Problems with turnover reveal

Nov 12, 2009
I have problems with the turnover revealing of the top card and/or double lift. I do the basic turnover where you hold he card at the middle with just the thumb and the forefinger and swipe it across the deck like a paintbrush then turn and let go off the card(s) so it falls back square on the deck.

My problems are:

1) I can't exactly swipe it smoothly. It seems kinda stuck halfway, or if I manage to do the full swipe motion it kinda moves back. Don't really know how to explain, but I hope it's understandable.

2) The letting go of the cards always ends up falling on the deck disorganized. It never lands squarely on the deck. It juts to the side, and especially if it's a double lift, 2 cards don't stay squared like it should.

What can I do to fix this? Practice is key, however I always believe wrong practice will only make wrong habits, resulting in worse technique. Any help from the experienced here?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2009
If I think I read your post correctly, then there's some tips you can utilise to create a smooth double lift.

When I'm gripping the double to turn it over, I usually press down on the back of the double with my thumb in the process of displaying it to the spectators. This helps in ensuring the double sticks together when I drop it back down to the deck.

Try to slow down when you're turning over the double. When you do it too quickly, it makes your double looks suspicious and also gives rise to what I believe is your first problem.

Nov 12, 2009
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I've followed Rockefella's advice and has improved. Guess I just need more practice. From what I know I'm doing a strike double lift, which explains the turnover part, and the part I'm not smooth at, as I already have a pretty steady feel for striking 2 cards, less for 3 though.

Nov 3, 2009
keep a firm grip on the cards as you turn over, and push them down onto the pack with a bit of force, dont just let them fall, they'll split. after you get it going with a bit more force than needed, start pulling back on it and it'll look good. been doing strike for about 3 months now, and its starting to become REAL slick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results