"Street" Magic

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
But I find it more weirder if you approach a group of people, that have never seen you before, and don't know who you are, and just trying to talk to them, asking them questions... Maybe it's just me.

I mean, if I was with my girlfriend, and some random guy comes and introduce himself, and start all these questions, and trying to start a conversation, it would be awkward to me and my girl...

Absolutely it can be very awkward. I guess it's just a balance between not being too matter of fact, but also not being too intrusive or too open/weird to the point of wanting to know everything about the person. But then again if you think about it, walking up to people and spreading a deck of cards is awkward too.

And that moment when you're saying, pick a card, your new spectators couldn't care less whether you forced it or not, or whether the deck is gimmicked or not, but internally, they're judging you anyway. They'll look at you and they'll have a thought about you. If you think about it, that's what I'd be doing if I were approached by a magician. So it's good to give a little hint of who you are and how you are as a person, I think.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
No, actually. That's called interacting with society and it happens everyday. People talk to each other, it's how communication works. You don't just "have" all your friends one day - you first have to talk to them, meet them. It's how you meet people in high school, in the neighborhood, in bars, at work.

Especially if I'm just hanging out, relaxing at coffee shop. What a perfect time to meet some new people! I've got time on my hands to sit and enjoy some heavily sugared coffee (or some odd java cocktail if you're at Starbucks), and the atmosphere is pretty mellow.

So, basically, you just go over at a table, with two or three people that are hanging out, and just say something like: "Hey, my name is *toyrobot*, whats up with you?" or "I heard you talk about nuclear physics, and i have an interesting theory... "

Don't get me wrong, but i just want to know how it goes. Because i never done that, or did that ever happened to me, or anyone that i know. And i hang out in coffee places every single day, and never heard of such "event".

This is pretty interesting topic in my opinion.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Absolutely it can be very awkward. I guess it's just a balance between not being too matter of fact, but also not being too intrusive or too open/weird to the point of wanting to know everything about the person. But then again if you think about it, walking up to people and spreading a deck of cards is awkward too.

And that moment when you're saying, pick a card, your new spectators couldn't care less whether you forced it or not, or whether the deck is gimmicked or not, but internally, they're judging you anyway. They'll look at you and they'll have a thought about you. If you think about it, that's what I'd be doing if I were approached by a magician. So it's good to give a little hint of who you are and how you are as a person, I think.

But, with a deck of cards, at least you have a reason for approach. Even if they judge you, and think whatnot.
And I'm ok with approach where you tell them that you are a magician, but you want to get to know them first... or something along those lines.
But i think that people will judge me even more, if i just approach to hang out with them. They will think that i'm a weirdo, and that i have no friends, or something like that...

Maybe I'm not pointing out my point in the right way, but don't forget that English is not my native language, so i have a little struggle ;)

Dec 10, 2007
Slovenia (Europe)
I read some replies about approaching people in coffe shops anf got a fun idea.

"Hello, my friends just left because of something I did, can I sit here for a few minutes?"

You talk, you talk, and then you show them why they left (Thread would go in the context.)

-Seb

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
But, with a deck of cards, at least you have a reason for approach. Even if they judge you, and think whatnot.
And I'm ok with approach where you tell them that you are a magician, but you want to get to know them first... or something along those lines.
But i think that people will judge me even more, if i just approach to hang out with them. They will think that i'm a weirdo, and that i have no friends, or something like that...

Maybe I'm not pointing out my point in the right way, but don't forget that English is not my native language, so i have a little struggle ;)

Well,you know how David B. walks up to strangers and performs for people on the fly?Before anybody knew.He got rejected a number of times even with a camera so something like that is always going to happen.He just doesnt care if they think he's strange..

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Well,you know how David B. walks up to strangers and performs for people on the fly?Before anybody knew.He got rejected a number of times even with a camera so something like that is always going to happen.He just doesnt care if they think he's strange..

Yes, but he always says "Hey, can i show you something?" right away. He is not approaching them to be their friend...

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
ive to agree with dylan. I'm heavily influenced by dannyG's style of going up to people in the DG projects. His style comes across as friendly and if he gets rejected, its not his problem.

Sep 1, 2007
So I'm sitting down at the patio outside of a Panera Bread. I'm sipping my tea and reading a book I just bought not more than a half-hour ago. It's a beautiful day out, and I'm enjoying it.

Suddenly, this teenager comes up to me with an introduction like we're old buddies. But there's this furtiveness about him that clearly communicates to me that he wants something. The first thing that crosses my mind is, "How do I get rid of this clown?"

While I'm being polite and trying to think of a way to get back to my reading, he pulls out a deck of cards and proceeds to do a generic ACR.

Why won't he let me read my book in peace?

May 19, 2008
manchester
So I'm sitting down at the patio outside of a Panera Bread. I'm sipping my tea and reading a book I just bought not more than a half-hour ago. It's a beautiful day out, and I'm enjoying it.

Suddenly, this teenager comes up to me with an introduction like we're old buddies. But there's this furtiveness about him that clearly communicates to me that he wants something. The first thing that crosses my mind is, "How do I get rid of this clown?"

While I'm being polite and trying to think of a way to get back to my reading, he pulls out a deck of cards and proceeds to do a generic ACR.

you WILL be astonished damn it. cant you people see im a magician? cant you see that you WANT to be entertained? do I HAVE to spell it out for you? damn it. :rolleyes:

ha ha, the teenager "magician" obviously isn't very good at seeing if someones doing something or not.

