Simple Card Trick to Teach A Friend

Sep 3, 2007
My friend asked me to teach him a card trick.

I was thinking a key card trick and if he gets really good at it Do as I Do.

Any other ideas?

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
Is he serious about magic...or does he just want to know one trick?

I might be wrong here, but in every magic book I read as a kid (consisted of Micky Mouse does magic and a Klutz book I got for christmas) it said the first rule of magic is to never tell anyone the secret....I would be very careful with this one. I hear if you break that rule Chris Kenner will find you and make you disappear.

May 4, 2008
NYC
don't teach him anything that requires a sleight...such as a double lift...which is used in 293178462785673647908598234 other effects.

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
Teaching vs Revealing

A dangerous subject.

I have people ask me all the time how a specific trick I do is accomplished...and if I can show them. I never do. At the most if they truely demonstrate they are interested...They have a deck of their own cards next time I see them, and they want to show me something...then showing them something simple like a Double Lift...and the fun and incredible things you can do with just that...or even a key card. But, pose the question to the person...What would you do with the knowledge? Are you going to go out and preform this trick if I show you it? A lot of the times just direct them to Barnes and Nobles. They have a huge section on tricks...that are...easy to the point of almost self working. If someone is picking up a book...expending their own time to learn something. Then in my opinion they should have access to that knowledge.

Treat each trick you own like it was a 1on1 you bought here that cost you at least 24.95. Would you show someone for free what cost you some cash to learn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i have this happen all the time, i just show them a key card trick.

like the impulse card.

then they think im going to do that, and i do stigmata

hahah

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
During a run of gigs thru december, Marc and I got quite a good relationship going with the bouncers at the venue.

There was one guy who wasn't so interested in the magic at all, he'd be patient and understand that everyone else enjoyed it, but wasn't into it himself.

One evening he took me to one side and asked if I could teach him something to show his kids, we showed him a very basic false transfer to vanish a coin for them. It was at that point that I caught that twinkle in his eye, like he was a kid again playing with this simple of simple magic trick.

From that point on, he was really receptive to the stuff we performed, I imagine i was thru creating that relationship and making him feel special. Now, I don't suggest going and teaching everyone coin vanishes, but in this instance it was a nice friendly thing to do and strengthened the relationship.

I'd take this kinda thing on an individual basis, assuming you know the person, it should be easy to guess what they want out of learning a magic trick, if not, just ask.

People have got to get started in magic one way or another, it could be that your friend is genuinely interested..I don't know, I'd just follow your instincts.

D.

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
icated

I never explain my tricks. But when I see someone is really dedicated I help them to start. Not by just teaching them but by suporting them. I try to lety them find theire own way into magic. But they can come to me for ideas and showing me a trick.

Jan 10, 2009
If you're going to teach him a card trick, teach him a simple self working trick. Otherwise, if you start teaching him sleight of hand and double lift when he is not serious about it, it will just spoil alot of tricks you show him, as he will draw up conclusions on how you did it. He will also keep saying, wait... "you have 2 cards there don't you?".

Mar 29, 2008
Please read this:

I find it funny that magicians dismiss exposing key cards - when I am CERTAIN I could fool every single person in this forum with a key card trick. Teaching effects to people is a very dangerous concept - what do we reveal.

Thing of it this way - remember the old trick where you have the "8 of clubs" and "9 of spades" then produce the "8 of spades" and "9 of clubs" - seems like no big deal to teach this, yet the concept leads to a certain knowledge of magic. This same knowledge could lead people to easily understand such effects like "Jumping Gemini".

You teach them a "Key card" trick - well, now they know Key cards exist. I think key cards are a powerful weapon that I don't want the enemy to know about.

I find it odd that people are okay teaching stuff they "don't do" because it won't effect magic..at least their magic.

So what do we teach them? I do see the benefits in sharing - but what we share has to allow them to enjoy magic, has to be easy to learn & can't expose too much.

Restated - it has to be strong enough they think it is neat, they can pick it up rather quickly, but the concept shouldn't open the door to expose other effects.

