Right of left hand?

Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys, I have a basic question; In which hand should I hold my deck of cards?

I am right handed and most of the time I see right handed people holding the deck in the left hand ( I know it's the ''right/normal'' way) . However, I am a lot more comfortable to hold it in the right hand. The point is; many fans, cardistry moves requiered to hold the deck in the left hand. I've practicing since i'm about 10y/o but it was just for fun and I didn't put a lot of time in cardistry/magic tricks. I've just started to put a lot of time and effort about 1 monthago so I want to start on the good track!

I think it wouldn't take soooo much time to learn back the moves I learned but do you guys think it would be a good idea to start everything over or it dosent really mather? I also tought of learning all my trick with both hands.

What is your opinion on this ? Are you right handed or left handed? Do you hold you deck in your right/left hand?

Thanks a lot! :D

Apr 29, 2012
Just do whatever is most comfortable for you. I use both, but each for different things. But you should learn the basics in both hands, such as, charlier, revolution, scissor, and different kinds of fans. As for magic, use whichever hand makes sense.

Aug 25, 2012
Just do whatever is most comfortable for you. I use both, but each for different things. But you should learn the basics in both hands, such as, charlier, revolution, scissor, and different kinds of fans. As for magic, use whichever hand makes sense.

Thanks that helps me. Some fan can't be done in the right hand because the card numbers aren't showing. I didn't learn them yet anyway. It is all a little bit more clear now.

Any other suggestion?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
However...if you take a deck of cards in your right hand...face up and place a blank card on top...and reverse fan....guess what happens?

You make the entire deck appear to be blank. My mentor Ed Ellis has an entire routine developed off of this principle. Try it, it looks sweet.

Anyway, back to your question. I am right handed, but hold the deck in my left which is what the majority of people do.

Aug 25, 2012
What a great idea! This is why I like it so much. Imagination has no limit here!! I love the great ideas you guys bring.
Since I could change my ''habits'' now, should I switch to the left hands or it really dosent mather? In the long term would it be bad to hold the deck in the right hand?

It seems like there is no negative effects of holding the deck in the left hand but there is some by holding the deck in the right hand. Am I wrong?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results