But street magic CAN work, most people just cant do it, or something? lots of people are deluding themselves if they think people want to be stopped by strangers to be shown the latest and greatest card trick they learnt 5 minutes ago.

why dont you try busking? and doing something in a coffee shop might seem a little strange unless you present it like your just playing cards... go into a story of gambling (maybe 2 card Monte) and show them, but please please please don't go up to people and say "hey do you wanna see a magic trick?"

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA

Panera Bread serves food? Like a restaurant? I honest to goodness thought it was only a bakery - like, you go in, pick up stuff, and leave.

Anyway, this is what happens when you pick the wrong person at the wrong time. And here, I'm talking about striking up a conversation, not doing magic to someone. You don't bother people who are actively engaged (you make an exception for if they're talking, because you're going to go talk to them.)

You can tell if people are trying to politely get rid of you or if they really want to talk.

So, basically, you just go over at a table, with two or three people that are hanging out, and just say something like: "Hey, my name is *toyrobot*, whats up with you?" or "I heard you talk about nuclear physics, and i have an interesting theory... "

Don't get me wrong, but i just want to know how it goes. Because i never done that, or did that ever happened to me, or anyone that i know. And i hang out in coffee places every single day, and never heard of such "event".

This is pretty interesting topic in my opinion.

This might be a bad example, but ever watch the Pick-Up Artist? One of fundamental skills they teach them is approaching a group and talking to them. It works in the right situation with the right group. I'm not going to go to someone and say, "Hey, what's up?" and leave the conversation at that. I have to bring something to it and let them know why I'm talking to them. Shared experiences are a good way. I've struck up conversations with strangers about rude servers at a food stand, about music at a concert, with a coworker I really didn't know or talk to but happened to catch out at the mall, talking to a group of strangers I found out role-plays, meeting my best friend (who actually started talking to me) at a hobby store, dozens of people when I was back in high school, and dozens more at a computer cafe / gaming store type place. Etcetera. If you're in a certain place and can talk to people about that place, it helps.

You don't talk to people who look busy - reading, wrestling with their kid, on their cell phone. You find people in a social environment who look like they're having fun. Try starting a conversation about something. If it sticks, you can tell, and have fun meeting this person. If they don't want to talk, you can also tell, and you can excuse yourself and head out. (Just whatever you do, don't talk to Steerpike if you happen to meet him somewhere, because his mean-ness is legendary and he will make you cry)

Second example: "I heard you talk about nuclear physics, and I have an interesting theory..."

The above rules apply, but sure. You're talking to someone about something they're interested in, it's bound to at least hook them. You just need charisma and the ability to hold a conversation

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
The above rules apply, but sure. You're talking to someone about something they're interested in, it's bound to at least hook them. You just need charisma and the ability to hold a conversation

Yeah, I understand now...
I mean, I understand that in a library I can star the conversation about some book, in a hobby store about D&D, in armor shop about grenade launcher...
But when you see a group of people in the bar or coffee place, what is your opening line?

I have a charisma and can keep a conversation going, once the conversation starts. But how to start it, when there is nothing you can grab onto?

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
Sorry for the late reply. But to respond to some of the questions relating to how to get the conversation going and all, I would have to say this: pick your audiences carefully. Try not to approach people deeply engaged in conversation or doing proper work. It would be best to approach a group which looks like they're lazing around and just chilling. It would be too intrusive otherwise.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

How would a laymen know what a generic ACR routine is?
An ACR in general.most people havent even seen an ACR.
Not a lot of magicians go out and do 'street' magic.Especially those teenagers you speak of.If you notice most are too scared and only perform for friends at school.There are very few performance videos of 'street' magic.

(Suddenly, this teenager comes up to me with an introduction like we're old buddies.)
How do you know that those few actually go up to people and talk that way?
Many here have said that the spectators approach them.

Sep 1, 2007
How would a laymen know what a generic ACR routine is?
An ACR in general.most people havent even seen an ACR.

Nothing worth reading past this point.

I hate it that everybody here seems to assume that the rest of the world is dumber than them and they never bother looking for subtext.

I really do not think this thread should end so abruptly. It has been a week maybe new opinions have popped up.

I really think the class of magic that we all now call street magic is really walkaround and street magic is busking. IDK times have changed but that is what I think.

The young (teen?) artist stalking innocent people only to harrass them with YouTube quality card and coin tricks almost seems to be a rare occasion, if not out right fantasy.

I admit to having done my fair share of showing off if out with friends or I need to make an impression but I try to limit this to a minimum. As a rule I -rarely- perform any of my "A" material for no pay.

As for the art of bursking which is the real (IMO) art of street magic, that stuff can be hard if you don't know how to work a ballet, turn, tip, hatline and blowoff.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
The young (teen?) artist stalking innocent people only to harrass them with YouTube quality card and coin tricks almost seems to be a rare occasion, if not out right fantasy.

I admit to having done my fair share of showing off if out with friends or I need to make an impression but I try to limit this to a minimum. As a rule I -rarely- perform any of my "A" material for no pay.

As for the art of bursking which is the real (IMO) art of street magic, that stuff can be hard if you don't know how to work a ballet, turn, tip, hatline and blowoff.

Exactly
Everyone thinks that the youtube kids are going out and doing this 'street' magic but I have yet to see this.That craze about them buying street magic tricks was just so they could perform it in front of a camera at home.
The few who i have seen out on the streets are better performers and mch more subtle in their approach.And even then,they dont perform constantly in the streets.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results