My new stage show. Suggestions?

I just got a job as the new magician on Carnival Cruise Lines and I want to do a new stage show for them. What stage tricks do you guys like? I want to do more traditional magic for the stage, since it's sorta a dying art now.

I just got a job as the new magician on Carnival Cruise Lines and I want to do a new stage show for them. What stage tricks do you guys like? I want to do more traditional magic for the stage, since it's sorta a dying art now.

do both, why not right? card manipulation mix w/ some other like flow, rope magic, etc.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Really depends on who you are.
Are you more of a illusionist? or a stand up? or a manipulator?
I would suggest Mentalism on a large scale but I suggest that to everyone.
I wouldn't go as far as to do the CLASSIC classic as it will kill the audience and not in a good way. If you do want to stick to the old stuff, then manipulation will be a good choice. Some cards, balls, etc, but with a modern style to it so its not like Cardini top hat and coat tails sorta thing but more of Florian Zimmer. A strait jacket escape will also work but add a twist... like... a vanish and reappearance in the audience or something persay.
I myself like to watch manipulators who are entertaining. I say entertaining as some just make me sick. Its always a suited up guy who is producing cards to some music and thats it. I want to see smoothness and some style. The traditional mixed with the new. I also like good stand up magic. like Williamson or John Archer. Mentalism is also one of my favs. Theres the audience engagement and the overall amazement and impossibility.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I think the idea of mentalism on stage is the best way to go as far as pack small, play big is concerned - I can fit my 30 minute stage act into a medium size hold all pretty much, all that's outside that is a big sketchpad on a stand!

It'd be cool to hear what kinda routines you've run in the past though, so we've got an idea of who you are and what you do - There's no point giving recommendations that are going to be no use to you!:p

D.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
i like the idea of mentalism, but how many times are you performing it? shawn farquhar is a great magician who performs on cruise ships all the time. here and here are some tricks that would be great for your show. I'm not saying do these tricks, but watch and see how he fits them all. check out his channel. hope this helps and congratulations on the job.

Jan 18, 2009
I go for a variety show sometimes and then a mentalism/hypnosis show or routine depending.

Fiber Optics is pretty Cool if everybody could see, Book Tests can play very big if you can put out some money. Smart Ass is such a neat trick and I have performed that for a audience of about 250 in a theater setting and it got great reactions, mentalist style or comedy if you have a preference.

I could name a ton of stuff but this is the most hard hitting that I would recommend.

I was on a cruise a few months ago and there was a really good magician doing shows there.
Most of his show was ropes and the 3 rings, but he also did some stuff with mouth coils, and a really original routine involving toilet paper. :D

congratz on the new gig...here's the thing to keep in mind tho...KEEP IT ENTERTAINING. On cruise ships you have to be normal as hell, you have to be the aww shucks boy next door and keep them entertained. Why do you think guys like farquhar, romhany, gleason, and celin are the kings of the cruise ship magic industry - because the people love THEM and NOT what they do. They don't care if they do a thump tip vanish of a silk or willie kennedy air time. If you don't know this here's something to keep in mind, they hand out comment/rate cards to their guests...if you don't do well on the cards, kiss your job goodbye so entertain them and smuughe them. If you're not familiar with stage magic - which isn't a dying art by the way - do what you are comfortable with and go with commercial effects that are proven entertainment value items - ring in gumball, something like fiber optics or mongolian pop knot, paper balls over the head, whit hayden has an excellent linking ring routine with a voulnteer from the audience, some sort of nest of boxes from like david charvet with a borrowed watch, bill in lemon, bowl a rama, floating rose, etc etc. Good luck with the gig and don't get sea sick!

Okay the type of illusions and tricks I like now are ones that do not involve boxes. I love mirror penetrations, and levitations as long as the levitation is well choreographed or for a short while. Puzzle tricks or illusions. for the little sundry tricks, I like the hindu sands routine, or wakelings liquid sands routine, hospitality.

Jan 18, 2009
Smart Ass would be perfect with what Sperry said, comedy stuff and entertaining them along the way is just what this effect is about. The ending is just the cherry on top, maybe some sprinkles, ooooo whip cream also, and brb going to blue bell real fast.

Drew

yes, Paul has the work on ships out right now, pretty much anything by paul no matter if it is in print or a marketed trick/routine is going to work well for ships. I'm actually working on releasing a routine with paul myself that we worked on when we were on tour together a few years back. He's a great thinker and tries to leave no stone unturned such as hiring professional comedy writers to help with certian parts of a routine etc etc so long as the end result of a routine has high magic value and high entertainment value. You can't go wrong with anything paul has worked on.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results