Just when we thought it couldn't get worse...

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
So yeah most of you guyz probably know "mismag822" on Youtube, he's the guy who likes revealing card tricks including some famous ones, and giving away decks for free. He recently created a website containing tons of tutorials for card effects and that pisses me off because i don't see the point in giving away the secret that other people created for free. So what do you guyz think of this and what direction do you think magic will take with these tutorials and people learning/performing them badly ....

Just want your opinion,
Th4nk Y0u

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
So yeah most of you guyz probably know "mismag822" on Youtube, he's the guy who likes revealing card tricks including some famous ones, and giving away decks for free. He recently created a containing tons of tutorials for card effects and that pisses me off because i don't see the point in giving away the secret that other people created for free. So what do you guyz think of this and what direction do you think magic will take with these tutorials and people learning/performing them badly ....

Just want your opinion,
Th4nk Y0u

No offense, but this has been debated to death my friend.

Search engine.

BTW, you should edit your link in order to prevent exposure.

Furthermore, in the general discussion forum you will find a stickied thread in wich you can report this kind of sites. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a bad idea to do that kind of stuff.

Be careful about posting his website link on the forums, other wise you kind of help contribute to exposure. You may want to remove that link.

Also there's a sticky thread about helping fight against exposure at the top of the forum, may want to give that a read through too.

cheers.
Will

Sep 1, 2007
Exposure mostly affects bad magicians. This is not a problem you can solve by bludgeoning it to death.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
No offense, but this has been debated to death my friend.

Search engine.

BTW, you should edit your link in order to prevent exposure.

Furthermore, in the general discussion forum you will find a stickied thread in wich you can report this kind of sites. Thank you

You need to check your quote as well ;)

PJB

Sep 19, 2009
For free? He makes some serious cash from people watching his youtube videos...

Dec 18, 2009
I can't stand this guy. He reveals other people's stuff, and then gives them different names so nobody will know. He revealed twisted flush by Bill Malone and Punk'd by Kevin Ho.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
For once, I actually agree with Steerpike.
I haven't found any problems with youtube exposure since I really got into magic.
Sure they expose what you perform but majority of them have no idea how to perform anyways so it doesnt really help anyone. Most of the people who watch youtube tutorials are horrible at what they do and usually quit after a bit. They don't go into the actual business thus they won't actually make magicians look bad.
As for laymen watching the tutorials... nothing a little presentation and dressing up can't hide. They may know the method, but they don't know that were that good. You can easily fool a laymen with basic knowledge (DL, Forces etc) with the most simplistic tricks.
Sure exposure does take business away from the full time magicians, but most magicians who respect the art and the people involved buy the DVDs and tricks. If I was a creator, I wouldn't really want some 13 year old kid with no skill or experience buying my DVD and learning all my subtleties and secrets. They may know how its done but they don't know how its performed.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
Magicians have been having this debate about exposure for ages. Unfortunately, nothing has happened as a result of all these debates. This is due to the nature of exposure itself. There really is very little one can do when you realize that magic is mostly about ideas (quite often simple ideas).

If someone is making copies of instructional videos or books or notes and giving them away for free, you could take legal action because of copyright violation. If you had some gimmick patented and someone was reproducing it and selling it without giving you royalties, you could sue in court.

On the other hand, if someone explains that magicians sometimes display two cards as one in the context of some trick, that is just telling the world an idea that anyone could have come up with. We can't do anything (at least under current law in most countries) to stop an idea from being broadcast. So there really is no point worrying about that.

It is also true that most laymen don't go searching out for secrets. I had a couple of spectators who told me they would later go and search for the secret. Guess what? They had other things to do and forgot to search for the trick's secret.

Now if we are talking about amateur magicians and dabblers who search for free tutorials instead of buying the books/dvds/tricks from the source, that is a different problem. They will never be as good as those who practice the proper technique and methods by going to the original source. Unfortunately, the internet has increased the number of dabblers because of the ease of access to information. I feel this just something all the serious magicians have to live with, as I don't see any solutions.

At any rate, one thing you can do is to make sure you don't compromise on the quality of your magic. That way you will stand out when someone compares you to the army of dilettantes out there.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Here's a parody I made of him a while ago. Not meant to be the funniest video in the world, but meant to have a chuckle or two. You won't really get it unless you know what he uses or says in his videos. But what some people don't realize is that most of his tricks are very simple; simple tricks that get great reactions. Honestly, when I started out I watched his videos to learn something simple.

And we all know, simple is mostly better than the knuckle-busting, useless sleights we overflood our repertoire with. If simple gets good reactions, he's helping younger people go to the simple side of magic, which in my opinion is a good thing. So it's half and half for me. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIh17QBgE4k

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

Here's a parody I made of him a while ago. Not meant to be the funniest video in the world, but meant to have a chuckle or two. You won't really get it unless you know what he uses or says in his videos. But what some people don't realize is that most of his tricks are very simple; simple tricks that get great reactions. Honestly, when I started out I watched his videos to learn something simple.

And we all know, simple is mostly better than the knuckle-busting, useless sleights we overflood our repertoire with. If simple gets good reactions, he's helping younger people go to the simple side of magic, which in my opinion is a good thing. So it's half and half for me. Here's the video:

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

I actually laughed at loud several times, it was actually funny. "One sec My husbands calling me".

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

lol really funny ....

Dec 18, 2009

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

Haha, I've seen this before. "I cant create a trick without using an elsmley count."

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

LOL hilarious! Has this guy seen it yet? Hopefully??

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results