Theatrics | Essay

Theatrics
An essay by Mikk Pärg

Im finding myself going over already posted topics. But i feel that i have much to discuss now that ive grown a little and know much more. The first topic was posted on the 1 of October, so a good 3 months of collecting thoughts. Also i will be adding thoughts by D ICE R and Shukatau who gave some great ideas in the first thread also some thoughts provided by Mr. Jane in his posts.

What is the current state of using theatrics in magic?

I would like to introduce to you David Copperfield. One of the most theatrical personas in the current age of magic.(although there are much more of this type of people)
He is the only performers of magic who does a magic show with really putting everything towards presentation, character and theatrics.

So why the hell are you telling me this?

Well if you just thought that or something similar you probably are a type of performer who wears Jeans and a T-shirt and performs solely on street. This is the new type of performing that really got noticed in the 21'st century.(Mainly by David Blane)
Whats wrong with this, many of you ask, is that this does not have anything to do with theatrics which was the only driving power of the old guys. Before the 21'st and about half of the 20th century: mentalists, magicians, comedy magicians etc. everyone performed close with the theater. A magic show was something that you went to see on stage, accompanied with beautiful women, dancing, bright lights, fireworks etc., current magicians are so lazy that they have stripped all of this and become more independent in performing.

Thanks to this people have become distant from things like rapport, personality, characteristics, believable stories, knowledge, confidence and most importantly theatrics(and much more of course).

//This is what Shakutau had to say about the sentence: How did he achieve that?

Personality, characteristics, believable stories, knowledge, confidence and most importantly theatrics(and much more of course). Which is the same principle as the sentence above.

As you may all know, many of the forums have submited to topic and posts regarding to performances and presenting your character, also getting that message of your premises across (if you have started creating a premise for your powerful performances that is). Sites like Papercrane Productions have blog entries written by our honored member Dee Christophper, helping newcommers step and go, in the proper direction of this Art. Even forums like Ellusionist and Penguin Magic have people writing about these topics, and there is valuble, valuble knowledge and experiences to be learnt. People are sharing these gems for free here, and what do we do? We glance across as if it was nothing, while we carry on searching for the newest of the newest, competing against other magician's sleight of hand skill, the best cards, what magician is better than whom, etc etc. We settle our minds on so trivial things and we become nerds basically.

I hope more and more of you start doing your research and studies now.

Most of the time when people are performing, when they begin to add even a speck of presentation in ther performances, they will tend to immitate either the (full) patter and presentation of certain magicians; and immediately people start to feel that your performance becomes less plausible.

"Is it the tricks? Is it what i said? What am i doing wrong? I said what he said! Followed exactly how he taught! The hell am i doing wrong!?"

Its neither and everything. Many magicians teach us to do things our own way, while they share theirs to point you the general direction. For example, the presentation given by Chris Kenner in his Sloppy Shuffle Triumph - i once saw a few people online and even my friend perform this, with the exact same patter and presentation. All i had to say was that i felt embarassed to even watch them perform that.

Backstories. We have to share our OWN. Not other peoples. Unless you're a zombie and you have none. Share that too! At least it's yours. People like Paul Harris, Daniel Madison, Bob Cassidy, Derren Brown, Joel Paschall all have their own backstories, own history, own experiences which formed their magic. Thats what makes them a lot more credible and enjoyable to watch and understand.

You have experiences people. Use them.

"Experience teaches only the teachable"

-- Aldus Huxley

The fact that todays magic is distant from the things mentioned above(theatrics, rapport, characteristics etc.) is not new news. We have problems getting this point across, its not how fast you can do a pass nor how perfect of a Double Lift you have, no its the way you present them, the way you hide them. There are many subtle Psychological aspects that todays performers don't understand and many don't want to understand. I find this silly because there is so much we can do to make out life easier as performers with just using the knowledge of old guys.

I remember Max Maven talking about how everyone talked about sleights and effects with the Professor, but they talked about the Psychological aspects of performing. The subtle ways of getting points across to the people without actually saying anything. We need to embrace the fact that the old guys have gone through everything that we will be going through and can give much much good advice to further push our art.

I will take a few sentences for this, the old guys have the chance to push the art forward, teach us the young ones new princibles, new techniques only obtainable by performing for 30 years, this gives us the edge of being better before we should and making our life easier in that sense, but also this helps future performers knowledge on much deeper and complex stuff that they wouldnt get even if they performed for 60 years. This is what i believe to be the pushing of art but lets get back to the theme.

Also people don't understand basic princibles such as mirroring, building rapport, correct wording etc. everything that makes us better performers. Reading books such as Psychological Subtleties and Paul Brooks "Alchemical Tools" give you much more knowledge on performing than you could get doing street, note that im not saying that you should stop, performing on streets is good as long as you do it good and get something from it. I performed for 6 months straight when i started magic, im 16 and although i have much more to learn i have built a strong base for my magic and mentalism. But PS and Alchemical are not books for only mentalists, they are meant for both magicians and mentalists and other magic performers to make out performances more full and better. I suggest everyone having problems rebooking and having problems in performing read Alchemical Tools, those who want to make your routines more full read PS and you get some nice stuff to use in your routines that make them noticeably better.

"Our job is not simple, but if done right we make contact for 5 minutes but make a bond for life!"

Thats what theatrics do for our magic. Thats what it does to make it more memorable, its not only us that do it. Its not about misdirection, quick hands nor clever hidden devices. Its about how you present it.(taken from the original thread)

People tend to overthink the trick, the mechanics and not the presentation of it. People tend to take time to practice the mechanics but not the presentation.

