Pick A Card Help

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
just guess the card.

Lol, I had a guy the other day who was working the doors at the place I was gigging and he was quite old and quite weird - He took the deck looked at a card and shuffled it back in...

Any one that knows 'Cold' will have a concept of the way I go about guessing cards - I know the Doc Hilford speaks about the same wording techniques on his Cassandra deck DVD.

D.

May 8, 2008
England
I can't believe none of you guys thought about this. I first saw this in Mathew Mellow's Technique dvd - and i've loved it and cared for it ever since.

What is it?

A PEEK.

What I was going to say... I'd just ask them to call stop while I shuffle, shuffle the card to the bottom and then glimpse, handing them the cards. The patter flows too, 'actually, why don't you shuffle the cards, just to be sure' or something along those lines.

This, or a force, would be my preffered method. Fan control would be good... But you set a pretty hard critera to meet.

-S

Mar 29, 2008
...and there we have it...a kid that wants his "pick a card trick" to involve NO method, and you all start naming every method...and the more he claims he wants it to "just happen", the more you all spout to create an entire thread of exposure. Nice....and I hate this forum that much more.

T11...you never fail to disappoint, in disappointing.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
...and there we have it...a kid that wants his "pick a card trick" to involve NO method, and you all start naming every method...and the more he claims he wants it to "just happen", the more you all spout to create an entire thread of exposure. Nice....and I hate this forum that much more.

Because we all know magic effects 'just happen'?

I don't see how this is exposure, seeing as though we are naming different techniques which put together - form an effect. Even then, I don't recall seeing anyone actually describe how to do them, only mention them.

I think it's time to stop hoping for a 'perfect community'; rather it's time to be more realistic - and if you don't like that, then charge over to MC! ;)

(ironically enough, the starter of the thread wasn't too realistic either :rolleyes:)

Gustav

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia

Exposure of what?
We are just naming sleights...

Mar 29, 2008
Oh, Hi Gustav,

Thanks for talking down to me and trying to belittle the moral good by talking down to my post - you are a stand up guy. I hope we can meet someday, so you can be so bold in person.

I MUST be out of my mind to think that "NAMING THE MOVES THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM ON KNOWING HOW A CARD'S NAME IS ASCERTAINED" is expsosure..I MUST be on crazy pills!! How dare I be so unrealistic to think that we would uphold the oath and do our best not to add to the amount of exposure that exists...afterall, it is not like this is a forum that all can see, and you don't have to be a member to read the threads...huh? What is that Mod's? Anyone can read this stuff? Oh...so, what were you saying Gustav?

Wikapedia defines magic exposure as:

Exposure in magic refers to the practice of making magical methods (the "secrets" of how magic tricks are performed) available to those who are not magicians.

Which is ironic, because they also give exact directions on how to perform a FARO SHUFFLE, by searching that out...or what a palm is...or a card force...or equivocation.

What is your opinion, is your argument - why bother trying to stop the bleeding? What does it matter? Why try? Is it better to live in your narrow minded concept of progression, than to strive for the lesser evil. Do I think I can stop exposure? Nope - but it is our duty in the "brotherhood" to help each other maintain the oath.

Way to uphold the status quo Gustav, your dedication is overwhelming...ly pathetic. I can only imagine you are an equally inspiring enterainter...really - I can ONLY imagine.

I have seen many good magicians, with solid experience and ability to lend advice, leave this thread for the kind of response I would get for pointing out something that IS exposure, even if we don't realize it - the real issue is - how far has magic disgressed that we don't realize it is exposure?

So, if you are challenging me to leave - fine - however, I have been posting solid content to help magicians for awhile now - my leaving will be felt by the group - if you stop posting...nobody would notice.

I will be certain you would feel different if I were to expose every effect you have mentioned on this forum from your other posts - or decided to just start talking method all the time - THIS THREAD discusses direct methods...it is exposure - don't be so "high on your horse" to think people are so stupid that they don't understand the self explanatory "terms" we have given our methods.

These aren't science terms - phillistines!

At the risk of being accused of being a jerk; What you are looking for in the capacity that you have outlined in your initial post is called Real Magic and it does not exist.

I would use a marked deck to get close to what you are after, but I think you would be better pleased with yourself if you invested the time needed to learn the slights and card control that are comonly used to achieve the afromentioned effects.

