Smoke Applications

Hi people! :)

Right, it has taken me a while but i have finally taken the plunge and bought Smoke.

I do have my own need and use for it for my show that I am putting together, but I want to be able to use it after my show I am performing in Edinburgh.

So, what have other people done with the Smoke gimmick? I have seen it used in the portal trick and also as a card in mouth effect, but what else is out there that people have done? Any ideas would be brilliant!

Thanks,

Simon_Magic

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
This isn't item specific but more to do with how I work. . . have you thought about combining gimmicks?

I've coupled several versions of the smoke producing idea, most all working from the same foundation, so that I can replicate the phenomenon even when not in a proper performance mode; sometimes this is the famed Sharpie, sometimes a special close-up Pad and sometimes it's incorporating lots of aquarium hose but the variety of method is what allows us to throw our peers off as well. They might have seen you create smoke in one performance and assume that you used technique X but then they see you do the same trick with the smoke accent later, under different conditions and you employ technique Y . . . if they know the two methods then they will understand what you've done but likewise appreciate the forethought. If however, they aren't familiar with both methods, they will be just as blown away as the rest of the audience.

While many have given ill-thoughts when it comes to SSS from Shim Lim I find it quite practical for formal performance situations.

Just my two-cents.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm not familiar with Real Smoke in that it's a bit expensive but the method isn't as practical as what I understand Real Smoke to be ... portable, yes, but not something that's as clean as Real Smoke reads & demonstrates.

Most all of us know the basic technology behind these gimmicks, let's face it there are only 3 practical ways of creating this kind of effect without getting into A/B chemical combinations. I'm surprised there aren't more people exploiting this fact given how inexpensive the current and most practical system is. There's no heat, not much in way of bulk and it's more or less ready to do with one big exception; if you are a non-smoker you will want to purchase the non-nicotine cartridges from T-11 rather than those found in stores. To me this is only an issue if you must secretly suck in the smoke via your own mouth prior to initiating the effect.

I've actually thought about coupling the smoke vapor with an old dove production I used to do, may still do so if I take it to market.

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
I was actually thinking about buying SSS, but I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that it's so much cheaper than other smoke production products, anyone know why that might be? I know you have to construct the gimmick yourself, is this the only reason or is there some glaring difference between SSS and Pure that I'm missing?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I was actually thinking about buying SSS, but I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that it's so much cheaper than other smoke production products, anyone know why that might be? I know you have to construct the gimmick yourself, is this the only reason or is there some glaring difference between SSS and Pure that I'm missing?

You're buying materials and building everything yourself. From what I understand it's not difficult and a great deal. I have every intention of picking up SSS and building it into some projects I'm working on.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I purchased SSS for use in my Seance shows and it's perfect for that kind of situation. It is not "portable" in the sense of being able to move it around, though Shim does give you a method of sorts.

I may be putting out a "twist" to one of the commercial methods; while I mentioned it to the originators of the effect they seem to ignore anything old guys throw at them, so I'm going to give it a go. . . I've little other to do.

Aug 31, 2007
Smoke in any form, like any other type of magic, can be used very well and very poorly. It all depends on how you use it, and not 'over-doing' it.

As far as SMOKE goes (the t11 product specifically), I've seen people use it all differently. You can use the portal presentation, which is quite strong, or you could use the presentation Eric Jones popularized, pretending to make an invisible cigarette, and then puffing on it.

My personal favorite is to do coin and wand routines substituting the wand for the sharpie, and bringing the hand, with the coin seemingly inside, up to your mouth as if to blow on the coin, and letting the smoke pour out of your fist as the coin vanishes. Powerful shtuff, folks.

That's just my two cents - I'd be interested to hear the specifics of how you all present smoke effects, in any form. How do you perform it?

I know most use the portal routine in SMOKE, which has a magical presentation, but Craig, you intrigued me when you mentioned using it for Seances. Could you elaborate on that? Sounds awesome.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results