"Street" Magic

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Now,alot of people are of the opinion that this genre of magic doesnt really exist.
And I agree.Wayne has discussed this on a previous daily update
My question is if any of you actually try or have done 'street' magic.
And I mean without a camera.
I have and do close-up magic outside of paid gigs(I dont like saying 'street magic',it sounds pretentious to me)
But I dont really go up and just ask people to show them something,If I am at a mall or busy streetcorners I usually sit on a bench and either perform a small visual piece of magic with ordinary objects or loops or bring out a deck of cards and do simple flourishes.This gets attention quick.If I overhear them comment on what im doing or,even better,if they approach me,I start to perform for them and to me it seems more comfortable for them if they are intrigued beforehand instead of catching them offgaurd and just immediatley asking if they wanna see something.
So again,have any of you actually performed 'street' magic and if you do how?

Apr 28, 2008
I've never performed street magic and I don't plan to. I perform for people I meet in Coffee shops, bars, clubs, cafes etc. I like to know that the person really wants to see the magic and I like to have some time to try and get to know them a bit as well.

If i'm sitting round practicing flourishes and somebody seee me and asks to see something i'll happily do some magic for them, although I don't do this to get attention and make people come over. If you do want to perform 'Street magic' then getting people to come to you probably is the best approach.

I don't really know if Street magic can be considered a genre. I'd say it's more of a style or attitude, like the term Underground, I do perform a fairly 'modern' style of magic (I use a lot of effects by Dan and Dave, Chad Nelson, Daniel Madison etc) and I use flourishes but I see no need to call it Street magic, I just think of it as close up magic.

I also try and think how i'd react if somebody walked up to me on the street and tried to show me magic. To be honest I probably wouldn't be very receptive, I usually have other stuff on my mind and there's probably somewhere I need to be so it could be a little irritating. If I was sitting round somewhere with a group of friends then I wouldn't mind but if they just interrupted me when i'm walking along I probably wouldn't like it.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Me and Mental State always go out performing Street Magic, since the day we started and still do now, everytime we get a chance, we hit the streets and seek it.

Its been two and a half years more now since we started. Never had a problem with it. And this is without a camera as well, just two guys Seeking the Streets. Where ever theres people, we perform there. We would look around, observe, get the days mood, and spot out a few who are quite different from the most, gradually, when we perform, people gather. Then it becomes a challenge.

We would introduce ourselves as Magicians performing a genre of Magic which takes place on the Streets, rumour says its called Street Magic. We tell them we perform for free, no money needed. Just a bit of your time, and a bit of mine. We'll ask them if they want to parpticipate (we take turns of course), if they say yes to this strangeness, we roll and do our thing. If we get rejected (which happens a lot), we roll and do our thing.

We dont like to intrude in people's current business, thats why observation plays the important aspect. Once we found someone, we get to work. Only recently have we used cameras as our extra prop, we would ask if we could film it for something we're doing. If they say we can, we perform, if they dont, we still perform. People are curious. And its funny watching others from afar move closer to taste a bit of astonishment.

Street Magic is most challenging and spontaneous. Its fun. A very good way to kill nerves. But like the above said, you cant really call it a Genre, but can potentially become one in the future.

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
I do the exact same thing. I start off with a flourish to grab the attention of anyone watching, or who happen to be passing by. Every single person who is drawn in ALWAYS asks me if I do any magic (although, sometimes they ask if I play Poker). This process relieves a lot of tension and nervousness of having to walk up to a complete stranger, ask them to show them something, and potentially being turned down.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Now,alot of people are of the opinion that this genre of magic doesnt really exist.
And I agree.Wayne has discussed this on a previous daily update
My question is if any of you actually try or have done 'street' magic.
And I mean without a camera.
I have and do close-up magic outside of paid gigs(I dont like saying 'street magic',it sounds pretentious to me)
But I dont really go up and just ask people to show them something,If I am at a mall or busy streetcorners I usually sit on a bench and either perform a small visual piece of magic with ordinary objects or loops or bring out a deck of cards and do simple flourishes.This gets attention quick.If I overhear them comment on what im doing or,even better,if they approach me,I start to perform for them and to me it seems more comfortable for them if they are intrigued beforehand instead of catching them offgaurd and just immediatley asking if they wanna see something.
So again,have any of you actually performed 'street' magic and if you do how?

I do the exact same thing.

I find that it is more fulfilling to actually perform magic for spectators who are interested rather than randoms that you meet, but then again this is just personal experience.

As state by Derren Brown in Pure Effect, it is best to establish rapport with your audience prior to showing the actual effectm this can be established by either catching their attention first and then engaging in a brief conversation leading towards magic. By doing this I find it actually enhances your reactions compared to just a cold approach.

I love responding to threads like this one. You mention that all of us should try doing Street Magic without a camera. I have. It is no big deal really. I don't own a video camera or have a friend that does. So I always perform without the cameras or camera people. and you know what? It is just as easy...

