practicing on airplanes

Aug 31, 2007
Austin has some very good points - visual magic, and especially stuff in the hands such as a simple two card transpo is perfect for breaking the language barrier.

Anyone else have any go-to effects for foreign spectators?

Oct 5, 2012
Back to suggestions, do you do any Memdeck work? I just spent two long flights plus lay-overs getting down mnemonica. The other advantage is it just seems like you are playing a really boring version of solitaire, so there is no risk of exposing an effect to lay people (a concern no one seemed to really mention, unless I missed it.) There is no sleight-of-hand involved, so you don't risk dropping the cards. Also, By Forces Unseen is one of the most knucklebusting books I have, and you may not want to try some of that stuff out in a cramped plane seat, especially if you don't want to drop your cards.

So I would recommend Mnemonica practice. You would definitely have it down before you landed. Another good thing for the plane would be a book on magic that doesn't require practice but only study ie. Strong Magic or Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz, or any of the other books on magic theory rather than particular effects.

Re: Airport tricks...use the surroundings. I totally agree with what everyone has said about length of trick, etc. but if you can also find a way to utilize the airport setting (something with flight numbers, or gates, or a story about traveling) that will make the magical effect more memorable and meaningful.

Oct 5, 2012
I was lucky and the person sitting next to me fell asleep. Also, there is an iPhone app for stack work that has Mnemonica and can be adjusted to go by # then Card, Card then #, forwards, backwards, or at random. You can also adjust the delay. So that with headphones makes you seem a bit less crazy, although I was mouthing along...still totally worth it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results