The Weekly Debate...

Dear Readers,

I have decided to write this after thinking for a while. There are many problems with magic today, there is no denying it. But are the problems as big as some magicians make them out to be? Who knows?

Will Youtube Kill Us?
What is the Difference between camera tricks and camera editing?
Is Camera Editing bad?
Are Custom cards Bad?
WHY DOES DAVID BLAINE WEAR CASUAL DENIM JEANS?

Well, I have decided to make this weekly debate so we can all debate these questions. Every week, or almost every week, I'll post up a new question for us to discuss. I will hope that lots of people will join in. Below you'll find the first question.

Now, This is a Debate but I don't want a political debate going on. I don't want raging arguments. I simply want people to post their opinion on the matter and give reasoning behind it. NO ARGUING. Please, do not try and convince people that they are wrong and you are right. The rules are as follow:

RULES:

1: No senseless arguing. your opinion and friendly discussion only.
2: Treat others with respect.
3: To refer to a question that is older simply put "My Take on Question#___" as a title.
4: Don't go off-topic.
5: HAVE FUN!!! and check the question each week.

Anyone with an idea for a question PM it to me. Do NOT post it in the thread.

The first question is the post below this one.

The Weekly Debate: Question #1...

We have all heard it before and it is sure to be heard again. Let us formally discuss this topic and see what all views are on it. So, without further ado... Here is Question #1.

"WILL EXPOSURE ON VIDEO SITES LIKE YOUTUBE, METECAFE, AND GOOGLE BE THE DEATH OF MAGIC???"

My response is under this...

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that exposure on video sites is wrong but that it will not kill magic. sites like Youtube are great and you can get a lot of joy from them. And actually it seems like the exposure cmes back around to us anyway.

Think about it. If Daniel Madison never released BURN then only he, and a few people who could figure it out, would know it. but if it is on DVD now more people know it and can expose it a Youtube. But really as long as there is one hard working magician with his own effects in the world then magic will never truly die anyway.

Dylan P.

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
psssshhh a triple post i think thats a record

It doesn't matter because he did make three great posts. Not like you, just posting some ****.

Anway, I think this will be a fun thread. I will come up with my opinion on this subject soon. :)

Feb 28, 2008
I really don't think exposure is bad for the magic community to laymen. I don't think if I... let's say do Tivo 2.0 for someone, and they like it, I doubt that they're going to go home and look for a tutorial on youtube.

I think the problem is more of a moral one. For example, awhile back I was looking for the trailer for Torn Too (I think the beginning of it as Garcia is talking into the camera is really funny), and on the side I saw a link for an exposure video. I watched, I cannot lie because it was right there for me to see and it was hard not to click it (I'm weak I know).

The owner of my local magic shop says Penguin is doing more to kill the magic industry. Why? Because they provide tricks and everything at such low prices that local shops like his where local performers create new material with one another and often work are losing money and going out of business.

I guess the problem to me with exposure videos is that it takes the money out of the pockets of those who deserve it and creates a strain on their lives and doesn't help the really creative minds that come out with new tricks and stuff that we respect..

D

Deleted member 2755

Youtube will NOT kill magic. Why? 99.999999999999999999832958273985742987834597023475893475892739845798237598732498555555555555555555%
of exposers are novices in magic looking for attention and fame. Notice here how I said novice. ;) These novices don't use those things that people should be using. What were those things called again? They had lots of pages with I think this stuff called "ink". OH YEAH! Books.

Novices/exposers do not read books. You will RARELY EVER FIND exposure videos for effects that are in books. Read books. They aren't on Youtube. ;)

On top of this, if sleights are done very well, then spectators still will not see them. Double lifts are common for even laymen to know. (Not all know, I do magic all the time for laymen that don't know about double lifts. However, it is very widely known.) We do double lifts every day yet we don't get called out on it. Why? Because they look convincing.

EVEN ON TOP OF ALL OF THAT! We should create our own effects. As we get more skillful with magic, we have no excuse to finally become artists ourselves. Will you find tutorials to effects you created yourself? Well if you put them on there then yes. ;) If not... no.

So overall, no it is not killing magic. We just need to be more careful. We need to read books. We need to create our own effects. All is good with the world. :)

-Doug

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
i feel that youtube(or any videosite for that matter) will not kill magic, because only beginning magicians would go and search for tutorials on tricks or sleights.Because they dont know where to go or how to really approach magic.(And some just dont give a darn about art or respect to the creators.)
And laymen do not go on youtube searching for secrets of magic.they use it for watching music videos,movie trailers and balloonshop.
so no.I dont think its killing magic.just giving people a wrong way to go about it.

Sep 3, 2007
Even the magic begginers who find out the secret of an effect will not be any harm. They will perform in five minutes, they will suck, what was the harm? The kid will learn to buy magic eventually, or just continue to suck.

Hey guys. This is good. I'm hearing a lot of feedback. Keep it coming. And thank you for all following the rules so far.

I would also like to address an issue here. Many of you will notice that this thread is like the Cerca Trova forum. Well, there is one difference... here even after a certain weeks question you will still be able to post in it. For example, if it is question #13 and you suddenly want to put feedback into week 3 question all you have to do is this.

Put your title as "My Take on Question #3" so we can see what you are talking about and then simply type it up and enter it. The title let's people know that you are refering to a previous question and will avoid confusion.

Thank you. Keep posting.
Dylan Piknick

When I see someone saying that Youtube will destroy magic, my first and foremost reaction is "What the heck?!"... Cause really, magic exists for hundreds, even thousands of years, do you really think something relatively new like Youtube is going to be the downfall of magic? Come on, it's like saying that file sharing programs are the downfall of music.
Magic is an art, which means people will always want to see magic, and magicians will always invent new ways to amaze people. Like every great art (music, visual art, prose and so forth) it will stand the trial of time.
Now, videos in Youtube can be a nuisance, especially is the magician is not good and flashing some sleights. But that's all they are, a nuisance, not some big threat to magic society. If there is someone who actually thinks that a group of some snotty begginers who only want to able to say "i has a video on utube lol" will be the downfall of magic, I have nothing to do but to stand back and laugh.

Weekly Debate: Question #2:

Well, The first question of the week got a lot of attention and I loved the feedback from all the readers. I also would like to thank everyone for abiding by the rules. By following the rules you have made this easier. But without further ado let me ask question #2.

People who film videos of magic tricks for the web or for a DVD sometimes don't have actual spectators. Sometimes they just set up a table and whip out a Triumph. The question is this:

"WHEN FILMING A VIDEO FOR A SITE, A DVD, OR EVEN FOR A FRIEND, SHOULD YOU USE A LIVE AUDIANCE. WHY OR WHY NOT? EXPLAIN."

My answer is in the post below...

I think that everyone should use a live audiance whenever possible. It allows people to see reactions from tricks and also show what the trick may look like in a public area. By7 doing this you allow the veiwers more action and a chance to see what they might accomplish. Besides performing for a live audiance is more fun.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Yes, but a debate is essentially arguing and trying to convince "the other side" of your opinion. Just sayin'.

Yes, but the creator of this topic, wants there to be no arguments, so its a varied debate.

I don't think that youtube will kill magic. Yeah theres exposure, but the majority of videos on youtube aren't magic. Probably nine out of ten spectators won't go home and youtube a trick to find how to do it. Plus even if they wanted to, chances are they won't know the name of it. So in conclusion, I think magic will live on, and won't be effected too much by google, youtube, metacafe, etc. Thats my two cents. :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results