This makes me want to quit.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well the routine doesn't have to make sense, but the context does. Take Gypsy thread for example. What is the reason the thread ends up as one big piece at the end of the routine? well there technically isn't a reason. But if you can come up with a damn good presentation for it, then people generally won't wonder about the How and the Why. They'll be entertained by the big picture.

^ Thats where the older style of magic comes into play. A "visual" magician, like Dan or Dave would say "Heres a thread, I'm gonna cut it up, and put it back together" The spectator would be like hmm I wonder how he did that, I'm gonna ask him to do it again so maybe I can figure it out. Because they arent really fooled, they know you're just slick with the digits. But an "Old-school" magician would interweave intricate patter and presentational motivation to create a small miracle. <-- And thats when you start to really evoke emotions.

Oct 11, 2010
^ Thats where the older style of magic comes into play. A "visual" magician, like Dan or Dave would say "Heres a thread, I'm gonna cut it up, and put it back together" The spectator would be like hmm I wonder how he did that, I'm gonna ask him to do it again so maybe I can figure it out. Because they arent really fooled, they know you're just slick with the digits. But an "Old-school" magician would interweave intricate patter and presentational motivation to create a small miracle. <-- And thats when you start to really evoke emotions.

I agree... A lot of the card magic videos that I have seen fool the crap out of me, but the most entertaining magic video that I've seen lately was a thumb tip trick that didn't really fool me. It was, however, entertaining.

I agree... A lot of the card magic videos that I have seen fool the crap out of me, but the most entertaining magic video that I've seen lately was a thumb tip trick that didn't really fool me. It was, however, entertaining.

Exactly. Honestly Ive seen shows that are adverstised as magic and in about 30 minutes the magician did about 1 trick and the crowd flipped out and gave a standing O. Its presentation that makes the show.

Jul 7, 2010
I love sleight of hand more than magic but I perform a lot and I'd like to have a better performance style. so I fool around with a lot of visual stuff but I mostly just like them for the moves

Nov 8, 2010
virginia
Not to mention, doing so much finger work is just asking to get caught. Im with Fisher when he says "in live performances, you should use about 20-30% of your maximum ability."

All the magicians of today (and yesterday) claim that Youtube is ruining magic. Magicians complain that all people care about is creating a "new" concept so they can take 50 tries to get it on YT and get a few magic buddies to comment on it. Even with this "go.out.perform" mentality that everyone is preaching, the new material on the market seems to me that it is made especially for YT, so some adolescents can buy the DVD, practice for an hour, and brag that they can do a new trick.

Maybe I'm the only one that still thinks so, but these focus on "visual" magic really preterbs me, and honestly makes me not want to associate myself with the title "magician" anymore.

I sort of agree. I dont like visual card magic (especially clipshift) b/c it puts performer u for being caught. ive tried the clipshift in performance and lets just say its pretty obvious to spectators whats going on (finger movement). I completely agree with aaron fisher. use only 20-30 % of skill. save the technical stuff for performing in front of other "magicians"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results