Should you get BeLieve?

After my first truly succesful performance of Joel Paschall's BeLieve ten minutes ago, I have decided that the effect is, in fact, the perfect opener. (Even without all the philosophical mumbo jumbo, fun as that may be. It depends on your spectator.) Plus, I don't have to worry about it out-competing other tricks I have learned from the Bucks and Mr. Kenner. Though it is starkly visual and is the best card switch seen by this author to date, it is fairly simple at heart and thus can be properly followed with more complex effects.

The central theme here is versatility. Joel teaches a variety of specific sleights to use when performing, but there's any number of combinations of other sleights you could pair with the basic concept. (Any intermediate cardister might know a dozen sleights that would fit.) In fact, one can come to the trick and improvise (on the spot, while performing) a series of sleights to set up the final tearing and revelation.

The "central concept" I've been referring to deserves more elaboration. It is fairly easy to do during magic practice time, but in the actual performance it's a little more knacky; though it's simple to preform the technical moves, you must control your audience, making sure they don't screw something up. You'll have to try this one a few times before really getting it down with spectators.

Here's why BeLieve is such a good deal: the awe and confusion subjects experience can be easily continued into the next bit of your routine. The basic nature of what happens (something completely unexpected) takes them off their guard and murders their original expectations regarding "card tricks". It's the perfect framework on which to give them moments that they can truly enjoy, granted that you are really performing for their benefit.

But I have a caveat: This trick will only satisfy real performers yearning to create a solid routine for real people to experience. It won't be much fun for midnight Theory11 surfers and bedroom flourishcians. All they will be left with is a bunch of torn cards in the rubbish bin, but when you go out and give the moment to real people, I think you'll consider the $20 a rather nominal fee.

Ten out of ten.

Jan 18, 2009
Well, I believe there are many better effects that require you to destroy cards and never thought the perfect opener would require you to actually destroy cards in the beginning.

Believe isn't bad but I don't mind destorying cards but only if the payoff is equal or better and there are others that have a much better payoff.

I was highlighting how this effect is a great opener, not how it is better than other effects that involve torn cards. Also, in my experience the cost of losing a card is completely negligible in light of the benefits of this effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 18, 2009
I was comparing your like of Believe to other effects that are similar. I never said you were but you said that ripping the card is fine if you want to see the reactions. From what I have witnessed is that it is great and a good price if you put the time in it but if you have two seconds of setup then there are two great effects that I can think of that do destory cards.

Imo an opener doesn't leave you two cards less in your deck. Openers would be great effects that blow away an audience quickly and without any destruction.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Here's why BeLieve is such a good deal: the awe and confusion subjects experience can be easily continued into the next bit of your routine. The basic nature of what happens (something completely unexpected) takes them off their guard and murders their original expectations regarding "card tricks".

I don't own BeLieve, but I did feel it was necessary to briefly mention my support for this particular idea, which I think you've hit on the head. This is something I strive for in relation to my card magic as well - and my card opener is structured exactly to achieve this goal. It's a trick that uses cards, but it's far more than any mere card trick.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
aaron delongs effect is a mental effect aka predictions etc.

Believe from joel is a great effect that i use all the time but I usually use it as a closer to an acr or something. I personally have a good (imo) multi phase acr and alternate between closing effects such as card to wallet, shoe, etc. or like i said, believe. I like the psychological justification for opening with this but it seems impractical just b/c it leaves the deck dirty and pretty much useless for an immediate follow up. Sure some simple palming would get rid of the dirt but it seems overkill to me.

If you have a way to transition from believe to other effects plz pm as I would love to hear your ideas

Well, if you have a non-card trick for your next effect, that solves the problem. That is an issue, though; I'll have to think and see if there' s a way to transition straight into a new card trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results