Opener For Mentalist

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I'm slowly transitioning from magic, into mentalism.
So I have one question, what is your opener in the close up situation? What is "Chicago Opener" in mentalism, so to say?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm slowly transitioning from magic, into mentalism.
So I have one question, what is your opener in the close up situation? What is "Chicago Opener" in mentalism, so to say?

I remember reading somewhere that you are the opener. Introduce yourself, tell them about what you do, tell them you will demonstrate, and then do your first effect.

The opener will depend on what kind of mentalism you do, for example, Banachek's opener will differ from Keith Barry's, who will differ greatly from Darren Brown.
They do different types of mentalism, the characters they portray are different and that's what is important to look at.

What type of mentalism interests you?
PK, mind reading...etc

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I remember reading somewhere that you are the opener. Introduce yourself, tell them about what you do, tell them you will demonstrate, and then do your first effect.

The opener will depend on what kind of mentalism you do, for example, Banachek's opener will differ from Keith Barry's, who will differ greatly from Darren Brown.
They do different types of mentalism, the characters they portray are different and that's what is important to look at.

What type of mentalism interests you?
PK, mind reading...etc

Well, I don't know all the types of mentalism, because I'm only a beginner. But, I guess, for starters, some predictions and mind reading would suffice.

Try focusing on the entire message of your show first. The opening should lead into the middle of the show, and the middle should set up for and build to the end.

I wouldn't just cherry pick effects without considering things like themes, messages, image, show run time, etc.

You could do an amazing lotto trick, but if your show is about communicating with the dead, it probably wouldn't fit well.

Nov 8, 2008
Alabama
I perform ESPerfect nearly every time, took awhile for good presentation but it kind of shows you aren't some regular magician and the killer ending just helps build a strong foundation.

You want something quick and strong usually, swami gimmick is probably best to start off with. Don't just do the generic you think of numbers and I write them down. Do loto predictions or hotel numbers they've stayed at or maybe their house address numbers if you are daring, I don't recommend the last one because it would be way creepy.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Try focusing on the entire message of your show first. The opening should lead into the middle of the show, and the middle should set up for and build to the end.

I wouldn't just cherry pick effects without considering things like themes, messages, image, show run time, etc.

You could do an amazing lotto trick, but if your show is about communicating with the dead, it probably wouldn't fit well.

Yeah, he's pretty much right. I couldn't see a Spiritualist do a Lotto prediction unless he presented it like he got the numbers from the spirits.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia

Yes, I know, that is why I said that I would like to do some mind reading and predictions. You need to make more sense in mentalism than you have to in magic. I just wanted to know if the opener is something like in magic, you know, short and sweet and to catch their attention.
One in the hand is a great way to open. Really good effect and will help EXPLAIN what you do to your audience.

DC

Great, thanx. Now, where can I find it?

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Oh for sure man, you'd get SOOOO much out of it - When I was first shown it I didn't have a CLUE.

It's killer, great method, REALLY easy and one of those tools that are GENUINELY only limited by your imagination, it's only about £20 - BUY ITTTT!*

DC

*I'm not affiliated with Mozique or Alakazam in any way except sometimes Nardi gives me free stuff if I get him loads of business.

p.s. That was a lie.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results