Sandwich Routines!

Discussion in 'Battles : Ready to Rumble' started by BenTCM, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Who wants to challenge me?

2. I'll challenge you

3. Any chance of three?

4. I'll challenge you Jack

5. i'v never done a sandwtch routine so yeh im up for that :D

6. im up for it. i'll probably use The Hole Thing routine.

7. Ben...

Your video was done well. The sleights were pretty good, and so was the presentation. Kind of. Well, I'll be honest. I didn't really buy it. It just doesn't sound right. When I listened to what you were saying, I really liked the presentation. When I listened to you saying it, I didn't like it so much. Give me a reason for telling a fairy tale, and it would work. I don't really know how to explain it better than that.

Harry (or should that be Bob)?...

I like your videos. It also has presentational issues, but very different ones. When you play a fool, and/or mess up a trick on purpose, the problem is that most people don't do it well. You do it excellently. I laughed most when it still didn't work after you put the deck down. There was so much expectation, it worked brilliantly. Most importantly, it was believable. The issue I have with your presentation is the other stuff. You start off dictating what you're doing, and it created a bad first impression of your presentation (If I hadn't watched your other videos before, I would've stopped watching then).

Also, I mentioned this last time, you have a habit of playing the fool in half the presentation. Although I like how the trick is structured overall, it doesn't make sense to do an acrobatic sandwich that looks impressive as your first phase.

And finally, there were a few too many inside references for my liking. "We'll make sure the card really is in the center this time" - doesn't work for me because of what it implies about the first phase, although magicians will understand how that references the trick.

Who won? I don't care, to be honest... Congratulations on both putting out good videos.

8. well it can be ... harry....Or bob.... wow im reasonable.... thanks for the response and i am still worring on this, i am creating a new video now because youtube made me remove it for an unknown reason :/ ..... i shall try and keep the foolyness throughout and not skip from serios to fool (if thats what you meen)

and thanks for the advice about the 'inside references i do know what you meen :D

9. Well, if you do divert from the fool, just make sure you have a good reason and that it's a deliberate choice. But yeah - that's what I meant. In general, you need to be consistent with such a distinctive character.

10. thank you i shall most defonatly try this more and work on what you mean :)

11. Both great entries but I vote for ben

12. Reasons? Feedback?

13. I vote for ben because he kept the trick moving well enough. Even though I didn't really like the patter I thought that it was just quick enough to keep the audience's attention and still apply the good effect

14. well it can be ... harry....Or bob.... wow im reasonable.... thanks for the response and i am still worring on this, i am creating a new video now because youtube made me remove it for an unknown reason

15. I really enjoyed Ben's sandwich effect! However, I would like to point out that it isn't 100% original : James Brown came up with a similar trick years ago, in his DVD ''Fancy a Pot of Jam''. A selected card would appear on the back of the spectator's hand, using a rubber band. The pop out move is identical, but I personally prefer Ben's version, using the sandwich rather than a single card.

Marc-Antoine Denis