TnR Frequently Asked Questions

Sep 1, 2007
I have a question regarding the gimmick.
Is it easy to carry around? Do you have to be really protective with it?

Nov 11, 2007
Dinuba, CA.
Hi guys,

First off, I do not own any torn/restored card effects, therefore I have no idea how any of them are done.

That being said, can anyone give me an idea as to the level of difficulty between "Bich's TNR" and "Garcia's Torn"? Obviously I know that "Torn" doesn't "change" the card like TNR does, however is the change in TNR optional whereby you just restore the original specs card like in Garcia's "Torn" (I'm assuming that's the way it is with Garcia's Torn)? Don't get me wrong....I like the idea of the card "changing" in TNR, but I'm just wondering about he level of difficulty between the two? Is TnR harder, or is Torn harder, or are they about the same less the gimmick? Does Torn utilize a gimmick too??

If these questions are too touchy to answer for exposure reasons then I will understand. Although I'm hopeful that someone can at least give me an idea as to the level of difficulty between the two - fully realizing of course that TnR has a gimmick. Oh, and believe me whichever one that I may possibly go with I will practice to the hilt before I show it to anyone! Thanks for any help!!

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted him.

What I meant to post was that you could restore it like that, but you couldn't hand it out for inspection.

This is possible also... if anyone has this that wants to restore a mixed card then pm me... it takes a bit of work but is def possible

Sep 9, 2007
Just by skimming the tnr threads, I've seen alot of great ideas.

I was thinking, there should be an exclusive area for people that bought it to post up tips and tricks to improving patter and how the gimmick is made. Not that it's bad (I still haven't seen it), but there's always clever little improvements people come up with for everything. I'm sure many of you will get creative.

Obviously though, you can't really talk about them in great depth because it would expose the gimmick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
Hi guys,

First off, I do not own any torn/restored card effects, therefore I have no idea how any of them are done.

That being said, can anyone give me an idea as to the level of difficulty between "Bich's TNR" and "Garcia's Torn"? Obviously I know that "Torn" doesn't "change" the card like TNR does, however is the change in TNR optional whereby you just restore the original specs card like in Garcia's "Torn" (I'm assuming that's the way it is with Garcia's Torn)? Don't get me wrong....I like the idea of the card "changing" in TNR, but I'm just wondering about he level of difficulty between the two? Is TnR harder, or is Torn harder, or are they about the same less the gimmick? Does Torn utilize a gimmick too??

If these questions are too touchy to answer for exposure reasons then I will understand. Although I'm hopeful that someone can at least give me an idea as to the level of difficulty between the two - fully realizing of course that TnR has a gimmick. Oh, and believe me whichever one that I may possibly go with I will practice to the hilt before I show it to anyone! Thanks for any help!!

garcia's torn is insanely difficult. actually, not really, but it is very tough, with lots of very delicate times, where you are very exposed. it does not use a gimmick.

TnR is rather easy; its self working. the prep is much more difficult, where you must create a gimmick, rather than just carry a dupe.

Garcia's method is easily exposed during the tearing of the card, but it ends rather cleanly.

TnR's method is impossible to expose during the tearing of the card, but there is a time period between revealing the card, and making the swap, that you run the risk of exposure.

overall, TnR is better. You show the parts cleanly, and there are no funny movements, like there are in Garcia's torn.

Nov 11, 2007
Dinuba, CA.
Thanks "basement" for the info regarding the differences between TnR and Torn. Not to take anything away from "basement's" opinion, but are there perhaps any other opinions out there regarding the differences between these two effects, including difficulty level etc.?? Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'm relying a lot on your opinions as to which one to possibly go with. Right now, it seems like TnR! Thanks again!!

Sep 1, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I recently posted a similar response on a different thread, but...

TnR is much easier to do than TORN. The only potentially ''harder" part would be making the gimmick. If you ever performed or owned Box Monster you would know what kind of thing I mean. The trick is easy, but making the gimmick can be hard (although i have not made it yet, the gimmick looks a lot easier to make in TnR than in Box Monster - although thats kind of irrelevant).

TnR looks much less angle sensetive. TORN is a great trick, but after performing it, TnR looks like it would be a lot less "risky" of a trick. In TORN, those of you who own the trick might agree, if your fingers make a wrong slip you could easily ruin the whole trick. TnR is much harder to mess up because the gimmick does most of the work for you.

TORN is a great trick that can use ANY card a spectator chooses and it can be signed. It is also "more impromptu", if you will, because you need no constructed gimmick. TnR, however, seems much cleaner, less angle sensetive, and is easier to do. You can destroy any card, but if you do the transformation, that new, transformed card can't exactly be "random".

TnR requires a gimmick, and if you hand out the card at the end, it is basically impossible to do it with a signed card. Besides that, I think it is a better trick than TORN. But as far as difficulty in performance, I can't see any way TORN is easier except for the way you hand the card out for examination at the end.

Nov 11, 2007
Dinuba, CA.
Thank you very much Steve for that detailed post. I'm definitely leaning more and more towards TnR, which I'm really happy about because it's less expensive than Torn, plus I get the feeling Chris Kenner is a great teacher of the effect - and funny too!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results