Should I submit this or not?

Sep 23, 2008
Selma, NC
I made an effect, which I call "Signed and Sealed"
The effect is this: I borrow a coin from someone and they sign it. I show a completly empty, and ungimmicked ziploc bag. Then I take their coin, hold it at the middle of the bag and instantly penetrates it. Everything can be examined. I'll try to get a video up as soon as can find a camera

Sep 23, 2008
Selma, NC
Thankyou

thanx a lot for the compliments. And william, I think I will wait. I have one other effect, unfortunetly it is very similar to "Autograph" by justin miller, and "Autograph" came out about a week after I made my effect. Thankyou for the compliments and ideas

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Keep it! Wait until you have 3-5 nice effects and do a DVD like Garcia did with Symphony. You'll probably have much more success. Make sure you have done your homework though and give credit where credit is due.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
There is a 70-80% chance that this either already on the market or that somebody else is planning to release it.

Also I wouldn't release it just yet, it is most likely flawed and needs a lot of tweaking. The majority of magic creators out there tend not to release effects till maybe a few years after performing them. Hell, some might not release something till 20 years down the line.

Dec 14, 2007
1) signed and sealed is way overused as a title. bad choice as there will be product confusion

2) Adam Rubin (who now writes for Magic Magazine) developed some very interesting coin and ziplock work back in the 90's. Seek out what he did before you release yours.

Brad Henderson

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Is not necesary to test the effect some years to know the reactions and subtetlies (spell check)...as justin miller said in a podcast, once you are sometime in this, you´ll know if this is going to work or if is practical enough.

the best way to know if this is practical or if is going to work is if you think of the effect as other magician work and then what would you ask him about the trick, what he missed or what he should have done, what is the main flaw of the effect, self-criticism is hard to do sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
justin miller said in a podcast, once you are sometime in this, you´ll know if this is going to work or if is practical enough.

You know, I've got a problem with this quote. I think it's a little bit -too- arrogent, and relies way to much on ones own personal skills.

While he's got a general idea lost inside that statement that I do think rings true: Once you've performed enough times, for enough people, and have performed enough range of diffrent material then sure, some times you can objectivly say that X thing will work while X thing won't. But you can't (and shouldn't) wrap, sack, and sell a product based on that alone.

I think you should test run any new material before putting it out there. For christ sake look at Alpha Cards. There's a $20 dollar waste of money. Just becauses you -can- doesn't mean you -should-.

Just my two cents.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
You know, I've got a problem with this quote. I think it's a little bit -too- arrogent, and relies way to much on ones own personal skills.

While he's got a general idea lost inside that statement that I do think rings true: Once you've performed enough times, for enough people, and have performed enough range of diffrent material then sure, some times you can objectivly say that X thing will work while X thing won't. But you can't (and shouldn't) wrap, sack, and sell a product based on that alone.

I think you should test run any new material before putting it out there. For christ sake look at Alpha Cards. There's a $20 dollar waste of money. Just becauses you -can- doesn't mean you -should-.

Just my two cents.

This was a minor misunderstanding:
By quoting Justin Miller is somehow to tell that sometimes you create a trick and in little time you know if is gonna be awesome or one of those tricks of So what?!! if you think is good then you work on it and perfect it, but if is bad then you pullback or re-think it or discard it. That´s what I think he was trying to say

Of course you have to test all the new material before putting it out there, I´m not saying that you should put all your new material before testing it, but before testing your new trick you have to ask yourself: is this a good trick?

sometimes is difficult to discard a trick you created because somehow is your baby, you created it and you worked on it, but if this is a bad trick, then get rid of it or improve it

I hope that clears things up, because I think we are on the same line

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
As someone who is around magic most of the time and as an employee of a magic company I would say this....

If you have to ask, then maybe you aren't ready to publish anything yet.

Hope this helps,

Katie

Jun 22, 2009
As someone who is around magic most of the time and as an employee of a magic company I would say this....

If you have to ask, then maybe you aren't ready to publish anything yet.

Hope this helps,

Katie

Spot on. You shouldn't have to ask if the effect is good enough to market.

Just my two cents.

I also think this statement can be taken out of context. As a designer in magic as myself I have a sense if a certain method will work or not, should I pursue it or should I leave it for a later date to spend more time on developement. Needless to say you'll never really know till you've actually field tested it but you can have the experience in having a general idea as to wether your wasting your time or are you on to something. Some people may not know this but I have been developing magic for the past 8 years and those of you that know me know I know what I'm talking about I've taken awesome ideas and tested them to be complete failures and not so good ideas to grow into something thats a true miracle to the audience. Either way experience in what I call "Magic Engineering", gives you a starting place to begin with.

Katies right you WILL know the time to release if thats what the road you feel you want to take but you won't need to ask you'll just know.

Shane.

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com

Just my two cents.

No arrogance at all. I have just learned and honed a skill set of reading situations and peeps (not the delicious, marshmallow kind i'm still confused on those). i purposely go out and watch people in EVERY KIND of situation I can possibly find. If you watch closely and keep your mind fresh you can learn a ton.

So knowing those situations I then can present a trick that will fit that situation based on the sleights ,presentation, and so forth. And because of my training in this field I can then get precise feedback on if the trick is good enough to market or if I should step back from it and put it on the back burner of my mind for a later date or the last option get rid of it all together. So I am not relying purely on skill and me I am relying on the facts presented to me through data collecting, and some me.
JM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results