New Idea: Tips by Magicians on Effects

May 3, 2008
I'm not really sure if this is any good of an idea or not but I figured it could be really helpful.

Now lets say you buy an effect, or learn a new one from a DVD. The DVD or book can teach you everything there is to know but you still feel that hesitation to perform the effect to everyone. This is because mastering an effect takes experience. It requires knowing what works and what doesn't work and these can be things that the DVD can't teach you. My idea is eliminating the process of trial and error while performing an effect.

I believe that someone (possibly myself) should create a series of threads, one a week maybe, and each thread would be offering advice on a specific effect or series of effects. If someone has performed this effect multiple times or has experience with the thread and are willing to help others, they mention that in this thread. If someone has questions or needs advice on the effect, they can check the thread for people willing to offer advice to them and then send that person a PM asking their question or for advice on something specific.

Now obviously, to avoid exposure, all tips and advice will be given through PM and not through the thread. And also, people can't ask questions like "How is it done?" They must be specific enough to show that you actually know the effect already. Something like "After I show the double should I do a Top Change to hand it out or should I just continue with the effect?"

So I hope I made myself clear just exactly what it was I was thinking of.

Please do let me know what you think. Let me know if you sound interested and I can start doing these. And please let me know of any question you may have.

Thanks,
Charlie

May 3, 2008
i think its a great idea.

this could help with alternate endings or other presentations......

Exactly.

Also, if anyone is having trouble with an effect, they could message me and request that I make that next week's thread.

I mainly just think this would be great because when there's people like me who don't have any friends into magic and could just have to throw away an effect due to a problem you can't solve, you can ask people who are open to help you and have personal experience from the effect.

May 3, 2008
So perhaps something like the Pressure forum would be useful, or what Penguin Magic has with their private forums section?

Yeah a bit like that. But with a bit more personal. Mainly just a question being answered by one or two people. Not just everyone giving you advice which could be bad like Penguin's.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results