Questions about making routines. And about books

Feb 22, 2017
Hello, my first questions are about routines. So now i understand that routine is made of 3 tricks and i have read that each trick must be different.

So i have question regarding transitions between these tricks. Do you just do trick number 1, and then continue to number 2? or all tricks must be made into some kind of history? what do say between these tricks?

My second question is, can i do 2 tricks which require spectator to pick a card in one routine, and if yes should i tell spectator to pick different card or use the card i used in a trick before.

My third question is about books. I started doing magic from cards and got myself card college. I am still beginner but i want to widen my magic and i decided to choose one of complete courses. I know there is tarbell's course, Mark Willson Course, and complete course by joshua jay. You probably know more of these so can you recommend me the best one?.

Thank you, and you can answer to only one of these questions if you want, it will still be very helpful i am especially interested in my third question about courses.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hello, my first questions are about routines. So now i understand that routine is made of 3 tricks and i have read that each trick must be different.

So i have question regarding transitions between these tricks. Do you just do trick number 1, and then continue to number 2? or all tricks must be made into some kind of history? what do say between these tricks?

Part of this issue is one of nomenclature. Let me start with how I define the various terms. I prefer the word "effect" which conjures (pun intended) a sense of what the spectator sees over the word "trick" which has a connotation that you are trying to pull one over on the spectator rather than entertain them.

A "routine" tends to be a series of effects that have a connection typically through the prop being used -- such as a cups and balls routine, a miser's dream routine, an egg bag routine, an ambitious card routine or a billiard ball routine. A "set" is a series of three or four effects or routines, typically performed in sequence for walk around. A "show" is a longer series of effects or routines performed in sequence with developed presentations performed "parlor" style (in front of a room of people) or on a stage.

What you are talking about is a "set." I think that there really isn't a transition between effects. You perform the first effect, the audience reacts (applause, astonishment, etc.) and then you begin your presentation for the next effect. The effects you put into a set should be different and should feel different. Eugene Burger talks about having "texture" to your performance. Even if you are only using cards, do different types of card effects. Do a pick a card trick (if you must) with a full deck, a packet trick with just some of the cards and then a torn and restored card. Don't do three pick-a-card / find-a-card tricks.

My second question is, can i do 2 tricks which require spectator to pick a card in one routine, and if yes should i tell spectator to pick different card or use the card i used in a trick before.

It doesn't matter.

My third question is about books. I started doing magic from cards and got myself card college. I am still beginner but i want to widen my magic and i decided to choose one of complete courses. I know there is tarbell's course, Mark Willson Course, and complete course by joshua jay. You probably know more of these so can you recommend me the best one?.

The three books are very different.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course is a single volume that costs around $15. It covers all of the fundamentals. Reading that book gives you a great sense of what magic really is. Although some of the effects and methods in Mark Wilson's book seem a little dated, the effects can be adapted and the methods are very good. Mark covers the classics like coin magic, money magic, sponge balls, cups and balls, billiard balls, money, mentalism, build it yourself magic, stage magic and more. The table of contents is here: http://magicref.tripod.com/bookssz/wilsonmarkcompletecourse.htm

Joshua Jay's Complete Course is more updated. I think it has better treatment of card tricks (Mark Wilson's isn't that good on the basic cards, but very good for gaff cards). If you are younger (say under 20), the style, layout and effects will be more interesting to you. Again, it is around $15. Joshua's book doesn't cover a lot of the classics but has a bunch of good effects you can perform. The table of contents is here:http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/jayjoshuamagiccourse.htm

There are two versions of Tarbell. There is the original course which is available for download for around $25 at the Conjuring Arts Research Center and Lybrary.com and there is the 8 volume set (check L&L Publishing the set is $216 and you get 10% off your whole order if you buy two more books). The original course is good and worth it if you are on a budget. The eight volume set is extensive, comprehensive and a lot of material. The saying is that everything is in Tarbell... and it is pretty close to being accurate. Tarbell is dated in writing style and presentation. The methods are just pleading to be updated and applied.

My reccomendation is Mark Wilson's Complete Course. I like the classics - which are all in there, it is an easier read than Tarbell, it is less expensive then Tarbell and there is a lot of really good stuff in there (but as I tell people, don't point to the hand that is supposed to have the coin, sponge ball, etc. like Mark does). I got the book 10 years ago and there are still effects that I perform including Perfect Force, Bigger Card, Bill in Lemon, Tic Tac Toe, Three Way Test and Chapstick Caper.

Feb 22, 2017
I have another question, i see that this course starts from card magic, but i already have Card college for that so should i skip this section?

I have another question, i see that this course starts from card magic, but i already have Card college for that so should i skip this section?
I typically don't read magic books cover to cover. I look for effects that interest me and then study up on the method and practice it. If you are wanting to be a card magician, you might find a neat little nugget in Mark Wilson's Complete Course that you can use. Might be worth a look.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey

The card magic in Mark Wilson's book is interesting to read through. The sleight of hand is simple, but it makes good use of various gaffed and gimmicked cards. Although there is a little overlap with Card College, most of the stuff is a bit different since it doesn't use sleight of hand.

I typically don't read magic books cover to cover.

You always risk missing something that my come in handy later. I may not learn to perform every effect, but reading through and understanding the methods give you a good knowledge base when you need to figure out how to do something.

Reactions: Dante_Hernandez
Apr 16, 2017
I have question about routine too.

Let stick to 3 effects in a routine. The effect shoulds getting stronger and stronger? Or first eye popping effect, then die down a little bit to have some gags or rapport with the audience, then come to a big finish?

What would you guys suggest?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Let stick to 3 effects in a routine. The effect shoulds getting stronger and stronger? Or first eye popping effect, then die down a little bit to have some gags or rapport with the audience, then come to a big finish?

I think the first presentation piece has to get their attention. Whether you do that through your script, something very visual or something that is more in-depth and intriguing. The second presentation has to entertain. It is your chance to let them get to know your character. The final presentation has to leave an impression. It can be something powerful through the effect or through the presentation. There are many different ways to approach getting attention, entertaining and leaving an impression. All necessarily combine strong magic, strong character and strong scripting.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results