Sam the Bellhop script?

Nov 11, 2009
I am trying to put together a sam the bellhop routine and I wanted a script to start out with.
any help would be appreciated I googled like crazy and didnt find anything that helped.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't think you're going to find the script to either of their performances. Both of those guys mostly constantly add or take things away from the script that it ends up being something completely different each time.

If you really want to know what to say. Just watch the DVD again and copy everything Bill Malone says.

Nov 11, 2009
I don't think you're going to find the script to either of their performances. Both of those guys mostly constantly add or take things away from the script that it ends up being something completely different each time.

If you really want to know what to say. Just watch the DVD again and copy everything Bill Malone says.

Yeah I was worried I would have to do that

well does anybody have any suggestions that I should keep in mind while I make a routine?

There's a really funny video of Danny Garcia doing it as well that cracks me up every time that I see it. I'll see if we can track it down. Maybe DG knows where? DANIEL? Any help?

OK! I found my original post of DG on the BBLIVE show from January of 2009 in which he does own version of SAM the Bellhop! (He also Demo's TORN at the very beginning of the show) I had forgotten that I added my interview with Kimberly Wyatt of the Pussycat Dolls as well! Danny always cracks me up! Here's the link: http://bit.ly/bFqWBL (Look for the TORN routine at the beginning and his crazy Sam the Bellhop later, but the whole show is funny!) I even pop in for an embarrassing moment or two.

Both of those guys mostly constantly add or take things away from the script that it ends up being something completely different each time.

That's not exactly true. The script is the same. The script doesn't change because that would require the set up of the cards changing. Once you have the set up of the cards, that basically becomes your script. In a situation like this, this is where learning from a DVD doesn't help because it may be easier to learn the story from an actual script you can read. But watching the video several times, it should start to fall into place.

The only thing that may change, like in Malone's case, is the cuts he uses. But that's not part of the script and what Malone does with the routine isn't necessary to make it an effective presentation. Years ago when I first saw it, the guy doing it was only using simple cuts. It's not the fancy cuts that makes this routine effective. Frank Everhart, who made the routine famous and inspired guys like Malone, didn't do it like Malone does it. He just used simple, straight cuts.

There's a download you can buy from Lybrary.com that has clips of Malone teaching the routine, but it also comes with a written script. Just search for Sam The Bellhop and you can get it for $25.00.

Malone made it popular again, but it's important to understand why. Again, it's not the moves, it's the story and the personality of the performer that makes this strong. There's a lot of presentational tips you can pick up from Malone. Also, it's interesting to note that when he first started doing it, he did it like Everhart. He only started adding the more sophisticated sleights to the routine as a way of practicing false cuts and shuffles and the routine evolved for him naturally over time.

Dec 30, 2010
Script

As done by Bill Malone:

I'm going to tell you a story about a guy named Sam who used to own his own little restaurant right down the street from the 654 club. So this is the story of Sam the bellhop and the 654 club... this may bring back some memories.
One day Sam the bellhop was sitting in his restaurant, and it was kind of slow that night, but all of a sudden out of no where, the two big doors opened up wide, and in to the restaurant walked four gentlemen dressed like kings.
Now they were sitting there for a while and were getting kinda bored so they called Sam over, they said, "Excuse us Sam, this is our first time here and we are kinda lonely, would you do us a favour, would you find us some women to help make the time go by?"
Sam looked at his watch and said, "Well it's kinda early but I’ll see what I can do", so the cards were cut. Sam took a little walk, he walked down one, two, three blocks, and said that the best we could do is a couple of brunettes and a couple of redheads.
They said, "Sam they are beautiful… where did you get them?" He said, "The 654 club right down the block."
They said, "Sam you are a heck of a guy, here is a 2 dollar tip for you - a 2 dollar tip."
So now they are sitting there with the girls, if you know what i mean, and i think you do, sir. All of a sudden they get kinda bored and they feel like having a game of cards. They only trouble is they don’t have enough card players. They said Sam would you do us a favour... would you find us some card players? Sam looked at his watch and said
"Well its still kinda early but I’ll see what i can do" So the cards were cut once more...Sam took another walk 1… 2..He even took a left down prince street, and said the best we could do is 4 guys but they are all named jack.
They said, "Oh my God, Sam they are beautiful... where did you get them?" He said, "O the 654 club right down the block."
They said, "Sam you really are a heck of a guy, here is another 2 dollar tip for you."
So now they are in this big poker game. All of a sudden the kings ran into some bad luck, and they owe the girls some money. The only trouble is all they have is a 40 dollar check. They said Sam would you do us a favour... would you cash the cheque... get us a couple of 20s"
Sam looked at his watch and said, "Well it's still kinda early but I’ll see what I can do", so the cards were cut. Sam took a little walk, he walked down one, two, three blocks, and said we are all out of 20s; we had to give you 4 10s
They said, "Sam that’s great, here is another 2 dollar tip for you."
So now they are really starting to like this guy Sam... They said, "You know what Sam,
This is our first time here, but we are coming here again. You really are a nice guy... you remind us of that magician Bill Malone. He says, "Thank you! Nobody is that nice for crying out loud"
They said Sam you are kind of a young guy... he said kind of... They said "we guess your age to be about 38"
He said, "You're close, I’m 39" They said, "Do you live here at the club?" He said, "Oh no, I live in a classy part of town, I live in Lake Tahoe"
They said, "Sam what's your address?" He said, "I live at 13, 29 west8 street" They said, "Do you gamble?" He said, "Everyday at the 654 club right down the block"
They said, "Do you ever see any good poker hands?" He said you wouldn't believe it. The other day this guy Louis _____ came by... he had three 7s and a pair of 8s"
They said, "Wow that’s a full house... did he win?" He said, "No, this other guy David was there, he had 3 aces and a pair of 9s" They said, "Did he win?" He said, "No, Bill Malone the magician - he had a straight flush"
And that’s the story of Sam the Bellhop.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results