I like to teach something that they can go to Chapters and find in a book, your basic beginners book. This made me think of the ring on rubber band - or the "anti-gravity ring" where you put the ring on one end of the rubber band, and it looks like it moves up the band.

I don't think teaching magic to those that want to use it is a bad thing. However, I have been doing magic for over a decade - and anyone I have taught anything too has forgot it, like people do jokes - unless, they were a student of magic.

Saying that - I NOW use "I will teach you something" as a way to do "spectator does magic" like the "Shuffling Lesson" - I think found in the PH books - but I only teach to those that have something already, or straight out say - I want to learn magic...not just "a trick".

Anyhow - no wrong answer - but think about it.

May 3, 2008
Almost everyone in their life has seen or used the key card prinicple. it's taught in books and it's just common knowledge. Whenever laymen show ME a trick, they either do that or the 21 card trick. Telling them about it is not a big deal to me, even though I use it all the time. This is only because even though they know the idea behind it, they only know it in the context that it was taught (put it back in and now I'll pull out your card) and do not know how it can be applied to much stronger effects.

Sep 3, 2007
Ace to Z magic: lol he just wants to learn a card trick

JJM10: he is not serious at all, but he's a nice person and i figure he would put enough time into. i wanna meet chris kenner!

tomohamano: the only sleight that i would consider teaching someone for their first time is the glide, all the other ones they would probably get frustrated with

Ep1c.1ce: that's what i usually think about what would you do with the knowledge
what tricks are in barnes and noble my dad taught me the key card trick when I was a little kid for free he showed me the trick first and I don't think I was blown away but still it was cool

jok3r: yea that's what I was thinking, and if he gets really good I'll teach him Do as I Do same concept but even stronger

praetoritevomg: yea those who can't do teach!!

Deechristopher: interesting story, thanks for the advice

D21400: he is not seriously interested but neither was I when my dad taught me the key card trick i think it's a simple trick that anyone can do and i'll teach him to present it if he's still into magic after that then I'll do what you say and let him find his own path i don't want someone copying my style!

Andy Johnson: i agree a double lift would be very frustrating for him and a bunch of my tricks use double lifts

blahblah: yea ill take it seriously though the reason i wouldn't do that is cuz it would ruin the experience we would be come closer as friends cuz i taught him something just like when i asked my friend to teach me the soulja boy dance and he said just youtube it we could've had an awesome memory of me struggling with the dance but it was ruined by youtube lol

Morgician: I would love to see that trick!! PM me if you want to talk further
if a magician used a key card for someone who knew about key cards i think it would still fool them because
he would be able to glimpse the card in a more subtle way with his knowledge of misdirection
he would be able to incorporate false shuffle to further disguise the principles
he would hopefully have superior presentation skills
Chapters I'm assuming is a book store
I like Shuffling Lesson When I do it, I don't cut to the kings, I just completely mess up and then when they cut to the aces it's a different climax

drkrelements: i agree but i've only got the 21 card trick which coincidentally my mom taught me

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
Is he serious about magic...or does he just want to know one trick?

I might be wrong here, but in every magic book I read as a kid (consisted of Micky Mouse does magic and a Klutz book I got for christmas) it said the first rule of magic is to never tell anyone the secret....I would be very careful with this one. I hear if you break that rule Chris Kenner will find you and make you disappear.

hahhahhahaha chris kenner lol

Mar 18, 2008
i beleive that just about any trick with a key card is far better than any other including a sleight like a double lift... the glide i think is the best sleight you can teach a beginner without revealing any mayor secret.....

Sep 3, 2007
Tumbleweed: The spectator is seen as the enemy?

Ramo D.: I thought it was funny too!

Randy: I was actually thinking of using that trick as a joke explanation on why Vietnamese people don't like me. (the death card during the Vietnam War) But I also read Strong Magic and I really like that book.

AndarMagic: I agree. I remember someone saying that no matter how bad you do the glide you can get away with it. Maybe after he's past the key card, I'll teach him ColorChanging Aces from Mark Wilson's book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results