trap door, for example, would be pretty obvious when examined. So yeah, that's what I think about the term "purist."

Hit it on the head.
AREP.

Apr 28, 2008
Now that we seem to have defined a purist I was wondering why people choose to be one.

For anyone who is a purist, why do choose to be one?

Is it for convenience? i.e. it's much easier to just carry round 1 deck of cards that spectators are free to examine than having to worry about them wanting to look at the deck etc

Or is it because you feel it's 'cheating' and there's no satisfaction for you in using a trick deck?

Or perhaps you have an entirely different reason.

Sep 1, 2007
California
I am a purist for that fact that I only need a deck of cards. I don't feel that using a gimmick would make me any less satisfied with the reactions, I personally am just to lazy to have to bring anything else, other than a deck of cards. Gimmicks are nice, but I just don't like them that much.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I apologize for the length in advance.

I've thought over what a purist may or may not be. Knowing every magician is different, it's hard to define something without generalizing [which something everyone should stray away from.]

I'd like to start with a definition and since there is no dictionary of magical terms I looked up the laymen definition.
Purist (purism) n.
1. strict observance of or insistence on purity in language, style, (insert:magic), etc.
2. an instance of this.
3. (often initial capital letter) Fine Arts. a style of art developed in France in the early 20th century, characterized by the use of simple geometric forms and images evocative of objects produced by machine.

Since one and two are combined we'll treat them as one.
I found this definition of purity to help define number 1.

Purity:
"the condition or quality of being pure; freedom from anything that debases, contaminates, pollutes, etc"

This, from what I see, could break the first definition of purist into two directions.
A)Pure in a sense of no gimmicks, sleight of hand only-normal cards, coins etc..
B)Pure in a sense of nothing getting in the way of the magic.

Since A has been defined multiple times, let us explore B.
I tend to think this second definition is best described by the movie 'The Prestige'
Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."

Three main parts: Pledge, Turn, Prestige.

A purist focuses on these three things. There may be an extra flourish here or a gimmick there, but you walk up to someone who you've never met, take their cards, they pick one-it vanishes and reappears in their pocket or with the help of some fancy color change.

It's when a magician starts doing something unnecessary within a trick that makes it impure.(whether it be patter that doesn't fit or something illogical-i.e. making a deck of cards turn into a rabbit [thanks d+m])
(also)
A magician who loses their passion for magic, the progression, or for the art also loses what makes magic pure. {Doing magic for anything less than a love for the craft, ie: money, fame, popularity..etc}
Now I know a lot of people will misinterpret what I just said and say that anyone who sells their secrets is a sellout magician and no longer a purist. And if you think that's what I just said, then you're ignorance can be corrected by someone else, or you can PM me personally to discuss it.

Back on topic:::
Summary: A purist is either someone who has chosen(for debatable reasons) to use very little, if any, props or gimmicks and rely on sleight of hand, personality, and audience management to accomplish effects.

or

Someone who approaches magic with a pure mind. Someone who loves what he/she does. When creating an effect they approach it with conviction and an attitude to progress the art we all love and to entertain their spectators.

Onwards and Upwards(downwards?...) to the next definition.
(Quick Memory Refresh)

3. (often initial capital letter) Fine Arts. a style of art developed in France in the early 20th century, characterized by the use of simple geometric forms and images evocative of objects produced by machine.

Okay. The first words out of parenthesis : Fine Arts.
I don't know what is considered Fine Art, nor do I know what fine arts majors study...I'd like to think they would study the psychology or philosophy behind why we, as humans, are attracted to aesthetic beings or objects. Maybe they just learn dates and names of artists and facts about their lives...what a waste of education...you could learn these on your own while studying something else...
I do, however, think that magic can be art.
(and now back to the definition)

The key word in the long sentence is...?

Simple.

Something pure is something simple.

Teller's effect 'Shadows' is one of the most simple effects I have ever seen, in terms of what is going on, and yet it is one of the most beautiful effects I've ever seen. It makes me wonder why anyone would do complicated looking stage effects if something like this can create the same sense of awe from an audience.

Simple.
Why perform a knuckle busting sleight when you could have done an easier one on the offbeat?
Why do a twelve packet display when a ten packet looks just as good?

Laymen are just as impressed with a well performed Classic Color change as they are an Ego or Hurricane change. You just changed one card into another, not just any other...the one they selected at random...
Now sometimes it's easier to perform a 'more visual' card change, but when done correctly(accompanied with a great performance) any switch will get a big reaction.

I don't do a ton of flourishing, practice for dexterity and fluidity more than anything, so I don't have the same mentality as someone who does it as their main attraction(so to speak), so maybe someone (a t11 artist?) could give insight into what it takes to get reactions from such a foreign concept(foreign to laymen).

Final Thoughts:
I have none. I think I left it all above. I guess I would just like to tell people to never stop thinking...never stop questioning.

Thank you for reading all the way through. Disagreements are welcomed just as much as praise. Feel free to quote me.
The quote in mine is rights of whoever owns them, not me.

Thanks again,
Rik.

PS. After reviewing my post I am still not sure what a purist should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results