Major Problem

Aug 19, 2008
I'm trying to decide what I should major in to become a professional magician, either as a big top Las Vegas illusionist, or for a company like Theory 11. Any suggestions?

Dec 29, 2011
You mean like a degree? You can't really go and study how to be a famous magician in Vegas, simply, to get there, you need a really good stage sow, and some luck. People like restaurant or party magicians are considered professional too, theres no qualification though, you just need to do it. to get any major job with a magic company, you'd probably want a business degree, or something along the lines of website building and coding etc.
Not say to I know much about any of this, I don't, but I know even less about actual magic schools, which I know exist, but they are probably your best bet.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Theater is good as well as business. College will be good for your magic because they have clubs, open mic nights, and talent shows that help you get performance time and network.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
For starters, any no talent fool can work in Vegas if they have the cash behind them. I'll not mention names, but there's one blond bimbo that's played there for years and is known in magic circles for being one of the worse technical acts going (she flashes dove pans, for christ's sake).

BUSINESS is the key, even Mark Wilson has a business degree or three with Marketing being his major if I recall. But it has a lot to do with which area of magic you want to move into; big illusions & revue shows are seriously different from developing close-up type effects & card tricks, there are hugely contrasting skills and knowledge base elements involved. Where business & marketing help in ALL areas of magic Theater will help you more if you are moving into big illusions and even there, at least a good semester in technical theater (sound, sets & lighting) will take you far. On the other hand, if you were moving into big time Mentalism you would want to invest into learning Psychology, Hypnosis, Communications and even Counseling Techniques.

So you really need to know which direction you want to go in the future while making school plans. That means you need to spend time figuring out a few things, such as which arena is most practical to you and your situation. Big Illusions are bloody expensive in that it involves a lot more than buying a dozen or so funny looking boxes that cost a small fortune; you need lighting, sets, costumes and in some certain cases you must be certified as an animal handler, pyro-tech and other specialty elements. You'll want to learn a bit about cabinet work and how to properly build props as well; that would include the fine-tuning elements when it comes to deceptive construction and paint finishes.

As you can see, there is a reason why the majority of magic buffs stick with a deck of cards and a fist full of coins . . .

BTW. . . one very successful illusionist that didn't have a business degree originally, was Franz Harary. . . he's a classically trained Opera Singer (or so I've been told by mutual friends).

Sep 1, 2007
I would say marketing classes would probably be better than business classes. The MBA is arguably the worst thing to happen to American business as it puts way too much emphasis on just crunching numbers and looking at spreadsheets.

That said, I'll echo what Craig said and agree that you really need to tell us what you actually plan to do. I've worked different venues and they're all wholly different beasts.

Nevertheless, regardless of your major you'll still want to take distribution courses in art history, philosophy, public speaking, literature, and music. If you want to be a great artist, you have to study a little bit of everything.

Apr 20, 2013
I am an engineering student.
Astray from the word "art", I know. But truthfully, it gives me the mindset of "I know how to figure it out" kind of thing.
It also give me the mindset of "I can do it."

I would suggest taking Business though if you want to really concentrate on the Showbusiness of magic. Psychology is also important for you if you're a mentalist. I myself take courses in psychology and got tons of books about them.

-LYE

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results