Simple Card Trick to Teach A Friend

Mar 29, 2008
Wow - Tumbleweed, I expect you know me better through this forum. David Williamson used to call them the lay-bastards - and just like him - the word "enemy" is tongue in cheek.

We are at a mental "war" (again, not a real war but a battle of the thinkers) when we are out to FOOL someone. So, if you don't realize that the initial stage is YOU versus THEM - then the real problem is not my sentence that was taken at face value.

Seriously! In a not so serious concept - the audience is seen as the "enemy" - as they are trying to not be overtaken by your army of magic - or - they are trying to not be fooled by your tricks. We are trying to fool them - we plot and strategize just like we are going to war...mental warfare. However, give your head a shake if you were stupid enough to take that at face value...honestly. LOOK WHO THE POSTER IS!

Anyhow - although I don't consider a complete stranger kind enough to watch what I spend many years perfecting a "ENEMY" - and that accusation overshadowed my point - which was, when you start letting people in our "secrets" there is a problem with that...even though we all do it, the problem is that we are exposing and reminding them their is a method.

I don't think people will believe there is NO method - but teaching moves when you have just finished doing magic - is a reminder that what they saw...they just don't know the answer...rather than there is no answer.

Sort of goes against what many would believe creates a lasting impression. I guess there is a time and place - perhaps a certain person as well. Not just the one that begs to know.

Jan 6, 2009
it 's a real danger topic ...
to teach or not to teach is depend on you ....

i am not suppose to teach any magic to fd ...
if you teach him one...
they may try to figure out how ur trick work...
think it carefully ...

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I would reveal "jumping ring" trick, where you put their ring on your middle finger and it "magically" jumps on your first finger, and then back on your middle finger.
And then do the finish that Gregory Wilson does in his "On the spot" DVD.

Mar 29, 2008
I like the idea of teaching a "trick" to fool them with a different magic method to full them with what you just taught them.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Please read this:

I find it funny that magicians dismiss exposing key cards - when I am CERTAIN I could fool every single person in this forum with a key card trick. Teaching effects to people is a very dangerous concept - what do we reveal.

I agree with this. I have been using the key card principle today, and I blew absolutely everybody away (sorry if this sounds like bragging, I'm trying to get a point across). When people dismiss tricks because they're selfworking or simple, there's something wrong. Honestly, how many people use the key card here? And out of those that don't, why not? If this trick gets you less than average reactions, it isn't because of the trick, because this is tried and tested. If you don't use it because of bad reactions, that's your presentation, not the trick itself. I'm sorry for ranting, but I made the mistake of dismissing the simple old tricks like this for too long, and I really regret taking this long to discover my mistake. I don't want others to make this mistake as well.

Sep 1, 2007
I notice a lot of people talking about this in terms of black and white.

Consider instead the concept of selective information. No, I'm not just talking about key card trick that you feel like giving away. I'm talking about the human element.

Make of that what you will.

Sep 3, 2007
I agree with Morgician. When taken out of context, it might be seen as wrong. But it's an analogy. You get them to surrender intellectually and you just become friends!

What trick did you do Randomwrath?

And I'm not degrading the key card principle.

It's simplicity is it's worth. A good beginning point, but it's still a solid method. Just yesterday, I had a picky spectator who didn't take the classic force card so I just had her pick any card, glimpsed the one above it and later I used that to spread through the cards find it and controlled her card.

I think it's bad
that you think
I think that it's a bad trick
cuz that would mean that I'm just teach my friend a complete crap trick to get him to stop bugging me.

Which I'm not.

Steerpike, what you're saying is that it varies from person to person because people aren't just black and white, correct?

I agree.

I just opened this thread to see if anyone had any other suggestions of simple card tricks that would be good to teach someone.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I agree with Morgician. When taken out of context, it might be seen as wrong. But it's an analogy. You get them to surrender intellectually and you just become friends!

What trick did you do Randomwrath?

And I'm not degrading the key card principle.

It's simplicity is it's worth. A good beginning point, but it's still a solid method. Just yesterday, I had a picky spectator who didn't take the classic force card so I just had her pick any card, glimpsed the one above it and later I used that to spread through the cards find it and controlled her card.

I think it's bad
that you think
I think that it's a bad trick
cuz that would mean that I'm just teach my friend a complete crap trick to get him to stop bugging me.

Which I'm not.

Steerpike, what you're saying is that it varies from person to person because people aren't just black and white, correct?

I agree.

I just opened this thread to see if anyone had any other suggestions of simple card tricks that would be good to teach someone.

A version of Do as I Do, played up really big. Love it, works wonders.

Sep 3, 2007
I love Do as I Do!

How do you build it up?

I personally think that it's the best impromptu version-ish of the invisible deck.

If someone asks me to do something with their deck after doing a few pick a card tricks I usually pull out my deck and go into it.

Wow - Tumbleweed, I expect you know me better through this forum. David Williamson used to call them the lay-bastards - and just like him - the word "enemy" is tongue in cheek.

We are at a mental "war" (again, not a real war but a battle of the thinkers) when we are out to FOOL someone. So, if you don't realize that the initial stage is YOU versus THEM - then the real problem is not my sentence that was taken at face value.

Seriously! In a not so serious concept - the audience is seen as the "enemy" - as they are trying to not be overtaken by your army of magic - or - they are trying to not be fooled by your tricks. We are trying to fool them - we plot and strategize just like we are going to war...mental warfare. However, give your head a shake if you were stupid enough to take that at face value...honestly. LOOK WHO THE POSTER IS!

