School Magic

Sep 14, 2007
Hey,

I want to start doing some magic at school, but im not sure where to start. I did an ambixious card pop up move, but they (more-or-less) found out how that worked..

I did stigmata today to a bunch of people in science class (haha-go figure) and it went flawlessly, but they didn't seem overall too impressed. So, im really drawing a blank on to what I should do to get a good reputation, and to really blow their minds.

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

-Deecee-

S

sidrohc

I have got really good reactions from levitation in school. If you have any levitations you like, I would give them a try.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Hey,

I want to start doing some magic at school, but im not sure where to start. I did an ambixious card pop up move, but they (more-or-less) found out how that worked..

I did stigmata today to a bunch of people in science class (haha-go figure) and it went flawlessly, but they didn't seem overall too impressed. So, im really drawing a blank on to what I should do to get a good reputation, and to really blow their minds.

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

-Deecee-

man i do whatever fits the class best.

And during lunch i do whatever =p

Sep 14, 2007
See that's what I thought, so before I went to school one day, i taped a loop of invisible thread to my wrist (under a sleeve), and was going to take random people's pens (or pencils) and move them.

People got it right away, my friend thought it was a "hair" , and so I didn't even bother with many other people, because he would've just told them.

Thanks for your advice though. . .

-Deecee-

Sep 24, 2007
www.myspace.com
i try to not do much magic at school so i don't become the magic-boy that everyone's constantly prodding for a new trick that they can go google.

but yeah if i did i don't know just try new stuff on different types of people and see what works best.

good luck

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
See that's what I thought, so before I went to school one day, i taped a loop of invisible thread to my wrist (under a sleeve), and was going to take random people's pens (or pencils) and move them.

People got it right away, my friend thought it was a "hair" , and so I didn't even bother with many other people, because he would've just told them.

Thanks for your advice though. . .

-Deecee-

Your school sounds like mine.

Well.

I suggest do tricks during lunch to start with.

I showed one upper classmen a trick and he freaked.

And now because of my popularity i got to make a schhool bus disappear. and i have had great buisness.

~Jordan

Sep 14, 2007
Yeah, but idk, we don't get much time to eat sometimes. But lets say we did have lots of time, what sort of tricks do you propose I do?

-Deecee-

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Yeah, but idk, we don't get much time to eat sometimes. But lets say we did have lots of time, what sort of tricks do you propose I do?

-Deecee-

First trick i did.

the 2cm I am terribly sorry i do not know Which version it is.
2 kings turn into 2 jokers.

then i do things such as acrs, Coin transpos, 4 ace routines, m5 stuff.. etc.. Basically anything and everything tht can be done quickly and surrounded.

hope that helps

~Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
USA
ive found that doing tricks for black people is the best.. not trying to be racist.. but they tend to just feel the magic... and usually upperclassmen feel it also... its more of people you dont know because friends know that whatever you can do they can do so they have a clearer mind when trying to figure it out... and trust me... never give out the name of a trick...i did once and then next day that guy was like... i know how to do that trick now

Sep 2, 2007

Remember that in school, while you may be a magician, you're more like the students there. Don't start with a mindblowing levitation or a quarter to soda can, when simpler, yet hard-hitting effect will do. You first have to set a foundation to let people know your a magician, before you can prove that your a magical savant.

I would suggest performing Two Card Monte, Here and There, Weighted Aces ... before moving to more hard-hitting, complicated effects.

But, rememer to practice, if your classmates are able to figure out how you perform your ACR, then you may want to go back to the drawing board -- or a mirror -- and practice, practice, and then practice some more before you go out and perform.

Cheers,
JTM

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that peoples personality types GREATLY affects how they will react.
Easy going, laid back people who get along with most people tend to react better than the people who think they're hot stuff.
People who are in a good mood will obviously react better than someone who is sad or angry.
Since you know the people at your school better than us, I would suggest finding a person who you know, or you are sure won't heckle or just plain old react bad.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
ive found that doing tricks for black people is the best.. not trying to be racist.. but they tend to just feel the magic... and usually upperclassmen feel it also... its more of people you dont know because friends know that whatever you can do they can do so they have a clearer mind when trying to figure it out... and trust me... never give out the name of a trick...i did once and then next day that guy was like... i know how to do that trick now

Well you could say the same about the druggie kids performing for them always makes me feel good.
Not only to you get an over reaction but when they tell other people they over exagurate which is so funny sometimes * i hope i spelled that right*

~Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
I would say start small
let people see how you are getting better
because you are going to be around the same people for awhile
but like seniors and people you know you wont see, make a good last impression trick that is really good and just show them and a small group
then they can leave satisfied

but remember never to do it for too long because you WILL run out of tricks soon
then you have to search for new ones and i can become a pain after 3 years (i would know haha)

i hope that helps

P.S. practice first!!!!!!

