"Street" Magic

Ahhhh... one of my favorite threads. Oh! And nice to see you back Steerpike. Let me start off by saying that yes, those youtube skilled magicians to exist. I agree on that topic. But I also agree that they are rare. But to prove that they do exist check out these videos I have found...

This first one prove how chilidish kids can be. and proves the point about youtubish magicians. I am surprised this lady even agreed to see an effect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3wIBxtxIo

This one is little bit better but some more practice would be nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IH0wFdPE9o
(Sorry is either of these people are on this site...)

These sufficient;ly prove Steerpikes point however I do agree that they are rare. Most are too scared to talk to random people.

The second part of this post I will explain to you the difference between youtubish kids doing magic and a skilled "Street Magician". so let's start off at the easiest part. Approaching people.

APROACHING...

A skilled street magician or at least an okay one (take me as example) woill approach someone casually and strike up a quick conversation or trick them by asking if they could help you. Luring them intoyour clutches and into the magic world. Basically, we are sneaky as all hell. However, that "youtuber" is going to do something stupid when approaching people by saying something like "Hey! Let me show you a trick!" There is one main difference between us here is that a skilled magician will get rejected once twice or three time out of ten. A Youtuber will get reject nine or ten times out of ten.

TRICKS...

A skilled magician might only know 3 or 4 tricks. But that's al he needs to build a crowd , get them going, and entertain. he has also practiced these 4 tricks constantly to the point where there is only a slight chance for mistake. A "Youtuber" may know anywhere from 15 to 75 tricks, but none of them have been well rehearsed or practiced making them look corny and unreal. Look at the double lifts in the second video for example. Not so good. you only need a few great, well practiced effects.

PRESENTATION AND PATTER...

A skilled magician will have a well rehearsed and scripted storyline or speach that accompanies the trick. This aids to the reality, entertainment, and fun of the trick. It will not slow the magician down but simply make him look better. I think that even David Blaine has issues with his patter. A good magician wil also be able to improvise patter if needed. The Youtuber will often make up something as he goes and have no idea what he is saying or he'll point out something obvious like: "Hey! did you see that??? The card is on top" or "Okay so this card is in the middle and stuff but it like come back again?" Not good. Refer to video 1 for this. They are completely foolish.

Those are my thoughts,
Dylan P.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Ahhhh... one of my favorite threads. Oh! And nice to see you back Steerpike. Let me start off by saying that yes, those youtube skilled magicians to exist. I agree on that topic. But I also agree that they are rare. But to prove that they do exist check out these videos I have found...

This first one prove how chilidish kids can be. and proves the point about youtubish magicians. I am surprised this lady even agreed to see an effect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3wIBxtxIo

This one is little bit better but some more practice would be nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IH0wFdPE9o

These sufficient;ly prove Steerpikes point however I do agree that they are rare. Most are too scared to talk to random people.
oh man those videos were terrible. especially the first one.i hate it when a 12 year old "magician" comes up to you when you are doing something and demands to show you a trick. the second guy definitely needs to work on presentation and how to do magic.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
oh man those videos were terrible. especially the first one.i hate it when a 12 year old "magician" comes up to you when you are doing something and demands to show you a trick. the second guy definitely needs to work on presentation and how to do magic.

Thats also a setback to being a kid magician..your a kid.
No one is going to take you seriously and if your one of those rare ones that actually know the important points of performing magic your still looked down at.
And if your 12 or so and try to perform noncommercial tricks or more "mature" effects like say..exile or ,even more intense, control then it just doesnt look right..

P.S.The guy in the second vid with the short hair needs some techical work in his magic.I didnt watch the whole vid but it was too many card effects for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Thats also a setback to being a kid magician..your a kid.
No one is going to take you seriously and if your one of those rare ones that actually know the important points of performing magic your still looked down at.

Typically. But a properly framed performance can lend some much needed credibility to the proceedings.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Actually most pro's don't perform street magic. Maybe when they are filming a DVD but really you're more likely to take a guy seriously when has somebody there with an expensive camera and is actually mature and good at what he does.

I know that Wayne Houchin says that when he is drumming up business for his stage shows he tends to perform at the Market place or something. But other than that, most guys don't.

Really the better thing to do is to perform with your friends at an outdoor mall, just relaxing and people will come because of the reactions your friends are doing. It will look less creepy and stupid.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK

Sorry i just could not watch those till the end. Brings back the image of the masked "magician".

Loving this thread by the way, loads of good info.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I have performed Street Magic. It's not something I do alot, but every now and then I'll go out and meet random people and do a few performances for them, usually I'll work up a crowd.

(YAY!!! 400th post!!!!!)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results