Want to know the secret? Well, I'm a magician so I probably shouldn't...well, I'll break the magicians code just for you. The secret is the way you approach people. For example, I don't just run up to someone and go: "what up, son? I wanna show some sweet card tricks!" you have to be subtle and sneaky about it.

I originally got the idea from the preview of the Daniel Garcia Project. In it Danny says "Hey man, can you help me out for a second." (He already has his cards out but lowered to his side, out of sight.) The guy says: "What's up?" and Danny says " Can I just show something really quick" (and pulls out the cards and does a fancy little card dribble)

Now, in that video Danny got rejected but I was determined to see if that would really work in a real life situation. So, the next day I hit the mall. walked up to someone with my cards out, but out of sight as wel, and said: "Excuse me sir? Can you give me a hand really quickly?" He said yeah, probably thinking I needed the time or something. "Oh cool. Thanks." I said. "Can I just get you to grab out a card here." ( I spread the cards) He looked a bit off gaurd but he grabbed a card and I did an ACR. He freaked out and was really amazed and started getting people interested. I waited for the crowd to die out then I repeated the same patter in different areas of the mall. I did it all day until I had to go. If I remember right there were a total of 13 or 14 people I asked this question to and either 10 or 11 of them said sure to the trick.

It is all the way you present yourself. You see? I asked the guy if he could help me out realy quick because that was going to lure him into a false sense of security. Because, when a teenager wanders up to an adult in the mall and says "an you help me really quick?" The adult thinks one of two things.

1: "Oh. He needs to know where a store or Bathroom is"
2: "Oh he must need the time or something"

But, because you have lured them to you with an innocent little question it is now a lot easier to say: "Oh. thanks. My name is Dylan. And you? Oh. Bill? Okay, Bill can I get you to give me a hand and pick a card for me here?."

Names also build a solid foundation for people to become attached to you. That is why most of the time I introduce myself then I learn their names. It helps build a bond and then makes them feel compelled to watch your trick.

Try it. I have found that this usually works out great. You will get rejected sometimes but hey! You get rejected with a camera sometimes too.

Dylan P.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I love responding to threads like this one. You mention that all of us should try doing Street Magic without a camera. I have. It is no big deal really. I don't own a video camera or have a friend that does. So I always perform without the cameras or camera people. and you know what? It is just as easy...

Want to know the secret? Well, I'm a magician so I probably shouldn't...well, I'll break the magicians code just for you. The secret is the way you approach people. For example, I don't just run up to someone and go: "what up, son? I wanna show some sweet card tricks!" you have to be subtle and sneaky about it.

I originally got the idea from the preview of the Daniel Garcia Project. In it Danny says "Hey man, can you help me out for a second." (He already has his cards out but lowered to his side, out of sight.) The guy says: "What's up?" and Danny says " Can I just show something really quick" (and pulls out the cards and does a fancy little card dribble)

Now, in that video Danny got rejected but I was determined to see if that would really work in a real life situation. So, the next day I hit the mall. walked up to someone with my cards out, but out of sight as wel, and said: "Excuse me sir? Can you give me a hand really quickly?" He said yeah, probably thinking I needed the time or something. "Oh cool. Thanks." I said. "Can I just get you to grab out a card here." ( I spread the cards) He looked a bit off gaurd but he grabbed a card and I did an ACR. He freaked out and was really amazed and started getting people interested. I waited for the crowd to die out then I repeated the same patter in different areas of the mall. I did it all day until I had to go. If I remember right there were a total of 13 or 14 people I asked this question to and either 10 or 11 of them said sure to the trick.

It is all the way you present yourself. You see? I asked the guy if he could help me out realy quick because that was going to lure him into a false sense of security. Because, when a teenager wanders up to an adult in the mall and says "an you help me really quick?" The adult thinks one of two things.

1: "Oh. He needs to know where a store or Bathroom is"
2: "Oh he must need the time or something"

But, because you have lured them to you with an innocent little question it is now a lot easier to say: "Oh. thanks. My name is Dylan. And you? Oh. Bill? Okay, Bill can I get you to give me a hand and pick a card for me here?."

Names also build a solid foundation for people to become attached to you. That is why most of the time I introduce myself then I learn their names. It helps build a bond and then makes them feel compelled to watch your trick.

Try it. I have found that this usually works out great. You will get rejected sometimes but hey! You get rejected with a camera sometimes too.

Dylan P.

Glad you had some success. I want to get confident to the point where I can go up to people and perform in this case. However, I am not at this point. I do agree with Wayne on his daily update where I think I would prefer to go to a coffee shop and get peoples attention and then perfrom. But I want to work up my confidence to go up to random people and perform for them in this way.

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
I'm in Singapore so I'm not sure if this would apply elsewhere, but from my experience there are a couple of things to note when doing close-up street magic (assuming that we can properly call it a genre).

First, it would be best to keep your deck (or tools, props, etc) out of sight when approaching people. Start off with a conversation and gently lead into the topic of magic before asking if they would like to see something. I noticed that people are more receptive after you get the conversation going. Only after that then you whip your stuff out.

