New to Magic, Need Help with Definitions

Jul 6, 2017
Hello everyone! I am new to magic and I just got The Expert at the Card Table today. I was looking through it and saw quite a bit on a technique called a shift. The issue is, I have no idea what that is... If anyone could kindly let me know what that is, I would be very appreciative. Also, if anyone knows of any other weird definitions that a beginner may not know, please feel free to post them here as well! Thank you!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I definitely recommend picking up some more books. Expert at the card table is by no means a beginner magic book. In fact, it is more of an advanced cheating book than it is magic.

That being said, there are a couple more terms with different names. The Slide is now known as the Glide (not a big difference). A lot of the Transformations Erdnase mentions are Color Changes (again, not that big of a difference). If you have any more questions feel free to ask em!

Jun 18, 2017
Yeah I have to say I'm a little disappointed in Erdnase not because it lacks information, far from it, it's just really inaccessible compared to other texts. It's a good buy, and I'm happy I've got it, but I learn much better from other writers or, chiefly, DVDs.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The basis of most modern card magic is in Erdnase. But it's not an easy read. It will reward the student who studies, but will not reward a casual reader (Vernon, paraphrased)

Royal Road To Card Magic is a far easier read and provides a solid foundation for card magic. Or the Card College volumes 1 & 2 - they will provide a much larger foundation, but are also correspondingly more expensive. RRTCM is a good, low level price entry for card magic.

DVDs will generally only teach you about 10% of what's out there, and are often just rehashes of what's been in books for decades.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jul 8, 2017
marlo tilt: getting the card second from ther top
false cut: falsely cutting a deck with no changes happend to the deck
color change: changing a card with movement
Control: getting a card to the top
double lift: picking up two cards without the spectator knowing

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
marlo tilt: getting the card second from ther top
false cut: falsely cutting a deck with no changes happend to the deck
color change: changing a card with movement
Control: getting a card to the top
double lift: picking up two cards without the spectator knowing
Marlo's tilt is a move, not a definition of a large sector of sleight of hand.
A Control isn't necessarily to the top.
False cuts are known as Blinds in TEatCT
Color change isn't necessarily with movement.
The rest are not really difficult to figure out, but they might be helpful :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results