THAT was the "Dive of Death"?

Jun 22, 2008
earth
I'm equally confused and let down. I never understood the dive part of his endurance feat. but what I think is that the cable was suppose to pull him up a few inches from the ground. he seemed a bit disappointed as he was being hauled up but then just went with it and started waving as a crane lifted him into the air then the spot light went off him and he "vanished".
But the matches trick was sweet. I love the deck flick one, and the disappearing deck!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Considering he was smiling before the initial jump, he never intended to make a 'dive to death'...he would have been more serious.

He might have intended to vanish, but that's something that could/would have been practiced and better performed.

I'm not sure what happened...but the special as a whole was awesome.

It was nice to see Blaine doing effects, some of which I've never seen, sadly they'll all be bought and overexposed if they're released (and the ones that are released already will probably be advertised more and ...well...youtubed to hell)

Thankfully 90% of the world doesn't use youtube...or when they do they don't look up tutorials on magic. :) my audience has never caught me at least...

Jan 13, 2008
I also enjoyed the show (minus the ending). The bullet catch was nuts. The magic was amazing. I was thoroughly entertained. But the ending left a bitter taste in my mouth.

However, I do not believe he is doing it for the money, as he gets more from his private gigs (upwards of $100,000 per night/party/whatever). I would assume he's doing it to help advance magic and get it more out there (as well as keeping his name out there).

Oct 23, 2007
what ???? wtf was that .... nah i loved the ending it shows that he is his own person... and does not listen to us magic typing nerds ...

Don't get me wrong...David/s magic was second to none. Then again, his magic has never been in question so I feel no need to go there. The bullet catch? Simply superb.

I would have to say my favorite part of the special was his Hundy 500 performance. Nothing comes closer to real magic, than turning $1 into $100 and then proceeding to hand out $500 in cash. WOW!

But the ending? Definitely a tech glitch IMO. :confused:

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I was actually amazed at first. I said, "wow that's scary. He just dissappeared." Then I thought of how he could have done that and WOW....very dissappointing but what an amazing show with all the magic!

Hi Everybody! ,

Just finished watching the special. Ending was lame. I actually thought he hung himself on national TV. Definitely had an "OH MY GOD" moment right there.

Magic performances were spot on. Fraud routine was classic.

Overall, it was ok.

Peace,

Mitch.Conroy

May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really enjoyed watching all of hid performances.

The ending was dissapointing though. I actually thought he jumped with a noose around his neck and lived!

He definately has that look of epic fail on his face. But i don't know, maybe it looked cooler in person.

-Kevin

Sep 2, 2007
When I saw him jump, I thought his body had turned into a dummy hanging from the cord. So, my first impression was that the ending was a transformation type of thing. Looks like I was wrong :S

As far as the magic is concerned, there were several strong effects in this special. The card to matchbook reminds me of the Sankey effect that was published a few years ago. My favorite part of the special was the dart effect. Very slick.

John Mayer's reaction to Fraud was great. The effect where the face of Washington changes into the spectators was also pretty creative.

All in all, I thought the special was ok. Not as strong as Street Magic or Magic Man though.

Sep 2, 2007
I really enjoyed watching all of hid performances.

The ending was dissapointing though. I actually thought he jumped with a noose around his neck and lived!

He definately has that look of epic fail on his face. But i don't know, maybe it looked cooler in person.

-Kevin

Ha Ha. I think you and I were thinking along the same lines.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Worst ending since Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. With that said....

Don't forget, I believe Blaine said that he wanted the focus to be on the magic rather than the stunt for this special. And on a sidenote, I think that the gun range that he did the bullet catch in is the one that's down the road from me. It's the only one that's actually in Orlando (there's one in Altamonte Springs and I forgot where the other one is but it's outside of Orlando).

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Did anyone stick around for the sneak peek at his next special? David Blaine will attempt to watch paint dry for 72 hours. Not 72 hours consecutively though!

Oct 6, 2007
Wow, Im sorry if I sound insulting but how can you guys as magicains not see that it OBVIOUSLY dident go through as planned...somthing messed up I cant belive most of you acually thought that was suppost to happen, cmon guys....
even my girlfriend who is the biggest laymen in the world knew somthing had to have gone wrong give the guy a break and wise up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results