Soft Coins

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Heya, it's Anna, I have been diving a bit deeper into coin magic which I love. I am currently working on a 3 fly and have a question on soft coins. I have always just used regular coins not worrying if they were soft or not and that got me thinking.

What is a soft coin?
And…
How can I make a coin soft (if I even can)?

Can anyone help me out. Anything would be nice. Thanks everyone.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
Heya, it's Anna, I have been diving a bit deeper into coin magic which I love. I am currently working on a 3 fly and have a question on soft coins. I have always just used regular coins not worrying if they were soft or not and that got me thinking.

What is a soft coin?

a soft coin is an old silver coin , like walking half liberty, or morgan dollar, they don't make noise
you can buy some on ebay

the word "soft" doesn't mean the coin is soft, it is just mean the face of the coin is really wear out and smooth (generally due to circulation). So, when you rough 2 coins together they don't make noise. You can make your own soft coin, but it will take a long painful time. So, if you want to make soft coin, u know who to call.

Aug 17, 2010
Your best bet is probably a coin shop. Ask if they have any "slicks" (as collectors call them). Or if they have any "junk silver".

To soften coins, lay some wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface and move the coin in a figure 8. This is important, if you don't do the figure 8 you can end up with a concave surface like a lens (I think I read somewhere that this was a tip Vernon gave). I start with a fine grade paper and work down to extra fine. Then I use a 4 way nail buffer to finish off. I start on side 2 of the buffer (side 1 is too rough) and then side 3 and finally side 4 to finish.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Your best bet is probably a coin shop. Ask if they have any "slicks" (as collectors call them). Or if they have any "junk silver".

To soften coins, lay some wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface and move the coin in a figure 8. This is important, if you don't do the figure 8 you can end up with a concave surface like a lens (I think I read somewhere that this was a tip Vernon gave). I start with a fine grade paper and work down to extra fine. Then I use a 4 way nail buffer to finish off. I start on side 2 of the buffer (side 1 is too rough) and then side 3 and finally side 4 to finish.

I'm seriously too lazy for that but thank you very much for telling me. I might pop a 5 hour energy and get to work softening my coins (one day).

Tricky–Do you have softened 50 cent pieces? I will also check my local banks. Malibu is so stupid in the fact that we have 13 banks! There are barely any famous people here, it is just the name that makes everyone think we're all rich and need a billion dillion banks. (Not quoting Criss Angel from Magic in Jepordy :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seriously too lazy for that but thank you very much for telling me. I might pop a 5 hour energy and get to work softening my coins (one day).

Tricky–Do you have softened 5 cent pieces? I will also check my local banks. Malibu is so stupid in the fact that we have 13 banks! There are barely any famous people here, it is just the name that makes everyone think we're all rich and need a billion dillion banks. (Not quoting Criss Angel from Magic in Jepordy :p)

So far I only have dollar coins soften; I'm also in the process of making another 3 soft dollar set.

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
Another thing to note is that only coins with a decent amount of silver can be "softened". Clad coins are extremely hard to soften, so make sure you're coins are silver. For example 1964 Kennedy's, Walkers etc.

Soft coins are useful, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com

I've been meaning to get into making soft coins for a long time. I'm working on a basic 3 Fly routine and the sliding noise is killing me! Thanks for the tips J, I really do appreciate it. :)

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Just gonna throw it in for you guys. If you guys don't mind working with larger objects that is.
Lee Asher's Three Stylin' uses poker chips. Hence no need to worry about whole rubbing noises.
Also, he talks about few subtleties that sells the effect far better.
I would say it's worth looking into, if not getting it.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Just gonna throw it in for you guys. If you guys don't mind working with larger objects that is.
Lee Asher's Three Stylin' uses poker chips. Hence no need to worry about whole rubbing noises.
Also, he talks about few subtleties that sells the effect far better.
I would say it's worth looking into, if not getting it.

Thanks Ashrei, I'll check it out.

Jan 25, 2011
Cape Verde
Poconopenn:

Great--and disturbing--post. How do you know these coins are fake, apart from indications from the soft pouch? Or, are we at a point at which the coins themselves look authentic, but the packaging is all we have to go on to know whether the coin is authentic?

Pecus

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results