Left or right handed?

Sep 1, 2007
California
Add - on to my last post

I have been practicing with both hands for my tricks for the last year or so, and yes I do agree it is awesome to be able to perform under all angular problems etc. and be able to adjust to the situation. For my XCM stuff, I don't think it's necessary to have to reverse the handlings frm hand to hand since both come into use of almost equal amounts...but for regular tricks, effects, and routines I would and have been practicing with both hands. As for the guy that talked about Situation A and B...I still think one should put in however much time it takes to master both left and right handed handlings. In the end, you benefit a lot more than the person who can perform it well using only one hand...

I'm not sure if it's an absolutism to say, "Learn Everything in Both Hands" be reasonable with it. One-handed cuts are givens, always good to learn in both hands. Personally I think it's a waste of time to learn fans in both hands both ways both directions the only reason why this would be important is if you were doing fanning deck routines and that's pretty rare these days, most of those decks are for collecting but if you're one of those people yeah the fanning in both hands is important.

However that double, one-handed giant twin fan stuff, oh man that thing looks like crap, you really gotta push in that upper tier otherwise the thing is just going to fall apart, with ONE deck this is just insane not to mention the final product looks like crap most of time no matter how consistent you think your technique will cause you're doing giant fans with roughly 26 cards. If you were going to do it definitely get to two decks out, and while your at it learn one-hand riffle shuffle in both hands and tie your hands behind your back and you'll get a reputation maker.

Like I said be reasonable, deck twirls, tumble cuts, yeah you don't really get any extra for performing that's kind of things in both hands. Card spinners are iffy topic too. Hotshot cuts in both hands have been used to good effect but not really necessary, you can get the same amplitude using two-handed roll cuts, juggle cut, or two-handed helicopter cuts transferring packets. Flipback is also something I see a lot thinking it's really great to learn in both hands, well again do it with half a deck and it looks like crap, full deck is the only really way to get the best mileage for flipback fans.

Kind of a long rant but you see my point though. Don't take it so seriously, "Learn Everything in Both Hands."

Sep 1, 2007
Kind of a long rant but you see my point though. Don't take it so seriously, "Learn Everything in Both Hands."

I didn't think it was that long, or a rant ;) Remember it's just all about where you draw the line UEZ. For the people that have the persistence and dedication, learning fans in both hands is NOT a waste of time (ask the Flourishman if he feels it was a waste of time... he'll smack you with a right-handed indices fan)

the best way to think of it is...

Don't take it so seriously if you don't take flourishing seriously. if you're just doing it as a little hobby that you'll give up and move along to something else, it doesn't matter.

If you want to stick with it, and get really good at flourishing, *take it seriously* and learn everything in both hands.

Sep 1, 2007
California
haha great responses guys

Well, i've been working on both hands recently, and my dexterity and everything is getting a lot better with much practice. Would you guys recommend getting the trilogy set? I have done bits of XCM here and there, for example im doing "magic" around 75% and XCM 25%, but I would like to switch those around. Anyone have any recommendations on certain things to learn first through your first-hand experiences? I would much rather get a real card manipulator's say in it over than what a video says. Thanks again guys,

until the next time.

Sep 2, 2007
Sydney
Im a lefty too...

Disadvantage
Yeah Lepaul spread is a bummer for us coz they dont see the nice spread of pips. So yeah... just do it with the back of the cards facing up.

The other thing is we cant do the "take a peep and remember a card", you know the one you hold the deck vertically and use ya index finger of the other can to riffle up the deck and ask spec to say stop. Spec only get to see the pip side (for right handers), but lefty's lol... they see blank. But yeah there are other ways to get spec to say stop and remember a card.

Advantage (not much really)
Card magic made better for lefty.... >_> Asher Twist....
Pros that are lefty:
Lee Asher
Bill Malone

And these guys are like super skilful cardicians... so yeah.. being lefty of righty... doesnt really disadvantage you.

Play with it.. you might find out something useful... being a lefty... ill let you experiment with it.. That's what Lee Asher told me about 3 years ago when I asked him about how being lefty is like for him.

The funny thing is i started off learning sybil right handed but dunno how come i suddenly switched to left handed. Now Im stuck.

So yeah, im with Jonas on if one can still choose, i'd love to be a right handed for cards.

But yeah it doesnt really bother me that much now... Im just thankful for the things i can do now being a lefty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 28, 2007
force yourself to be abidextrious that is what i did.(still can't right as well with my left though)

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Learning with Left hand is indeed difficult, but its more simpler for us to get taught when it is straight on, as over the shoulder view does not work so well.

I learned Sybil as a right hander, so when I flourish, my J5 is right handed, however other flourishes such as Pandora is performed with my left hand, which makes it difficult to create combos and all that.

Mar 2, 2008
Philippines
hey guys, this is the king of cards here. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me on left and right handed card handling. I know that traditionally magicians use their left hands for everything, but for some reason when I learned magic I did it the other way around, and ended up using my right hand. Some said I did this because I am left handed, but I am indeed right handed, so I don't really know how my disposition came about. It gets painful to have to flip around peoples instructions for my right hand when they were intended to be learned with the left. Can anyone help me switch over to using my left hand?

Thanks =)

For me, left handed people uses their right hand for dealer's grip while left hand in biddle grip. I'm a left handed that's why when I have a friend who want to learn I ask them first if they are left or right handed. I'm a left handed but when doing Le Paul Spread my left handed is in dealer's grip. And I think being a left handed or right handed is not a big problem. Like Bone, I think he is a left handed...

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad I'm not the only right-handed person who has a right-hand mechanic's grip. I never found that to be a great problem, it's just a little harder in the beginning when you're learning the basics. The only thing that really annoyed me was my blank thumb fan, but after 3 months of practice I can do a pretty good thumb fan in my left hand. :)

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I'm left handed.

I hold my cards in dealer grip with my left hand

Hold BIDDLE grip with my right hand.

I spread the cards left to right.
Play guitar RIGHT handed.

I Palm coins easily with my Left hand
Do a retention vanish with my left

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results