Magician to Magician

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
So a queston on magician etiquette when your sessioning with another magician and he does a trick that fools you is it ok to ask how it's done.

Saying that he "fooled you" sounds a bit bad for me.

I still enjoy when I get "amased" at some trick performed by another magician.

See the difference?

In my opinion, out of respect, don't ask. If he offers to share some of his ideas with you, great, but asking it "how it's done"... I dont know, I dont like it.

in the pretext of a session where you are in a position to exchange ideas and what not i dont think its a fopah to ask how an effect is done so long as you are expecting the answer to be no and willing to respect that.

I have had that happen a few times. Inless i am 100% sure i want to put the work in to the effect and perform it. Then i would want to know how its done. But i do not ask... if im interested in the trick you ask where can i learn that?? But i like seeing magic.

Dec 20, 2007
Oxnard
www.djalkimi.com
re

in the pretext of a session where you are in a position to exchange ideas and what not i dont think its a fopah to ask how an effect is done so long as you are expecting the answer to be no and willing to respect that.

I completely agree, we're all here because we are serious about the art and have a mutual respect for each other's skill and effort. I would expect any magician to want to know how an effect is done if they don't know already, and I would appreciate that I 'fooled them'. And of course I would completely respect an answer of 'no'. Any ill reaction to that answer is contrary to the point.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I sometimes go with the, "Where can I learn that effect or please point me in the right direction." type phrasing so it doesn't sound like I'm a two year old asking to show the method.

Sometimes if both magicians are jamming and throwing ideas / effects back and forth at each other then it might be a bit different.

If it is an effect that blows me away and I know that it probably took that person countless days / years to perfect it....out of respect I just enjoy the effect and do not even bother to ask.

Dec 20, 2007
Oxnard
www.djalkimi.com
re

Well yeah you don't want to sound oblivious no matter what you're talking or asking about. And each situation is different, but just jamming with someone I think it's almost expected to want to learn new things, just expect people to keep certain things to themselves.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
why? what does he do? do tell:)

he´ll kick your spongeballs and vanish your magic wand!!!

but seriously... I got jam a few days ago (my first jam ever) and these guys were great, but I didn´t want to share all my secrets and my secrets sleights..

I got some personal tricks that these guys ask me again and again and again, and I felt a little uncomfortable, I just gave the impresion that they will steal my ideas and publish them somewhere.

Of course I did answer questions and corrected some sleights that they were doing wrong, and share only one of my tricks but It was the first time I see these guys and If they use this trick it´s fine, but if they publish it (which I don´t think they could since is a very simple trick) they must give me some credit if is the same.

I think it all goes about trusting in your buddies... but I didn´t trust them enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
So a queston on magician etiquette when your sessioning with another magician and he does a trick that fools you is it ok to ask how it's done.

The key words here are "sessioning with another magician". I am guessing that these words mean you are showing off your magic with another magician or magicians and you probably know them. If this is the case, there is nothing wrong in my opinion of asking how they did something. However, I feel there is a more respectful way of asking than "How did you do that?"

Asking, "Do you mind if I ask how you did ....?" or "Would you mind showing me how you did that?" and followed by, "It's okay if you don't want to. I was just blown away by how well you did that?" is still within etiquette.

This type of question asks permission of them if it is okay for you to know and praises them on how well they performed the routine. It also allows them to say "No" and you be okay with it.

At the same time, why not just enjoy watching others perform their magic and not knowing how they did it. I enjoy being amazed and it never hurts to let the other person have the lime-light. There have been times that I have seen someone perform a certain routine and they offered to show it to me and I refused the offer because I wanted to remain amazed by it. Even as a magician, I still want to be amazed and not always know the secret.

In closing, whether a magician keeps a "secret" to themselves or not when sessioning amongst other magicians should always be up to them and it be okay with us, the other magicians. We all have routines that we don't mind sharing with other magicians and others we want to keep to ourselves because we feel it is "OUR" routine/secret...it is our so-called "signature" move and don't want everyone else doing it . . . especially if it is something that is making us some money performing it.

That's my verbose take on it!

"Red"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results