Sensitivity

Sep 3, 2007
So, being cramped down on only discussing one type of Sensitivity, that of the mind... I wanted to elaborate on my original post that was hard to take in on some other forums.

I'll jump right to the conclusion. Because, the part of the mind comes across as pretty harsh and there are a lot of arguments.

Mind is not a good way to discuss it... (Take my word). Usually, there are 3 aspects to come into balance. The way I'm thinking about it is Mind, Soul, Body. That is a pretty standard measure of most things we deal with.

Even if you don't think about it. Think, feel, feel in between (emotion).

My goal is to somehow relate this to magic. And I have the best Idea. Instead of going on about Thinking or the in-between. We should focus on the feel, or the technical.

There are no emotions involved and on the highest level no thoughts. No reason to argue.

Sensitivity with cards, coins anything in between. The main idea is how sensitive are you with your materials disregarding thoughts or emotions?

Drew

Dec 24, 2009
Hmmm.... your post literally made no sense. You have to make sure everybody can read and understand not just you.

I mean a few times in my life have I ever been this confused. I just lost a part of myself reading it, let's try this again.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
So, being cramped down on only discussing one type of Sensitivity, that of the mind... I wanted to elaborate on my original post that was hard to take in on some other forums.

I'll jump right to the conclusion. Because, the part of the mind comes across as pretty harsh and there are a lot of arguments.

Mind is not a good way to discuss it... (Take my word). Usually, there are 3 aspects to come into balance. The way I'm thinking about it is Mind, Soul, Body. That is a pretty standard measure of most things we deal with.

My goal is to somehow relate this to magic. And I have the best Idea. Instead of going on about Thinking or the in-between. We should focus on the feel, or the technical.

There are no emotions involved and on the highest level no thoughts. No reason to argue.

Sensitivity with cards, coins anything in between. The main idea is how sensitive are you with your materials disregarding thoughts or emotions?

Drew

Ok, I'm gonna attempt to interpret this for the others. I think I've got a good idea of what you're getting at, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The subject of sensitivity can be dealt in terms of three aspects - mind, body, and soul. The mind thinks. The body feels. And the soul experiences emotion.

Now, relating this to magic, we should detach ourselves from two of these, namely body and soul.

There should be no emotion, and no thinking - just performing on instinct.

I hope that that is mildly on track.

In response, Sir Fansalot, I would say the following.

You're treading a fine line. Magic has to have emotion, just on the receiving end; that is, it has to elicit emotion. Therefore emotions must always factor into things. Even in our performances, we must acknowledge our emotions. It is things like enthusiasm and excitement that communicate volumes to our audience. However, other emotions should be left out - things like attachment, when it comes to choosing what effects we create. We cannot for example use an inferior method simply because we are enamoured by its cleverness - yet many magicians do this.

I do also think thought sensitivity is necessary. This is because no two performances are the same. There will always be different situations. Things you didn't realise. I know that I have several effects I perform only if I know that the situation is right - if the spectators are right - and this requires thought judgment.

Your thoughts have merit though in the sense that certainly a large part of our actions should be run simply by feel, through an increased sensitivity and awareness of what it going on through that sense.

I hope I'm on the right track with your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
Ok, I'm gonna attempt to interpret this for the others. I think I've got a good idea of what you're getting at, but correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: This will have to wait a half hour, I'm heading to dinner right now. Will be back and finish this post ASAP. Don't worry confused masses, I'm coming! :p

Thanks bro, I haven't watched or looked at the links but I will when I get a chance.

Peace.

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
yes you did, but it was impossible to read.
retype what you're trying to tell us, this only looks like random thoughts in no specific order.
Like somebody said earlier, this was very difficult to understand, and I got very frustrated trying to read it:p

Dec 24, 2009
My point wasn't for you to get it. Moreso, for guys later on. Just technique, nothing should hurt your feelings here.

So if your point wasn't meant to be understood then why are you worrying about people not responding to this incomprehensible thought.

For guys later on? Been doing magic for over 11 years so I hope you don't mean experience later.

