Sensitivity

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
There's an interesting essay penned by Richard Osterlind on this subject which I won't quote but will simply refer to for those interested, in his book Mystique. Suffice to say that I try to keep it in mind whenever I perform at all. He speaks of a zen-like form of action.

Sep 3, 2007
You have to be aware of others emotions, humans aren't animals. We got the ability to actually see in the future. Animals don't hence they act on instincts, humans see in the future ie they can analyze an outcome of their action. It's something very key in social interaction; I mean if I went off my instincts and punched out the boyfriend because I like his fiancee and wanted to assert my dominance, it wouldn't fly over very well. Savy?

You think my post was ridiculous. And then compose the most ridiculous post I've read. I hope I did not hurt your feelings energy man!

Drew

Sep 3, 2007
There's an interesting essay penned by Richard Osterlind on this subject which I won't quote but will simply refer to for those interested, in his book Mystique. Suffice to say that I try to keep it in mind whenever I perform at all. He speaks of a zen-like form of action.

I just work on magic works. Technically, I feel that if a simple card trick is mastered it will work out for the audience.

Where it matters, I think I have learned the pass. A great reason to BAN me but I will always be back.

Let's get a feel for those other guys that know the pass. It's all up to you bros. (Besides acting like you normally do). Hopefully, Goudinov will make a comment on the pass. He doesn't even do cards or coins and still found it in his way to BAN me. I didn't deserve it yet He is a Commy. Got that guys?

That guy on E that Bans whenever he doesn't like something. That's him. I don't like you Goud, do you think I could ban you?

Crap, unfortunately I don't live in a communist society. And I don't know Russian, or that sort of language. All I know, is that if guys like you find it in your heart to hurt someone, you don't miss a beat. You should get your tag ripped off dude.

If I ever saw him on the street he would be stricken with my immediate nature.

Goud supported Katie as a mod and look what happened. She didn't want anything to deal with it. All the other guys thought it would be stupid for Katie to be a Mod. Goudinov got all sensitive about the thread I made. Sorry Man, I should have been really nice with only you in mind!

Hopefully, you guys will leave this up.

I would recomend leaving your E drama on the E boards instead of bringing it here.

No one is going to ban you (yet) unless you really do something that is against the rules. T11 mods seem to be pretty fair about that sort of thing here.

Goud I don't even think has an account here. So, Chill.

Sorry guys. Unfortunately, I was trying to focus on sensitivity of technique. Not the sensitivity of the mind. (Sensitivity of the mind causes moderators to ban you).

As an example. The double lift. So many perform it and only few perform it with a light sensitive nature. And they usually get it right. By being light.

Thoughts?

Yeah, anyone with a bad DL will cry rivers.

Peace.

Sorry about this, I try to not double post. Somehow I missed this.

You're using the word sensitive in an unusual way. I don't think it's the right word you want to convey your message.

Would you please explain to me what sensitive is? Could you give me some examples so I can better understand what you are trying to say please?

Otherwise creative input on this subject is next to impossible.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Where it matters, I think I have learned the pass. A great reason to BAN me but I will always be back.

Let's get a feel for those other guys that know the pass. It's all up to you bros. (Besides acting like you normally do). Hopefully, Goudinov will make a comment on the pass. He doesn't even do cards or coins and still found it in his way to BAN me. I didn't deserve it yet He is a Commy. Got that guys?

That guy on E that Bans whenever he doesn't like something. That's him. I don't like you Goud, do you think I could ban you?

Crap, unfortunately I don't live in a communist society. And I don't know Russian, or that sort of language. All I know, is that if guys like you find it in your heart to hurt someone, you don't miss a beat. You should get your tag ripped off dude.

If I ever saw him on the street he would be stricken with my immediate nature.

Goud supported Katie as a mod and look what happened. She didn't want anything to deal with it. All the other guys thought it would be stupid for Katie to be a Mod. Goudinov got all sensitive about the thread I made. Sorry Man, I should have been really nice with only you in mind!

Hopefully, you guys will leave this up.

Why should we care?
Sounds like a personal problem. Thats a problem you had at E forums. Not here. Get over it and move on.

Jul 13, 2009
You think my post was ridiculous. And then compose the most ridiculous post I've read. I hope I did not hurt your feelings energy man!

Drew

It isn't ridiculous it's social science basic biology humans have emotion and animals don't. Your original post is an incredible example of gibberish. I was simply responding to Prae's interpretation of your post. It's your opinion how you interpret my points, just as is mine to yours. Now I do not know what you are trying to do with this thread but the fact you keep bringing up being banned and hurt feelings, these lead me to believe this thread has no legitimate meaning other then to vent your frustration with an unrelated forum.

"I hope I didn't hurt...Feelings."

"Not the sensitivity of the mind. (Sensitivity of the mind causes moderators to ban you)."

"If you've ever read a book you might get it. "

"My point wasn't for you to get it. Moreso, for guys later on. Just technique, nothing should hurt your feelings here. "

Anyway what does it matter to us Friendo,

Silver

Dec 24, 2009
I'm fairly sure animals have some sorts of basic emotional responses. Fear, love, loathing, etc. are some sorts of emotions that many animals have.

Onto this man who apparently tries to play Rebel Without a Cause complaining about his little quarrel with somebody who we have no care about. Please move on with this, as nobody but you and your little friends care about what some "commy" does to you.

