Smoke & Mirrors : A Cordial Invitation :: Friday, Aug. 1

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Just a tought:
Wouldnt twirly, swirly, thin-thick, artistic picaso court cards with redesined suits and numbers that would have 100 little lines and curles and dots and holes and whatnot, be a little confusing to the spectators?

"Now tell me, what was your card?" - Magician
"It was this water, roller coaster, waterloo, something, thingy...." - Spectator

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Just a tought:
Wouldnt twirly, swirly, thin-thick, artistic picaso court cards with redesined suits and numbers that would have 100 little lines and curles and dots and holes and whatnot, be a little confusing to the spectators?

"Now tell me, what was your card?" - Magician
"It was this water, roller coaster, waterloo, something, thingy...." - Spectator

I must have missed the meeting or something but... I thought the spectators were suppose to look at the FACES on the cards not the backs? Damn I must live under a rock.

Oh and the faces are normal... aren't they?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Well, several of Si Scott's designs work his signature flourish designs into more traditional shapes. If you go to his studio website you'll see several examples. For instance there is a swan design made up of a complex swirl design. I guess I was hoping for something more along those lines. I was convinced at one point that Si was completely re-designing the indexes of the cards, so my expectations were probably out of sight from the beginning. After looking at Si Scott's galleries I don't know how you could describe these cards as indicative of his "intricate" or "complex" pieces.

@Eddie: I was talking about something like this ^^...
If the cards looked like Chase described them (with completley redesined indexes), they may have been confusing to the spectators...

I dont know how to multi quote...

Apr 28, 2008
I kind of like them, they are very classy, i'll be picking up 3 of each. I would definitely prefer it if the swirling pattern on the back covered the whole of the card. Why the hell would I want DD on my cards?

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
I feel the design of deck doesn't flow so well, I mean, they have a very intricately designed ace of spades and back design, then the court cards are very simplistic, i think the design would be more fluent if the court cards matched the intricacy and design style of the rest of the deck. Juts my thoughts anyway.

as they say in France, "quelle dommage". ElisG i completely agree with u and every1 else who said that those 2 Ds just killed it. i think sum1 just posted it without them n they look 100 times better. well dun 2 u sir! go send them 2 dan n dave. dan n dave, why on earth did u not do ur market research. u get si scott 2 design one of the most artistic decks n u go n slap ur initials on it. wot has DD got 2 do with me, theyre just random letter on the back of my cards, wot wud i want that 4. big let down for something with so much promise.

Sep 1, 2007
Im surprised no T11 team member has posted ANYTHINg about the cards in this thread, after they were released.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I think some of you guys aren't yet getting the feeling that is being put across with these cards. These are reminiscent of a time gone by - a time when class and sophistication was important. Kind of like it was in Houdini's day. The tuxedoed and white-gloved magicians of the time really did make heavy use of smoke and mirrors. For most of the people viewing this site, class and sophistication is a foreign concept. Please - that's not a criticism of anyone! It's just our culture today. It's too bad, because I think that as performers, we could use some more sophistication and style. I'm not going to be running out to buy a pair of white gloves any time soon, but it doesn't all have to be "street", does it?

I was surprised by the design. That surprise led to an initial disappointment, because I was fully programmed and conditioned to expect a certain thing... yet another take on all the other decks that we're all used to seeing. And, I probably would have eaten it up just like everyone else would have. But, the longer I looked at the images, the more I was drawn into the concept of this deck. This is something different that might help shake my thinking free from some of the sameness that is taking over. They're a little bit retro. They're clean and classy, without being pretentious. And, instead of being "spooky" or "ferocious" like I was expecting, these give off a "fun" vibe. I think it's a refreshing change, and look forward to trying them out!

Dude. You summed my feelings up perfectly. I could not have put that better. I agree with what you said about sophistication, at least of that kind, in society today. It's the sort of elegance you see in Georg Jensen shops and what is typically considered "rich" people's domains, but it's not the money that puts products on that level, it's not people who put products on that level, it's the designs.

May 3, 2008
I love how the deck turned out actually. I wasn't too crazy about the D's on the back but it does look a bit abstract actually so I don't think too many spectator's would bring that up. I see that a lot of you are disappointed but I think that Dan and Dave did what they set out to do; they created a deck of cards that is unique and part of what makes them unique is that they're controversial and not everyone would like them. I like it that some people hate them cuz that's what'll set everyone apart. Take the E decks for example. Those cards look great and feel awesome which is why almost everyone I've seen has at least 1 of them that they will use because of it's style. But then that cheapens the whole thing because everyone has them and uses them and they are no longer different. If you performed for some spectators with an amazing looking deck of cards and then they see another person using them, not only will they see that you're not that different from the next person, but will also start to question the legitimancy of the deck cuz now in their eyes EVERY magician uses this deck of cards (trick deck perhaps?).I will enjoy using these cards because they look classy, probably feel amazing, and aren't generic everyday cards that you will see everyone else online or in real life using.

Jun 22, 2008
earth
I was thinking about the possible reasons for having the D's. Ego, that's all I can think it is. why the hell else would you put your own initials SO big on a deck of cards? cause you have a big fat head.

"look, look at MY cards, look here, see? those are mine and my brothers initials!"

why else?

"cause they look good when you finger spin them", big deal.

I'm not bothered about how they feel. there are many decks out there that feel great, eg. plain old bikes. they need to redesign these cards. just get rid of the ridiculously stupid double D's. I was looking forward to having a new style of card but not anymore. I like the bucks, but my opinion of them just took a vicious bashing.

oh yeah the court cards look like crap, they must really love yellow

I was thinking about the possible reasons for having the D's. Ego, that's all I can think it is. why the hell else would you put your own initials SO big on a deck of cards? cause you have a big fat head.

"look, look at MY cards, look here, see? those are mine and my brothers initials!"

why else?

"cause they look good when you finger spin them", big deal.

I'm not bothered about how they feel. there are many decks out there that feel great, eg. plain old bikes. they need to redesign these cards. just get rid of the ridiculously stupid double D's. I was looking forward to having a new style of card but not anymore. I like the bucks, but my opinion of them just took a vicious bashing.

oh yeah the court cards look like crap, they must really love yellow
I agree with everything you said.

Well from what I see is that DnD tried to make the most luxury cards ever made, and they did. I guess these cards are too high class for you guys. These cards are perfect for the working magician. You wear your suit, your watch, and you have these cards. Although if your a teen at home these aren't your type of cards. Oh and the thing with the spectators asking about the D's is nonsense. YOu guys are coming up with excuses to attack the deck. If somehow the specators say what do the d's stand for( and they really don't look like d's far away) then just say it's from the store I bought them from. Noone will chase you and say your a fony. So if you like the deck then buy it. If you don't then don't buy it.

Edit: one more thing. When you guys say you want something new and unique this is the deck. Basically what you guys really mean is that you want the same old design, and nothing different except maybe a few more lines and dots.

Apr 30, 2008
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I'm sorry, did I hear the words "Too High class"? I'll show you what "Too High Class" is in a few days ( and it won't be a photo of a jerry's nugget), I thought theory 11's goal was to shatter a perception that was once held on laymen about magicians, that they have top hats, tails, gloves and canes, would you want to be somebody like that? When your friends ask you to do a trick do you say: "Oh sorry, let me get my hat and gloves, give me about fifteen minutes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results