Stolen YouTube Magic, Death of Magic? Tutorial

Are you against YouTube Magic "Tutorial" videos?

• Yes, I would not like that to be watched on YouTube.

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No, I believe it fine to reveal a trick online and I think people do not do anything wrong there.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2009
Currently I am seeing many "magicians" start to make a lot of YouTube "tutorials." I would not be against it, if they posted their original tricks, but what they do, they take someone else's original content, basically steal it, and post it online. Have seen many of them Mismag822, Jarek Piece of Sh!t etc. I find these people do not even deserve to be mentioned. Every single trick is revealed, everyone can find invisible deck, triumph, there was Daniel's Garcia's effect Warning! it's revealed, even though it was DVD, which cost money. (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6gss2uOGs). So, there is a guy, who posted "Proposal Magic Trick." I liked that it was performance only and people like what they watched, no revelation. The second video was posted, money sniffing channel already revealed it (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5n0JN-hWs). So my question is what do you think? I personally think those people are hypocrites, which are attracted IMO by "lazy money YouTube AdThing", people simply steal other ideas and reveal them. For me it is +- fine if you watch video and actually USE TRICK AND SHOW IT, but e.g. in "Magic Proposal Trick" tutorial video, top of the comments were thanks to *** now I KNOW this trick, NOT I WILL PERFORM THIS TRICK. So I personally would like to keep magic out of YouTube, but alternative could be as with technology. Essentially everyone is able to take iPhone, look what's inside, what core's processor holds, screen stats, everyone is able to disassemble car and see how it was made and only way how you can keep technology to yourself is by hiding method in secret and using few people, who really know method. So I hope you see that I am strongly against that, but what are your thoughts, should they show magic, should they get 2 dollars per 1000 YouTube views by simply revealing method, where most people probably won't even try to show trick and put effort in it, should thieves steal other people's ideas and put them for free or maybe it is fine to reveal method and receive money for it and IMO slowly kill magic. Also important question, if we are against it, how can we destroy network, send Copyright Violation message, hack the channels,??? ? So what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
It is a tough question with a ton of different answers. I think revealing tricks on youtube has its pros and cons. For example, a good reason would be that if you are JUST getting into magic, you can learn some tricks on YouTube for free. I know when I first started out I was nervous to "purchase" a trick because I didn't know how exactly it worked. I wasn't sure if it was a one time thing where I download it and can only view it once or what. So I get that. BUT it also sucks because I hate it when people learn tricks online when they are not that good at the trick to begin with. So people who learn the trick are either learning it wrong or learn it badly. I have had so many other magicians just starting out ask me why I do a trick different from them. These are all my opinions and hopefully the amazing community will not destroy me for it lol.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
It's a love/hate relationship for me. It has it's pros and cons.

I think I remember reading an article by Lee Asher talking about this. It went along the lines of this: KFC's chicken recipe is something that is closely guarded and they take their secret recipe very seriously BUT if you looked online you could easily see and find out what the recipe for their chicken is, although who here actually knows what the recipe actually is? Exactly, you probably don't know. Same thing here, the majority of laymen wont watch tutorial videos simply because they dont want to know and if they do want to know they wont actually take the time to look it up. Tutorials are really just for magicians and if magicians or learning magic then I dont think it's fair to call it "The Death Of Magic", that's a bit extreme.

And another point, even if a laymen were to see and watch a tutorial for a popular magic trick, it's not all that bad. Wayne Houchin continuously performs his famous Sinful effect and even though most of us know how that trick is done he still fools magicians that have been performing that same effect for years. It's not the end of the world and in no way "The Death Of Magic" Magic is more powerful than it has ever been. People that think that way are focusing too much on only the negative. It's all alright.

Oct 26, 2009
Let's assume what you said is true. "Tutorials are really just for magicians..." "they dont want to know(laymen)" James1Wise. E.g. "Kissing trick"(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWI9JJqU8U&list=TLYCEv3dhz3qfFNKOfwKb3D9hhMVUmrUIt) , as I was watching it 613,398 views. Let's say all 613,398 views are NOT UNIQUE and video was watched by each person 2 times. 613,398/2=306699. 306699 "Tutorials are really just for magicians...". So all 306699, who learned trick were magicians, pretty devastating to me, it seems magicians soon are going to be paid less than cashier, but in all seriousness. As I was performing trick for few people 1st person said - "So, will you tell me how it's done or will I have to google it?" I said: "Go ahead." and 2nd encounter "Can I see how it's done on YouTube?" I said: "Maybe something you can, but not so great stuff there." So that happened very quickly,until this(2013) NO-ONE has ever said anything similar to it, so it worries me a bit. My point is IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR 306699 MAGICIANS TO WATCH 1 SINGLE VIDEO TUTORIAL and people, who are watching tutorial are DEFINITELY not all magicians(many laymen) and not putting effort into it to perform it. As our technology advances and information, becomes widespread there will be information on the internet about EVERY generic trick, and it is not just tricks, it's technology information, information from different fields, I saw similar idea for journalism(e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1tBVosNlDU). How many times have your spectators not wanted to know how trick is done, for me e.g., I think it has never happened and laymen actually at least want to know HOW it was done, not whether they can do it, but I still stick to my point that slowly it will be more difficult to perform tricks for technologically advanced people.

Also venom546
Quick story how I got into magic. Friend was showing me riffle shuffle. Every single time I saw him riffle shuffle deck I was astonished. Showed some super easy tricks, simple card tricks, blew my mind. In school a guy knew trick with 3 jacks, super simple, like "world fastest magic trick" where suits actually switch. Asked to tell me how it's done, did not tell me for like 3 months. I found deck of cards and was ****!ing with cards around, basically doing nothing for 3 months and somehow came up with trick where you reverse bottom card card and make it seem like top of the deck. So bottom line - I struggled 3 months, and once guy showed me Jack trick, which he showed me like 20 times, despite rule "never show trick twice", I was astounded every time out of 20 and had 0 clues how it's done. So, for many magicians imo - getting into magic - difficult, for me it was 3 months of struggle and until I discovered my 1st DVD, for other people now - easy, if they find tutorial on youtube. "We value what is difficult to get." People don't value easy to get YouTube information, so they are less likely to stick to magic, because it was easy for them to get into it. IMO.

But main point thanks for ideas members, happy to hear you care about this topic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results