I am not looking for a way of not using sleights. I am just curious if anyone knew of such a trick! So don't go around making accusations on stuff like that if you can't read minds.

Mar 29, 2008
ON a side note - MagicPros - you have been given some good methods - there are other self working methods - PM me if you want to discuss it more. Please email me the criteria, so I am certain.

Also, what do you want this for?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
and Gustav, technique didnt involve peeking...?

No, no it didn't, but Matthew teaches one latter in the dvd ;)

Oh, Hi Gustav,

Thanks for talking down to me and trying to belittle the moral good by talking down to my post - you are a stand up guy. I hope we can meet someday, so you can be so bold in person.

Thank you for using my real name, and yes, that would actually be quite nice - I do in fact admire some of your posts as they provide interesting reads and things to think about!

I MUST be out of my mind to think that "NAMING THE MOVES THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM ON KNOWING HOW A CARD'S NAME IS ASCERTAINED" is expsosure..I MUST be on crazy pills!! How dare I be so unrealistic to think that we would uphold the oath and do our best not to add to the amount of exposure that exists...afterall, it is not like this is a forum that all can see, and you don't have to be a member to read the threads...huh? What is that Mod's? Anyone can read this stuff? Oh...so, what were you saying Gustav?

Okay, this is the part I don't understand. Alright, I admit maybe I added to the so called exposure by implying that MagicPros should do a 'peek'. And you have responded with outright sarcasm and rude tones. So if I did do something wrong - why the aggression?

I really don't see how anyone reading this is going to understand half the terms used here - and even through the few who some might come across whom actually disclose some information, it's no more than can be learned through the myriads of tutorials on youtube, of publicly broadcast television shows...

I in no way condone exposure, but i will add that steaming it off on me won't be helping anyone - especially not MagicPros, whom the thread was for originally.

What is your opinion, is your argument - why bother trying to stop the bleeding? What does it matter? Why try? Is it better to live in your narrow minded concept of progression, than to strive for the lesser evil. Do I think I can stop exposure? Nope - but it is our duty in the "brotherhood" to help each other maintain the oath.

No, I will not begin in my opinion towards this becuase it is completely irrelevant. Telling someone to use a 'peek' - which, to my knowledge is not a copyrighted move - could mean anything. Mentioning the words 'control' 'crimp' or 'peek' in here have a dizzyngly smaller effect on anyone than the myriad of results you will get by simply searching 'magic tutorial' anywhere on the internet. I agree we should very well maintian the oath, but to help another magician is all I try to do.

Way to uphold the status quo Gustav, your dedication is overwhelming...ly pathetic. I can only imagine you are an equally inspiring enterainter...really - I can ONLY imagine.

More aggression? Misplaced?
Sarcastically and teasingly insulting me is not only rude, it is also incredibly off topic. Throughout many of your previous posts, you 'jab' at people based on their opinions (mind you, I haven't expressed mine yet) even though they are irrelevant now.

I have seen many good magicians, with solid experience and ability to lend advice, leave this thread for the kind of response I would get for pointing out something that IS exposure, even if we don't realize it - the real issue is - how far has magic disgressed that we don't realize it is exposure?

Perhaps you are right, and maybe this is exposure. But maybe you could have addressed it to me in a more, inviting way, after all - have I done you much harm?

So, if you are challenging me to leave - fine - however, I have been posting solid content to help magicians for awhile now - my leaving will be felt by the group - if you stop posting...nobody would notice.

Now, here I think you might have misunderstood me. When I said the things I said/typed - I meant that if you are indeed dissapointed with the community- why not just move over to the Café, instead of comtinually posting about your dissapointment. I see now that you thought i wished you fare-well, but in fact I was giving you a friendly suggesting, depicted and outlined by the (;)) in the end.

Thank you for once again outlining my idiotic and obviously misguided presense here, it makes me so very heart warmed. A chance is all I ask.

I will be certain you would feel different if I were to expose every effect you have mentioned on this forum from your other posts - or decided to just start talking method all the time - THIS THREAD discusses direct methods...it is exposure - don't be so "high on your horse" to think people are so stupid that they don't understand the self explanatory "terms" we have given our methods.

These aren't science terms - phillistines!