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island
if everyone is figuring out your stuff-than ..ubuhduh- u gotta practice! you sound like a major beginner ( no offense) but trust me dude, its not the people in your school which is the problem. Its you!

if everyone is figuring out your stuff-than ..ubuhduh- u gotta practice! you sound like a major beginner ( no offense) but trust me dude, its not the people in your school which is the problem. Its you!

I have to agree with that 100%. if you are not getting reactions from stigmata, you need to get a presentation. if you are getting busted with loops and IT, learn what light it is good in and where it sucks. if you are getting busted with the ACR pop up move, your double is bad or you set up the trick terribly (never do the pop up as a single effect, close an Ambitious with it). and just practice. lots of magicians say people hate card tricks. thats BULLS***. people love card tricks, they have to be strong tho. good luck.

Sep 14, 2007
Thanks

Thanks so much guys,

Eddie: I love doing magic, it's something that I have fun doing. If its performing or practicing or just plain messing around with cards, i'm happy

Jordan Garret: Thanks, In fact, I did a bunch of tricks last night at my youth group party for some of my friends and it went very well.

zeanator3581: I never give out the name of a trick, because I have friends that are constantly asking me what the name of the trick is, and then I know they'll look it up.

Jack the Magician: Ok, at first I wasn't sure where to start, so I did just some simple card tricks, and then stigmata to some other people, and they freaked out.

The Dark Angel: Yeah, there are some people in my school I would never perform to, just because I know they would think it's stupid.

Deceptor: Yeah, I was working with loops one time for him at my house. I did the rubber band levitation (Guerilla Guide to Loops Vol. 1) and he was about to grab it and i let the loop snap back to my wrist, but it hooked the rubber band, and got knotted up around it. Me, thinking it had fallen on the floor, let him examine it, and I did a quick search of the floor when they weren't looking. He showed my other friend who was there, and there it was, knotted around the loop. I acted surprised but they "know" how its done, with a "hair"

JCwebs09: Yeah, I think I will bring a deck to school now, and just do some simple card tricks that I can do very well.

Jeremy C: I don't know about "Major Beginner" but I know I have a ways to go. I've been interested in magic (meaning practicing tricks, getting new ones ,etc.) for about 2-3 months now, and I know thats not that long.

btaylor: Thanks for your help, I know lots of people like card trick, but (as you said) they have to be good.

Thank you guys for all your help again.

-Deecee-

Oct 20, 2007
DeeCee my boy(what am i your mentor or something?) what you need to do is work on your presentation, it should not change with each trick. for example: you do stigmata, well done but then some time later, you move objects with no presentation, this is not bad, however; changing your performance in such a manner confuses people. here is what i suggest write all of your tricks on a piece of paper ( a notebook is best) and write a presentation for each one, sit on it for a week and edit , and then practice(if you've been doing magic as long as some of us have, this will be a challenging undertaking). do magic for a month, and then recuperate for a month buy more tricks, keep them waiting, wanting more. school is a garden of experience for young magicians the WORST of the WORST hecklers are there.

Oct 6, 2007
I'm no expert, but i Have perofrmed in school. The best is in betwen lessons, in the moring, at break, lunch, after school, etc. You want the full attentiion of your spectators.

I would not suggest performing in school, yet, or anymore in your case. 2-3 months is ok, but it would be better if you had more pratise on your sleights but mainly PRESENTATION. Maybe next year you can start performing.

School is a tough place to perform, so the best is something simple but mind-blowing. 2 Card Monte, Here Then There, Biddle Trick, Stigmata, any t11 product, etc. are great effects to perform in school. YOu don't need seriosuly gimmicked or complicated tricks to amaze people, expecially in school.
You need to manage your audience- spectators shouldnt be reaching into your hand to find 'a hair'. If this is happening then its the wrong spectator or your presentation was poor. Choose the right audience and manage them!

Just keep practising and working on your presentation and then try out school!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results