Anyhow - although I don't consider a complete stranger kind enough to watch what I spend many years perfecting a "ENEMY" - and that accusation overshadowed my point - which was, when you start letting people in our "secrets" there is a problem with that...even though we all do it, the problem is that we are exposing and reminding them their is a method.

I don't think people will believe there is NO method - but teaching moves when you have just finished doing magic - is a reminder that what they saw...they just don't know the answer...rather than there is no answer.

Sort of goes against what many would believe creates a lasting impression. I guess there is a time and place - perhaps a certain person as well. Not just the one that begs to know.

I feel flattered that you wrote that just for me, maybe you might just join toyrobot on the 'people who love me list'

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I love Do as I Do!

How do you build it up?

I personally think that it's the best impromptu version-ish of the invisible deck.

If someone asks me to do something with their deck after doing a few pick a card tricks I usually pull out my deck and go into it.

I use it as a demonstration of rapport, explaining that two people can often be 'in tune' with each other. Not particularly original, I know, but it works. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm thinking about using it as an opener, a good way of introducing myself to the spectator and making friends. I'm still playing around with it, to see if there's better patter that more suits me and my performance.

Sep 1, 2007
if you are a non mentalist, teach the simple one ahead trick.

Your carelessly exposing a method aside, is anybody here listening? The fact that you don't use a trick regularly makes it okay to teach it to any random schmuck? Are you all really that oblivious to anything outside of your tiny microcosm?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Personally if you were to teach someone an effect. I would explain to them that once they have this knowledge, they cannot ruin any effects you perform. Because it would be like running a good book somebody else was reading or running into a movie theater and explaining the ending to everybody there, after you've seen the film.

I can't say that the Key card principle should be exposed for whatever reason. Because there are a ton of great effects out there that use it. Vernon's "Emotional Reaction." uses it.. It really depends on the situation and the person. I'd suggest not exposing anything at all. Due to the fact that even if you showed them something you never use. They will see you perform and instantly think that you are using whatever method you just showed them. Thus becoming a huge pain in the ass.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Not sure if someone mentioned it already, but Out of this World is an easy one to teach (other than a key card).

Good god no! Out of this World is one of the best card effects out there. And you want to go on expose this to people. You do that you're just signing your own death warrant. Seriously. You might has pull a Masked Magician and just expose literally everything you do.

Sep 1, 2007
Your carelessly exposing a method aside, is anybody here listening? The fact that you don't use a trick regularly makes it okay to teach it to any random schmuck? Are you all really that oblivious to anything outside of your tiny microcosm?

Actually, as part of my presentation, I'll usually teach a trick or two during a full performance to give my audience an idea of how the human mind perceives things. I generally teach that Paul Harris sugar packet trick (as featured in David Blaine's book) or a key card trick. If someone came up to me and asked to see a trick, those two aren't really a part of my repertoire--that is to say, I don't use them on a regular basis--but they're good tricks and really demonstrate good magical thinking.

You teach them a "Key card" trick - well, now they know Key cards exist. I think key cards are a powerful weapon that I don't want the enemy to know about.

Just let the record show that after teaching a simple key card trick, I'll usually do "Do as I Do" and I always floor my audience. Just showing a person one possible application for a trick doesn't mean that the principle become useless. I once saw some footage of Penn and Teller in which they shamlessly (or rather quite humorously) expose the principle of card palming and then, ten minutes later, palm cards right in front of a spectator and completely fool them.

Sep 1, 2007
I once saw some footage of Penn and Teller in which they shamlessly (or rather quite humorously) expose the principle of card palming and then, ten minutes later, palm cards right in front of a spectator and completely fool them.

Can you tell me what the really big difference is between most of the teenagers here and Penn & Teller?

Sep 3, 2007
Randy: wouldn't a simple shuffle before while they are picking the card and an overhand shuffle control make a key card seem impossible to a layman?

and Out of This World is WAYY too good.

Ben Long: I agree that showing one application of the principle doesn't make all applications useless. You just have to be cleverer in how you use it.

Can you tell me what the really big difference is between most of the teenagers here and Penn & Teller?

Penn and Teller are entertaining. They don't have to worry about someone knowing the secret to one of their tricks. Just like with Derren Brown. He has an entertaining persona that the public loves.

?

Mar 29, 2008
I think one thing that people aren't getting is that they are teaching PRINCIPLES - even though they are used in effects that wouldn't be considered top notch.

The one ahead principle is used in many effects - from cards to coins. I agree that by adding layers of deception that it hides the method, regardless - this can't always be done.

I am really more concerned with the acknowledgement of "there is an answer" - as we all know that - but it's like admitting to a child there is no Santa. Once they are reminded that you are just doing "tricks" you might as well lower the boom.

Releasing a principle doesn't always hurt other effects related to that principle, but it can - and really why are you sharing an effect?

Remember the old adage - those who can't do...teach.

Sep 1, 2007
Penn and Teller are entertaining. They don't have to worry about someone knowing the secret to one of their tricks. Just like with Derren Brown. He has an entertaining persona that the public loves.

?

Getting warmer, but not quite there.

They are entertaining, which is more than can be said of some of the rabble here, but there's more to it than just that.

I am really more concerned with the acknowledgement of "there is an answer" - as we all know that - but it's like admitting to a child there is no Santa. Once they are reminded that you are just doing "tricks" you might as well lower the boom.

Symptomatic in my mind of the fact that most magicians are so bloody terrible at the craft that they decide to just lower the audience's standards to the point where they're already met.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results