This is something i understood this summer when i saw Miika Pelkonen aka. Ineski, who is one of the awesomest magicians i have ever seen, pumping himself up in the dressing room. He talked briefly about how in card manipulation, every movement, every detail has to be perfect for it to give the impact. That was when i first saw that theatrics are important, he actually practiced 1 movement for 5 minutes in front of the mirror to remember it and get it perfect for the night. While he did not have any cards in his hand, he just did the moves.

And this is what makes the impact on people, the gracefulness of the whole thing, he entertains with himself first and then the cards come in. If you ever have the chance to see him perform his act i do recommend it!

Continues....

"You cannot depend on your eyes if your mind is out of focus"

-- Mark Twain

I have discussed this before with many people but I will give it a little more of a public domain. When I talk about the greatest performance I have ever seen (either live or on TV/youtube etc.) it has to be Derren's take on the "Which Hand Game" from Comic Aid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-Pw5KgE7k

Whilst there is nothing new in terms of methodology the way he performs it is nothing short of perfection. Very briefly there are some points that I would like to mention about the method. In the first phase he is aware that the audience knows who he is and more importantly what he is 'doing'. He than exploits this by over doing the suggestion to the point that he invites the audience to try and catch him out. The second phase when he gets the woman on to the stage is nothing to special as most of the information can be found in many many sources. There are a few aspects in there, that are fairly original and a few bits of luck thrown in for good measure.

However, this topic is about presentation so I will get back to that. The first phase seems to have gone exactly as he wanted it to. It may have, but Derren is a shows his true strength as a performer, if it did not go as he wanted all he would have to do is alter his patter. This act is something that on the surface is all that impressive. I mean the first phase only has a 1/8 chance of success and the second half is a 1/16. But Derren turns this into a mircle, and the reason, because they believed him. It helps that the method was almost the same as the pseudo method.

But it transcends that, this to the audience was not a trick. He took something that everyone has done in their life, either as a stand alone game or as a precursor to one. Then used that connection to create something that everyone would participate in, and most importantly invest in. He gave the audience things to look for so that they could try it at home and make a game out of it. This respect is something that a lot of magician's do no give to the audience. The role of the magician often comes across as a 'look at me' I can do something that you cannot, and that is one of the easiest ways to lose their respect.

Special Thanks...

Thanks goes out to David aka. D ICE R, Max Maven, Banachek, Ineski, Shakutau, Mr. Jane and everyone at Eesti Mustkunstnike Liit(Estonian Society of Magicians)

Mikk.

Sep 1, 2007
Giving this a nudge because it irritates me to see this slipping off the first page without a single response.

Dec 24, 2009
Missed this, great post and hope many get a good read out of this. More so they learn a bit about the differences of the younger and older generation.

I had something to add but unfortunately that thought is now lost. I'll edit this if I happen to remember it.

Also, whatever I had to do with it glad I could be of some assistance. Steerpike I grabbed that book called the four hour work week from Ferriss' blog, so far a decent read. A bit.... far fetched but interesting to see some of the things he has mentioned.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Theatrics
An essay by Mikk Pärg

Well if you just thought that or something similar you probably are a type of performer who wears Jeans and a T-shirt and performs solely on street. This is the new type of performing that really got noticed in the 21'st century.(Mainly by David Blane)
Whats wrong with this, many of you ask, is that this does not have anything to do with theatrics which was the only driving power of the old guys. Before the 21'st and about half of the 20th century: mentalists, magicians, comedy magicians etc. everyone performed close with the theater. A magic show was something that you went to see on stage, accompanied with beautiful women, dancing, bright lights, fireworks etc., current magicians are so lazy that they have stripped all of this and become more independent in performing.

I agree with everything but this. I hope you're not criticizing David Blaine's presentation.

I agree with everything but this. I hope you're not criticizing David Blaine's presentation.

No i was trying to take across the point that people have gone more solo. David Blane actually was one of the guys who showed that performing on streets is not bad. Also,
I was more criticizing the fact that young ones think that performing street is the ultimate performing style and just copy what they see on TV.
Nothing against Blane, although i don't like his way of doing things(thats my opinion and im not judging him based on that) but the guy has done a lot.

Mikk.

nic

Jan 2, 2010
Well written post, but I disagree on a few points. Just because you aren't a theatrical performer, doesn't mean you can't have a developed character and psychological subtleties. If anything, casual close up strengthens these aspects. Think about it. If someone really could work miracles with cards and things, would they need bright lights and beautiful assistants? You argue that Blaine's casual attitude and attire detract from the magic, but I think if these were not present, the feeling of wonder that Blaine's magic gives would be much less. A miracle needs to feel like it doesn't need a stage, like it could happen anywhere. The audience should leave felling that they witnessed a beautiful anomaly of the natural world, not a pre-fabricated stage production.

Well written post, but I disagree on a few points. Just because you aren't a theatrical performer, doesn't mean you can't have a developed character and psychological subtleties. If anything, casual close up strengthens these aspects. Think about it. If someone really could work miracles with cards and things, would they need bright lights and beautiful assistants? You argue that Blaine's casual attitude and attire detract from the magic, but I think if these were not present, the feeling of wonder that Blaine's magic gives would be much less. A miracle needs to feel like it doesn't need a stage, like it could happen anywhere. The audience should leave felling that they witnessed a beautiful anomaly of the natural world, not a pre-fabricated stage production.

Agreed!
I was talking mostly about the guys who don´t have any of this. Not a single piece of character nor subtleties. Thats why i wrote this, people tend to miss these things and i wasnt calling Street lame or anything nor nothing that seems to be distant but people do street very poorly thinking it is good.

People are trading cool stuff/cool effects with the chance to be great with your own persona and your own performing style. Blane has everything needed but the followers of Blaine think that it is a breeze trying to do the same thing.

Mikk.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results