So, maybe a few terms here may in fact lead to the discovers of trickery. But in order to help, we must at least give some information - and besides, where they to look at the back of almost any magic teaching dvd, or on the descriptive passage which follows it in the purchasing website; will they see a mention of various techniques and elements of magic which will be taught.

As I right this, I begin to realize that my previous post may have been exposing, along with all the others - but I do disagree on your claim of 'direct methods'. Do we explain how a magician might get a peek? How a magician might control a card? And what the hell is a breather crimp?

I find it hard for a layman to see someone's control of a card if the magician simply had the card returned and closed the fan - with no suspicious movements, for example.

I sincerly offer my apologies, but I don't see how calling me an intentionally stupid person is going to make anything better; and the simple fact that I actually did search it up on my dictionary what phillistine meant - defeats the idea of the insult.
I will withdraw my comment in the case they are in fact exposing - i'd rather that than having them deleted by a Mod (so notify me please), but I ask you to respect my opinions, if nothing else.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and i'm very sorry If I may have strayed from my point, and would be more than happy to clarify anything; I hope to speak to you soon!

Gustav

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
Gustav,

I get tired of having people to tell it to them softly, while they appear to be abrupt when responding to my posts - sorry I don't understand emoticon tone, but I honestly don't have the time, nor the patience to hold everyone's hand on the path to "enlightenment". I write it direct and hope you would respect my opinion, as I have yours - but realize that this thread is exposure for the most part, even at a smaller level. I try to stay away form methods or movie titles - PM those kind of things.

Your response seems to be - "well, it is already happening in other places/forms"...I respond, so is rape...but I don't think you would accept that so easily, or support it by doing it as well? You aren't exposing (raping) but in a way, you are doing that with magic, my lady, and you are maybe not raping her...but you are turning your head, sexually harassing her with your comments - and really, ignoring that you are contributing, if you aren't taking a stance.

Your reply seem to come across to dismiss my post, as it was never directed at you - but re-read it for face value, it was NOT supportive...so you are either helping the issue, or helping to perpetuate the issue. I felt like you were calliing me the bad guy, when I was just doing what you should have done. Say - look guys - we have a responsiblity to be more secretive - this kind of thing on an OPEN forum is bad news...LIKE those things we all don't like - Youtube, etc.

That being said - sure, they are just terms, but exposure isn't always "saying the method directly" - are you saying that if I came to your show and everytime you did a sleight I just called out the name of it - that would be okay? That wouldn't be exposure? Moreover the term itself leads to solutions, as I showed with a little research...very little.

My point is that we need to keep the secret at the smallest form - you can give info...it's called a PM, like I replied after my last post. THIS is how magicians keep the secret by exchange ideas...in private, not in a public forum. It would be like explaining a trick in public - two magicians share something in private, sure...in a room full of people? Is that not exposure?

I took the send off to the Cafe as an insult, as those guys have issues too...ask about a bottom palm...100 guys answer...out of the 100....1 do it. Like going to a room full of people about heart surgery and they all give you advice, but only one is a doctor? EVERYONE has opinions, but most save them for what they are educated on...not at the cafe.

Moreoever, if I came off aggressive and insulting, it was only after reading your post and feeling attacked - as your quote "high horse", I thought was directed at me, as was calling me unrealistic.

Maybe we differ, but I think you have to give respect to get it - I felt you were the first to jab...I just punched back - but I have no hard feelings and also apolagize if I was too harsh...if it means anything, it was better than what I wanted to write - but tried to be somewhat tackful.

Glad you learnt the defn. of philistine. Sorry if I went a bit overboard...if you couldn't tell, I have no medium...only nice guy and a$$...sorry you have met the latter.

I think my points have merit, and don't see anything wrong with wanting the ideal. However, maybe I set my standards too high....but imagine if we all did.

Thanks for replying - "shaking hands" - see you soon.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Ah, much nicer this way!

I know now what you mean, now that ive had a full day to contemplate on it. I agree with you, on your idea - perhaps not too much on the method you used to convey it. I will EDIT my post out, as I wish for anyone else who is reading this.
I do like to express my opinions, even if sometimes they are illegible - just bare with me.

Either way, I'm glad this is behind us, maybe someday we will meet, only time will tell.

Unitl then, I hope to be seeing mroe of you (the nice guy, not the a$$) around this board - and in no way wish for you to go.

May luck follow you;
Gustav

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results