Magicians - How much do you charge?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Look at it the other way - flip the script - why am I "taking advantage of fat pockets" when it could be seen as - giving the poor man a break! I always ask for the same fee, but when people choke on it - I work my way down.

It is easier to negotiate down, than add value to your show to UP your price. I know what my show is worth, but I also know what my client can pay - those don't always align.

This is a good way of looking at it. And I actually found it quite helpful in understanding the position. It makes sense.

Look - JT - we do card tricks - let me start that sentence over - JT - have you ever collected anything? Comics, baseball cards, Jerry's Nuggets - those things have an attached value. People pay various prices for all kinds of things that have percieved value...I see sports stuff that is priced at WAY over the actual value - then in another store...maybe less - HELL, even groceries have different prices at different stores - so, why can't I attached a value to my show that changes on boundaries.

I also appreciated this. I think that this is a smart way to approach the business of magic, and recognize worth in what we do. Not what I was talking about, but good insight and perspective.

Are you honestly telling me that you would charge Coca-Cola the same fee you would charge your 60 year old neighbour on a fixed income to do magic at her family reunion. If you want to make a living - SCREW being fair - know your clients budget and and charge what you are worth when you can...negotiate when you have to...or do you want to screw over the old lady...or lose the show because you believe you need to charge everyone the same to be fair?

THIS is what I was talking about. I never said being equal was fair. My original thoughts were about doing the same show for different clients. Lets say they talked and compared shows. The result: same show, different cost, and they are ticked, and want answers. what do you say? How do you justify a higher estimate for one and a lower estimate for another. Obviously this would likely never happen, but its the justification that I'm trying to draw out.

If this is really how you feel - you will NEVER survive being a working pro - keep magic as your side job, and get a real job. I refuse to screw myself over by low balling myself...I refuse to turn down a show where I could make a few hundred for a hour, because the old lady can't affod a grand!
But doesn't this contradict your stories about saying no to the shows that don't pay? I'm being fecicious, but your condescending tone just begged for it. :rolleyes:

I will say this though - the true test of my work has been a few things - repeat business...and charging more on the second and third show - supply and demand! You may have not seen many magicians "worth" a high fee...but then again, neither have most audiences that see magicians in general.

The fact I get my asking fee, is a sign that I am asking the right price. I once heard a business line that really helped...if people say "yes" too fast - your price is too low.
And this is what I was after - The justification for it all. Why do you change more the second and third time? Inflation, supply and demand? More experience? etc. It seems that behind the smoke there might be some solid reasoning behind charging more for future shows. This is why it's a good and helpful discussion to be having.

Anyhow - I don't want to get into it - but I don't appreciate you questioning my value, talent or my ethics in business...especiallyi from a kid that hasn't done what I have in magic or business.

May the path you choose be lit up by the bridges you burn behind you.

Hmm, I apologize that what I said offended you. It was not my intent. I tried to make that clear in other posts that I was not calling your practices out because I don't know you form a stick in the mud. I'm sorry I was not more clear. I was attempting to question the ethics of that type of business in general. My original post in the thread was not even directed to you at all. I'm sorry you took it personal.

To be perfectly clear. I don't know you, nor do I need to. I am questioning the ethics of the practice of increasing prices when it appears to be a wealthy client, just simply to take advantage of the situation. You have shed some insight and new perspective on that, and thanks for that. I'm not sold yet, it still seems sketchy to me. If you have more to contribute, I'd love to hear it.

Justin

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Justin,

Please let me clarify a few points - when I said, "I refuse to turn down a show where I could make a few hundred for a hour, because the old lady can't affod a grand", it doesn't mean I don't have a minimum price that I won't go under. I was discussing the concept of knowing your client can't afford your asking price. I was being condescending...but my last paragraph explained why - your apolagy is accepted, as long as you can forgive me for being upset and writing a bit...well, harsh, although I think a soft harsh, haha. Moving on? Okay.

As for charging two different prices for the same show - and clients "taking notes", or talking.

First - for me - as I am a close up magician that does parlour and walk around, primarily - no two shows are really the "same" - different size groups, time duration, etc.

Also, if people compare - it is easy to justify with truth. They have hired me before, they gave me a deal on their product, they advertised me for free, I did different stuff, I was there longer...etc...

However, most people understand. I have had clients hire me for a private party...then want me for their company. I tell them, well, I will charge you the same, as I don't want to come across that I am trying to steal from the rich...then my client said, "No, I know it is different - my company has a big budget, go for top dollar". He then found out his budget was $10 000, and told me he would help me get the max. Beats the pants off the fee I was going to charge.

Here is the thing - if you are doing this for a living, and your magic is quality - people understand it is your living. Is a Lawyer or Doctor worth 100's a hour? Maybe, if you need them - but all things being fair - they work 40 hours a week at that rate. How many shows can you get to make a living?

This is why so many magicians starve to death trying to be pros - have to publish material, sell off secrets, do lectures, etc.

This is not to say - GO FOR THE MOST YOU CAN - but to say - Understand your clients needs and budget, so you can get paid for what you do. When people can't pay you top dollar, decide what people are willing to pay, because the truth is...

You can list any price - if people won't pay it...then it doesn't matter, but if they do...why would you not ask for it?

I charge accordingly to the venue like previously mentioned, Do I perform kid shows? No. But some of my close friends do and I take a cut from getting those gigs on the schedule. My average price for a hour is $200.00. This states I'm worth the money and I know it. However the price varies to the amount of work required to complete the show. I will tell you this much,...no matter how much I am getting paid I put everything into every show regardless of the money. The money just pays the bills. The question is whats more important to you and what your willing to sacrifice to get it.

Shane

it has been said may times in this thread, for me it all depends on what kind of performance it is and how long. if it is a stage gig, 175$. my stage performances are usually an hour, sometimes a little bit more. for strolling magic, 75$ an hour.

these numbers change all of the time though. for example: i was offered 300$ to do a stage gig this friday, and i took it. and there are always the "close friends" exceptions, but i keep my prices where i think they should be for now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results