Goud I wish you didn't ban him, so he wouldn't have came here. Punishing us by punishing him is hardly fair but then again I won't be here to read the incomprehensible rants made by this SirFansAlots. Please go back and learn how to write that can be understood and comprehended by an educated bunch.

Jan 13, 2008
Animals do, indeed, feel emotional responses. Fear is a good example (I'm not sure about love or loathing, though...). However, I think what Keok may be referring to is that animals don't have any idea of their mortality, as we humans do. We're the only known animals to be aware of our mortality (that we'll eventually die), which greatly affects how we live our lives.

But yes, like the majority of the people who posted in this thread, I'm still confused as to what the OP was trying to say. o_O

Mr. Jane: I'm pretty sure he's trying to act like Steerpike by being overly aggressive in the tone he takes with other members...the only issue being that he lacks any intellect (at least, none comes across through his posts, most of which are incomprehensible garbage), and he definitely lacks any sort of contribution to a thoughtful discussion (which is what Steerpike was also known for, along with his overly aggressive tone).

Sep 3, 2007
Alright guys. Apologies, I'll put all of that stuff behind me.

Mainly my idea was how does sensitivity with cards/coins etc. play a part in your magic. Sometimes I am finding that if my technique is "too" sensitive it shows and might not come across as well. Other times I feel that I'm much too (clumsy?, not sure how to say it). Do you think there is a perfect balance? Most performers I've seen it is easy to tell magic is being done by either the unnatural sensitivity of technique or the opposite of such.

Jul 13, 2009
Alright guys. Apologies, I'll put all of that stuff behind me.

Mainly my idea was how does sensitivity with cards/coins etc. play a part in your magic. Sometimes I am finding that if my technique is "too" sensitive it shows and might not come across as well. Other times I feel that I'm much too (clumsy?, not sure how to say it). Do you think there is a perfect balance? Most performers I've seen it is easy to tell magic is being done by either the unnatural sensitivity of technique or the opposite of such.

I know your trying but I still am a little lost, maybe sensitive isn't the most correct word to use.

But what I think you are asking is have you ever felt that you do a move not clean enough.. or something along those lines?

Oh another thought do you mean like how elegant a move is performed? Just trying to work with you, so jest give me an indication if I am beginning to think more like you.

Also just to defend my animal point, I am not talking about the in bred pets that have had all of their unsavory instincts bread out of them ie domesticated. I am talking about animals general, do you think a bear who tears out the interior of a car feels guilty that it is destroying someone's property? No it doesn't it just wants food and it will get it now. Furthermore I was just using them as an example onto how humans and animals interact not meaning to go into a discussion onto why the chalupa dog hu*** a pillow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
I know your trying but I still am a little lost, maybe sensitive isn't the most correct word to use.

But what I think you are asking is have you ever felt that you do a move not clean enough.. or something along those lines?

Oh another thought do you mean like how elegant a move is performed? Just trying to work with you, so jest give me an indication if I am beginning to think more like you.

Also just to defend my animal point, I am not talking about the in bred pets that have had all of their unsavory instincts bread out of them ie domesticated. I am talking about animals general, do you think a bear who tears out the interior of a car feels guilty that it is destroying someone's property? No it doesn't it just wants food and it will get it now.

Elegantly: could be exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe the term "sensitive" isn't getting across what I'm meaning.

It's difficult to say what that bear feels. But I really have a strong feeling that it at least knows it is stealing something. Maybe, it doesn't care because it got food. But it would be hard to say whether it feels guilt. It's kind of like, when an animal kills and eats another animal, do they feel regret?

Jul 13, 2009
"Mainly my idea was how does elegance with cards/coins etc. play a part in your magic. Sometimes I find that if my technique is "too" elegant and might not come across well. Other times I feel that I'm much too harsh, sloppy. Do you think there is a perfect balance? Most performers I've seen it is easy to tell magic is being done by either the unnatural elogance of technique or the opposite of such."

That better sir? ^=^

Sep 3, 2007
"Mainly my idea was how does elegance with cards/coins etc. play a part in your magic. Sometimes I find that if my technique is "too" elegant and might not come across well. Other times I feel that I'm much too harsh, sloppy. Do you think there is a perfect balance? Most performers I've seen it is easy to tell magic is being done by either the unnatural elogance of technique or the opposite of such."

That better sir? ^=^

Yes! That is more along the lines of what I was getting at.

It could be the balance between Lennart Green's material and the beautiful perfectionist. Is there a balance that makes it seem completely natural to the audience?

[Edited] It is just like the Bear. He just does stuff and people react. Yet, we all know bears are big clumsy animals with tremendous power. Then thinking about something like a big cat, they are decisive and powerful. Accurate strikes. Is there a balance of technique/elegance between the two?

And thinking internally, is there a way to balance out technique in a way that the elegance and sloppiness become the same?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 24, 2007
I don't think there's a set answer to that. Magic that is smooth can be extremely beautiful, but having rougher actions can make it seem more "real." Personally I prefer more elegant actions, since as a guy with "magic powers" why would anything get in my way? All my actions should be without hindrance.

And on whether animals feel guilt when they kill and eat other animals. Do YOU feel guilt when you eat meat? Even though you don't need to? Wouldn't it be so much better if you gave it up? A completely unrelated point, but I couldn't fathom a way around the problem, so a few years ago, I gave up meat.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results