TnR Frequently Asked Questions

Sep 1, 2007
I've got some TnR questions. As always, if answering them would be exposing them, don't asnwer them...

1. Is it gimmicked?

2. Is there setup?

3. Is it angle sensitive, and if so, how angle sensitive?

4. Is it noisy?

5. Can everything be examined afterwards?

6. Can I let the spectators hold the torn peices while I restore the card?

7. Can the principle be applied to paper money?

Thanks, and if I left anything out, feel free to answer it for me.

Sep 2, 2007
The routine that is taught on the DVD ends clean and allows you to hand the card out at the very end.

I thought that I would get this FAQ started, but that's all I know. I never thought about it, but the paper money facet to the effect would be interesting... I guess we'll have to find out.

Cheers,
JTM

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
I've got some TnR questions. As always, if answering them would be exposing them, don't answer them...

1. Is it gimmicked?

2. Is there setup?

3. Is it angle sensitive, and if so, how angle sensitive?

4. Is it noisy?

6. Can I let the spectators hold the torn pieces while I restore the card?

7. Can the principle be applied to paper money?

Thanks, and if I left anything out, feel free to answer it for me.

Ill try to answer these as best I can... Here goes!

1) Very cleverly!
2) Yes, but one setup can last you many performances.
3) Only a little - the angles for this are actually pretty darn good. They're just as good, if not better, than the other torn & restored effects on the market.
4) Not if done properly :)
5) CK teaches an awesome routine on the DVD that turns the TNR effect into a full showpiece presentation & yes, at the end of the routine you can hand the restored card out as a souvenir.
6) Absolutely, in fact, this is how CK teaches it.
7) I'm almost certain that it can, although I've never tried. Theoretically yes!

Sep 1, 2007
I ordered it this morning, I can't wait!

I have a question- Is it a make-it-yourself gimmick, or does the gimmick come with the dvd?

Sep 1, 2007
I would image that if you did this with paper money, you could blow on the bill after its restored, and make the bill change.

Nov 1, 2007
I heard something about a "mis-matched" card, which proposed the question: can you restore the card, yet each of the four pieces is from a different card? Top left is the five of hearts, fused to the Queen of clubs, which is fused to the eight of spades, etc.

That would be really cool. :D

Sep 9, 2007
1. is the setup making the gimmick? (the reason I'm asking is the next question)

2. would giving the spectator the card (to keep as a souvenit) mean they're keeping the gimmick or are they taking a card that can be remade over and over? (Ideally, I'd like to let the spectator keep the end result, but still be able to perform the trick.)

3. Would giving the spectator the card allow them to figure out how it's done?

1. is the setup making the gimmick? (the reason I'm asking is the next question)

2. would giving the spectator the card (to keep as a souvenit) mean they're keeping the gimmick or are they taking a card that can be remade over and over? (Ideally, I'd like to let the spectator keep the end result, but still be able to perform the trick.)

1. I haven't actually bought the trick yet, so I don't know. No, I think the set-up is getting the gimmick into the proper place etc.

2. I doubt that you would be giving away your gimmick, but who knows.

3. Again, I doubt it. If the card is "perfectly normal" I don't think they can figure it out.

phrozunsun: It would be fairly easy to change the bill, and then swap it with the coins, right? :D

Sep 9, 2007
1. I haven't actually bought the trick yet, so I don't know. No, I think the set-up is getting the gimmick into the proper place etc.

2. I doubt that you would be giving away your gimmick, but who knows.

3. Again, I doubt it. If the card is "perfectly normal" I don't think they can figure it out.

phrozunsun: It would be fairly easy to change the bill, and then swap it with the coins, right? :D

well from what i've read here, the setup is making some sort of gimmick. If it's not obvious how the gimmick is made/works by looking at it, I wouldn't mind giving it as a souvenir.

and If i did it with a bill, I wouldn't change it to a different bill. just tear and restore a $5 (thats our lowest bill here) and then at the end change it to 2 toonies and a loonie.

Sep 4, 2007
definitive answers to ALL questions

skylark, thanks for answering the questions, especially when you make educated guesses on all of them hahaha. "i think, i doubt, probably"

you do NOT give away the gimmick. you make a clever swap, and you can do it any way you like. you give away a queen that has creases on it.

the setup is done at home. it takes 30 minutes the first time, 5 minutes the second and third. it lasts for many performances, and some "maintenance" on it will make it last indefinitely. however, the gimmick is so easy to make, you might as well make a new one.

there are 2 "principles" to the gimmick. to create one for paper money, you would lose on the "principle" that changes the bill/card. the second (restore the card/bill) COULD work, but the effort isn't worth it. you might as well just fingerpalm scotch tape, and tape the bill together; it would look just as good. of course you would do a bill switch when you hand it to the spectator.

Aug 31, 2007

1. Yes
2. No, of course you don't hand them your gimmick. It's like handing them a folding coin.
3. If you give them the gimmick, yes.

Sep 9, 2007
2. No, of course you don't hand them your gimmick. It's like handing them a folding coin.

cool, i think gods_basement gave me the other part of that answer:

"you do NOT give away the gimmick. you make a clever swap, and you can do it any way you like. you give away a queen that has creases on it."

I just like to be able to give people something to remember me by. A switch is enough for me.

This info will all probably make more sense when i buy the DVD....

thanks all who helped.

Sep 1, 2007
Exactley how many times can you use 1 gimmick. when I heard you need 4 queen of spades, I went out and bought 2 one way force decks.

Aug 31, 2007
It doesn't have to be queen of spades, just any court card.
Better off buying four decks.
You can use the gimmick unlimitedly, but it will wear out.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
I heard something about a "mis-matched" card, which proposed the question: can you restore the card, yet each of the four pieces is from a different card? Top left is the five of hearts, fused to the Queen of clubs, which is fused to the eight of spades, etc.

That would be really cool.

Hey...

This is absolutely possible, im not sure why someone else said it wasn't, but it is.

Sep 4, 2007

That would be really cool.
Hey...

This is absolutely possible, im not sure why someone else said it wasn't, but it is.

it is not. i cannot explain, due to exposure, but the best you can do, is to create a mis-pipped court card. that, in itself, would be a pretty good routine, but you run a very high risk of exposing the gimmick, due to its nature. you can NOT have 4 quarters of different cards; where they are melded together, in the sense that each quarter is from a different card.

give up on the idea until you bought the routine. there is some fiddling to be done, which allows for what you are thinking of; but you end dirtier than a sanchez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results