Your last sentence made no sense either, what does it mean?

You seem to be defensive about something that everybody but you is able to understand. Praetoritevong made a blind shot which even I have no idea how he even came close.

If you want to talk about posts then give mine a readover if you'd like. Called Reacting to reactions, your opinion is appreciated of course it doesn't mean anything if inlegible.

I think I got the basic point, you might want to better construct your post for others to get the point as well. Also, no need to throw around insults when clearly you are not in the position to do so. If you want people to read your post and take it seriously you need to act professionally.

As for your post, I completely disagree. You say we should just perform on instinct without emotion? Emotion is what makes a performance. There is something inherently wrong with your magic if you refuse to use emotion. Even a lack of emotion can still be considered emotion. If one doesn't become emotional about their effect then how on earth will the magician connect with the audience? That is the goal of magic is it not? To connect with an audience and give them an experience that trumps everything else.

Hopefully I understood your post to the best of my ability. If I didn't please let me know what point you were trying to get across.

Mitch

Jul 13, 2009

Drew

:confused:

This is makes more sense to me
chalkboard1.jpg

Because its obvious the answer is

pi-pie.jpg

But thank you Prae for an interpretation of gibberish.

You have to be aware of others emotions, humans aren't animals. We got the ability to actually see in the future. Animals don't hence they act on instincts, humans see in the future ie they can analyze an outcome of their action. It's something very key in social interaction; I mean if I went off my instincts and punched out the boyfriend because I like his fiancee and wanted to assert my dominance, it wouldn't fly over very well. Savy?

I'll jump right to the conclusion.

After reading the rest of this, I wish you wouldn't. Apparently there was one hell of a build up to this, and the missing data is probably more important than the gibberish you've got here.

Because, the part of the mind comes across as pretty harsh and there are a lot of arguments.

Mind is not a good way to discuss it...

Discuss what exactly?

(Take my word). Usually, there are 3 aspects to come into balance. The way I'm thinking about it is Mind, Soul, Body. That is a pretty standard measure of most things we deal with.

In what sense? I don't get it. Are you talking metaphysical here? I measure my performance by the audience's reactions, and my success by the size and frequency of my paychecks. Mind, Body, and Soul don't even play into that. Not unless I'm a BESM character, and this a RPG game. But I doubt you'd get that referance.

Between WHAT?

You failed. So far atleast.

Drew

I'm no shrink but I'm fairly sure your claims about higher level of thought and emotion is wrong. I don't even understand what you mean by sensitive with my cards or coins? Perhaps you mean how profecient I am? I agree to the extent that you need to perform good enough that you don't need to think about the moves you are doing, but that doesn't mean perform without emotion!

Emotion makes the most powerful of performances!

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
After reading the rest of this, I wish you wouldn't. Apparently there was one hell of a build up to this, and the missing data is probably more important than the gibberish you've got here.

Discuss what exactly?

In what sense? I don't get it. Are you talking metaphysical here? I measure my performance by the audience's reactions, and my success by the size and frequency of my paychecks. Mind, Body, and Soul don't even play into that. Not unless I'm a BESM character, and this a RPG game. But I doubt you'd get that referance.

Between WHAT?

You failed. So far atleast.

I'm no shrink but I'm fairly sure your claims about higher level of thought and emotion is wrong. I don't even understand what you mean by sensitive with my cards or coins? Perhaps you mean how profecient I am? I agree to the extent that you need to perform good enough that you don't need to think about the moves you are doing, but that doesn't mean perform without emotion!

Emotion makes the most powerful of performances!
I agree with William here, you lost me.

Sep 3, 2007
Sorry guys. Unfortunately, I was trying to focus on sensitivity of technique. Not the sensitivity of the mind. (Sensitivity of the mind causes moderators to ban you).

As an example. The double lift. So many perform it and only few perform it with a light sensitive nature. And they usually get it right. By being light.

Thoughts?

Yeah, anyone with a bad DL will cry rivers.

Peace.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results