Second, be respectful. It is best to properly introduce oneself beforehand. Always be on the alert for the tension in the crowd, such as if they would like more or that it's enough and one should wrap up. It is best to start with something fast, striking, and visual. Normally they would ask if you could show them something else. That would get the ball rolling nicely.

Third, try to avoid going up to people on the move. It would be best to approach people loitering with nothing to do. In that way, one would not come across as pressing.

Fourth, always think of the patter beforehand. Only interesting patter could capture their attention and open up their acceptance. From my records, going up to someone asking if they would like to see a trick doesn't work (in Singapore).

That's just my two cents worth. Hope it helps. And oh, I do not have a camera with me too. But I do have a partner in crime. It helps in many ways.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I have done street magic once or twice without a camera, however I normally do exactly the same thing in school. I stay in the school library after school for a while (my mum's the librarian) most nights, and usually just wander around with a deck of cards in my hand, chatting to my mates etc. When I get a little bored, and when I see someone sitting there looking bored I usually just walk up to them, sit down at their table, and get into a conversation. After we know each other and stuff, I will pull out a deck of cards and ask them if they want to see something. They almost always accept. Also, I have noticed that they are much less inclined to heckle me once we are introduced and doing the magic as friends. Another thing I do is make sure that I remember their name. I find that quite often they'll stop and say hello afterwards. I'll know the whole school soon :p
Now not all that is necessarily best with street magic. I think, though, my main tip is to try your best to appear confident when approaching people, even if you aren't. Positive thinking can have a massive effect on your performance. There we go, just my thoughts...

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Great responses guys,really enjoyed reading them.
I also go up to a person or persons and asked if they wanted to see something all in the casual manner of introducing myself and asking for their time Just not constantly.But people are suprisingly willing to watch.Ive even gotten comments like 'oh crap,its david blaines younger brother" or things like that when ive asked them to see something.
So im pretty sure I have blaine to thank for people being more open because they see that thats they way he approached people to show magic.
Now the thing is,to not be a clone of David and perform exactly like him.
(The folks who I generally perform for are college age or 17,18 year olds)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well, I don't like walkaround magic very much, primarily because I don't find it at all interesting or engaging for me to perform with. I far prefer my stage and table routines and effects than my walkaround and the majority of walkaround effects which are astoundingly similar. So I prefer to perform in coffee shops etc etc., and will rarely perform for someone except at a gig unless as a few people have stated before, someone is interested and wants to see magic - if someone approaches, or looks interested, etc.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Just a quick question though people, how do you personally lead people into magic?

Yeah, i want to know that too...

And also, I always read about how you need to approach your spectator, hide your props so that they don't know that you are a magician, than make them like you as a person before you whip out a deck of cards...
So my question is this:
You are sitting in a coffee place, with your girlfriend, and some guy just walks towards you, and start a conversation, basically invading your space and privacy, and just trying to start a "normal" conversation with you two. You don't find this more strange and odd and frightening than a guy with a deck of cards who want to show you a trick?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It rather depends on where I'm performing and the circumstances of the performance. If I approach someone, I'll introduce myself, and then start talking to them about them - start a conversation about anything to the point where I almost forget about magic. Essentially, my goal is always to have them life me as a person before I perform magic. I enter their circle, so I familiarise myself with everyone, establishing rapport, and then I perform.

This is much easier if on the other hand I am approached, so many of the above steps are skipped/are made briefer.

I can't say that there's a stock delivery line that I use though, but that's the basic process, following the thought process of Derren Brown.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
It rather depends on where I'm performing and the circumstances of the performance. If I approach someone, I'll introduce myself, and then start talking to them about them - start a conversation about anything to the point where I almost forget about magic. Essentially, my goal is always to have them life me as a person before I perform magic. I enter their circle, so I familiarise myself with everyone, establishing rapport, and then I perform.

This is much easier if on the other hand I am approached, so many of the above steps are skipped/are made briefer.

I can't say that there's a stock delivery line that I use though, but that's the basic process, following the thought process of Derren Brown.

But I find it more weirder if you approach a group of people, that have never seen you before, and don't know who you are, and just trying to talk to them, asking them questions... Maybe it's just me.

I mean, if I was with my girlfriend, and some random guy comes and introduce himself, and start all these questions, and trying to start a conversation, it would be awkward to me and my girl...

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
So my question is this:
You are sitting in a coffee place, with your girlfriend, and some guy just walks towards you, and start a conversation, basically invading your space and privacy, and just trying to start a "normal" conversation with you two. You don't find this more strange and odd and frightening than a guy with a deck of cards who want to show you a trick?

No, actually. That's called interacting with society and it happens everyday. People talk to each other, it's how communication works. You don't just "have" all your friends one day - you first have to talk to them, meet them. It's how you meet people in high school, in the neighborhood, in bars, at work.

Especially if I'm just hanging out, relaxing at coffee shop. What a perfect time to meet some new people! I've got time on my hands to sit and enjoy some heavily sugared coffee (or some odd java cocktail if you're at Starbucks), and the atmosphere is pretty mellow.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results