presenting the floating table

Sep 23, 2012
although losander, and I am assuming, many of you perform the floating table to music, I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on how to present it without music.
One of the other issues I have is that there is a table waiting for me at my venue. If I bring along another table and not use it would be suspicious. I suppose I can set a few of my props on it, but considering it is a floating table I don't know how much it will hold, and I am not willing to test its strength.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What is the feeling or vibe that you're going for in your presentation? Most people I see do the floating table are really doing a table-shaped zombie ball.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
I guess that is what I'm doing.
I usually perform for kids so that might change things a bit.

It's a bit worrying that you say that you guess that is what you are doing. Surely if you are doing a show you know exactly how your presenting it? Is this the first time you have used the floating table? If it is how have you been rehearsing with it, in what context are you going to introduce the table?

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Sorry I only just saw the other part of your response. In terms of the context of the table are you just planning on bringing it forward and making it float or is there more to it?

Sep 23, 2012
To answer your first question: yes, I have rehearsed with it.
To answer your second: I wasn't sure, as I stated before I have never used it in a live show before. I was thinking of using it to hold some of my props then saying: "for this I will need a table. I am going to use this one because it is smaller." And continue with the effect.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
This is my point about rehearsing with it. Its one thing to learn how to use a prop it's another about putting it into a routine and rehearsing with it. I don't mean to sound harsh but it sounds like you have bought a prop because you liked it but haven't thought about how that will fit in with what you already do. If you look at Derren Brown who uses it, he places it into a context of a larger routine, or Tommy Wonders floating bird cage which is a zombie ball/floating table effect but again he places it within a routine/context which gives the effect reason and purpose. This is what you should be thinking about. What are you already performing? At what point in your act are you planning on using it? What is your style of performing? The problem you will have is if you just suddenly bring out this table and make it float the effect wont be as strong because people will automatically assume its a trick table, they have to believe this is just a regular table. Yes by placing object on it will help, but you have to make it fit into a fuller routine. Maybe perform some small PK effects, small levitations leading up to the climax of floating a table.

Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for your help, but I kinda was really just asking how others present it.
For example, I have seen a magician who uses big Elvis-like glasses instead of the anti gravity box, and says that he's contacting Elvis' spirit.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
your missing my point. It isn't about how others perform it because if you just do what they do it wont fit you and your style. You have to work out how to perform in context to you and what you are already doing.

Sep 23, 2012
So in other words you don't want me using someone else's ideas, because they would not be tailored to my show style.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So in other words you don't want me using someone else's ideas, because they would not be tailored to my show style.

That's correct. It's also lame to use someone else's idea because it's not yours. They are already doing it - why would you want to be another one of them? They're probably already better at being them then you'll ever be.

What you need to do is think about what you think would be a good presentation for the floating table - why is it floating? What is the purpose of your routine in the context of your act?

Sep 23, 2012
Cool.
If you don't mind me asking, what table are you using, it doesn't look like a losander. (not saying that its a bad thing) just was curious

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Cool.
If you don't mind me asking, what table are you using, it doesn't look like a losander. (not saying that its a bad thing) just was curious
I am using the Losander Table. I bought it directly from him at his house in Las Vegas.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results