The story I need to tell.

Jul 27, 2016
Mexico
Hey there! I'm wondering what story should I tell while I'm performing. I know that it depends of the trick but, if you could give me some advise or tell me about a story you use so i can get an idea it'd be great! Thank you. Wish you well.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
It's called patter and it really depends on the effect. I would just be yourself if you are getting started and practice in front of a mirror getting to know what kind of magician you are whether serious/funny etc. Worry about getting the effects down first and then integrate some patter here and there. Don't try to be too funny either people want to see magic, not stand up comedy. Hope this helps!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It very much depends on what you are doing, and how you like to present. Each effect has a different presentation, yet my show, has an overall 'story' that I am telling that I tell during the transitions and using the effects.

I look at what is happening in the effect and I try to think of what that might be an analogy for. Then I weave a presentation around that.
For example, my version of the Biddle Trick, starts off with me asking if anyone has ever seen the movie 'Maverick'. (Less and less people say yes to that now!- I'm getting old). There are always people who haven't seen it, so I explain that it had Mel Gibbson and Jodi Foster, and Mel Gibbson played a river boat gambler. And there is a scene in the movie where his dad tells him that if he closes his eyes and thinks hard enough about a single card, he should be able to cut straight to the card he was thinking of. And the trick plays out where I just can't get it, and eventually they try and cut right to their own card. (If you want to see my old presentation, here you go.). My presentation has changed since that video. Now I cut the deck with no luck, and use the excuse to use less cards, then I take 5 cards and continue to fail. Then I have them try with their deck and they cur right to their face up card in the deck. So cutting the deck becomes the theme of the story, and they become the 'hero'.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
...Don't try to be too funny either people want to see magic, not stand up comedy. Hope this helps!

This is a really good point. The best comedy is from people who are serious and are doing ridiculous things. If you try to be funny, you will often appear as trying too hard. (unless you're a gifted comedian of course -which I am very much not!)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
What does the magic say to you? What does the effect remind you of? What does your heart feel seeing the effect?

My presentations are as varied as my magic. Many of the stories I use are mine: A story about tending bar in law school when I do a cups and balls with stainless steel cups and martini loves; a story about an armoire in my grandparent's house when performing the Haunted Key; a story about a French farm girl named Margarite when I'm doing my egg bag routine; a love story about my rabbit named Harvey and his girlfriend Lola for my version of Benson Burner; a story about how I met my wife for a wildcard routine; and a story about a little Austrian girl and the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand as part of an ambitious card routine. Some are adaptations of others presentations: a story about my Uncle Jim and the greatest magic trick never performed for my version of Jim Steinmeyer's Pasteboards Under Glass; a story about the effects of prayer using worry stones for a routine by Eugene Burger; a story about two letters received in the mail from St. Peter and the Devil based on Jim Steinmeyer's Fan Mail; a beautiful story about a Holocaust survivor who was separated from her son in Walt Anthony's Lettie's Feather routine.

Oct 19, 2015
Many use no 'patter' at least nothing spoken....only body language including facial expressions, eye movement and hand motions, etc. Pantomime if you wish....usually with some background music....I think this style can be extremely funny and engaging....but probably harder than developing patter....Wouldn't it be neat to use both styles in a routine??!!

Reactions: eduardo.ojeda9821
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results